Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Big East Football

Re: Big East Football

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    If you remember a few years back when WVU beat Georgia then Oklahoma in bcs bowls WVU or the Big East still never got any respect from anybody on tv so I don't see it changing this year.
    Problem is, the conference has dwindled considerably since. Bobby Petrino and Brian Kelly, two of the more promising coaches within the conference, left for other jobs, as did the coach of WVU at the time, Rich Rodriguez.

Take away the Big East's automatic BCS bid, and Houston likely receives the bid at-large over WVU.

This has been debated ad-nausem in the Realignment thread, but the Big East is the most ineptly run conference in all of sports with the Big 12 being a close second. I'm halfway surprised the Big East didn't file an injunction preventing WVU from claiming the BCS bid while suing its own conference, but it just goes to show how the Big East doesn't want to lose money by doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sad that teams that finish higher in the polls get left out of the big BCS bowls.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I, for one, hope WVU gets run out of the stadium and gives their fans an early preview of what life will be like when they play Oklahoma, Texas and OSU on a yearly basis.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I, for one, hope WVU gets run out of the stadium and gives their fans an early preview of what life will be like when they play Oklahoma, Texas and OSU on a yearly basis.
    We for whatever reason tend to fare better walking into a place with an "us against the world" type attitude. I don't know if its something in the air here but we can't handle being the big dog but we just thrive on being the underdog.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Its great to be hated b/c when people hates you that means you must be doing something right.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Its great to be hated b/c when people hates you that means you must be doing something right.
    Or just being a bunch of entitled brats by suing to leave a conference early when you agreed to the exit terms with everyone else.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Damn, think how much Hitler must have been doing right (where is Marge when you need backup?).

Godwin's Law!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Or just being a bunch of entitled brats by suing to leave a conference early when you agreed to the exit terms with everyone else.
    The players and fans have nothing to do with that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    We for whatever reason tend to fare better walking into a place with an "us against the world" type attitude. I don't know if its something in the air here but we can't handle being the big dog but we just thrive on being the underdog.
    That didn't work too well against LSU. I guess you can call running up 500 yards of offense a moral victory though.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    That didn't work too well against LSU. I guess you can call running up 500 yards of offense a moral victory though.
    No we got our butts kicked that night because we turned the ball over 5 times, hard to win when you turn the ball over that much.

FWIW the only team in the state of WV that posts "moral victories" is MooU.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Considering the circumstances, how many teams they completely shut down, and how the year progressed... I'll take a butt kicking and a BcS game where we aren't the most undeserving team in them.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

If you remember a few years back when WVU beat Georgia then Oklahoma in bcs bowls WVU or the Big East still never got any respect from anybody on tv so I don't see it changing this year.
    Very true. Aside from the title game, bowl games have turned into nothing more than glorified exhibitions. Some teams are happy just to be there, some are just going thru the motions at the end of a dissapointing season, or perhaps the elevation/termination of their current coaching staff, and some treat their bowl game as if they were playing for the national title. But no matter how the teams involved prepare for the game, unless you're a fan of the particular teams involved, you have little invested, so no matter the outcome, your preception of the teams involved rarely changes.

TCU & Boise have been able to garner a level of respect the last few years, but they still fight an uphill battle. It takes teams decades of constitant winning to become ingrained in the college football landscape. Unfortunetly for the Big East, there is nobody that defines what OSU, Florida, Texas, Notre Dame, USC, Oklahoma, etc... have come to represent on the football field. WVU is the closest, but now they're departed for "greener" pastures.

No matter what WVU does, the Big East is in a no win situation in terms of gaining any measure of respect by winning their BCS game. Lose, and some will say the conference is what everyone thought it was, win and its a decent win for a team suing to get its way out as quick as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    No matter what WVU does, the Big East is in a no win situation in terms of gaining any measure of respect by winning their BCS game. Lose, and some will say the conference is what everyone thought it was, win and its a decent win for a team suing to get its way out as quick as possible.
    Considering they are playing Clemson, its possible. It's the two best teams from the two worst conferences.

Even better, they proposed it. (According to message board musings, that is. I haven't verified this.)
    Last edited by paintmered; 12-05-2011 at 09:12 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Even better, they proposed it.
    The previous administration proposed it. Oliver Luck was not part of that. Just for clarification. It had its purpose to sustain the Big East should someone else had left after Cryami, VT, and BC left.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?