Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Big East Football

Re: Big East Football

The Big East bumped the ACC for the #5 spot among the 6 BCS conferences this week according to Jeff Sagarin. The ACC had an absolutely atrocious weekend with Miami losing to K-State, NC State getting drilled by UC, Maryland getting thumped by Temple (!) and UVA losing to USM. The funny thing is that moving Pitt and Syracuse over to the ACC column in the rankings actually widens the Big East's lead in the rankings.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    The Big East bumped the ACC for the #5 spot among the 6 BCS conferences this week according to Jeff Sagarin. The ACC had an absolutely atrocious weekend with Miami losing to K-State, NC State getting drilled by UC, Maryland getting thumped by Temple (!) and UVA losing to USM. The funny thing is that moving Pitt and Syracuse over to the ACC column in the rankings actually widens the Big East's lead in the rankings.
    Is it wrong that this made me laugh out loud? Probably, but I might as well laugh now; things could be about to get very, very bad.

I'm a big time Marquette fan and Im a bit worried as to what the demise of the Big East will mean to their future. My advise to Marquette- find 20 guys on campus and form a football team. You can't be any worse than Syracuse.
    Then join the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I'm a big time Marquette fan and Im a bit worried as to what the demise of the Big East will mean to their future. My advise to Marquette- find 20 guys on campus and form a football team. You can't be any worse than Syracuse.
    Then join the ACC.
    Wait, isn't that what Villanova did?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Then join the ACC.
    A suggestion was made in another thread that I like.

The basketball only Catholic schools in the Big East (minus Notre Dame) should band together and form their own basketball only conference and add other Catholic schools (Xavier)

Marquette
    Georgetown
    Seton Hall
    Providence
    DePaul
    Villanova
    St Johns
    Xavier

It would be a small conference, but not too geographically taxing and would provide some great basketball.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

UConn seems to have called this meeting of the football presidents Sunday. First rumors from Sporting News is that its to vote on Temple being invited for all sports. Others are saying its a call to tie up any loose ends on a mass exodus of the Big East:

WVU to SEC
    UC, Louisville, TCU, USF to Big 12
    UConn and Rutgers to ACC or Big 10.

And thus making the buyout and waiting period a moot point as there will be no big east football if the mass exodus is true.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

After seeing Pitt, USF, and WVU play this year I don't think any of them are head and shoulders better than Cincinnati. It'd be nice to win the conference again.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I think WVU is the best by a large margin. After that, I see 7 teams that are all capable of beating/losing to every team in the conference.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    I think WVU is the best by a large margin. After that, I see 7 teams that are all capable of beating/losing to every team in the conference.
    Maybe 6. Unfortunately I think Louisville is worst by a relatively wide margin. Hope I'm wrong, but I'll be pretty surprised if Louisville wins more than 2 league games.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    UConn seems to have called this meeting of the football presidents Sunday. First rumors from Sporting News is that its to vote on Temple being invited for all sports. Others are saying its a call to tie up any loose ends on a mass exodus of the Big East:

WVU to SEC
    UC, Louisville, TCU, USF to Big 12
    UConn and Rutgers to ACC or Big 10.

And thus making the buyout and waiting period a moot point as there will be no big east football if the mass exodus is true.
    WVU isn't going to the SEC. They have no TV market, no recruiting base, horrible academics and a fan base that has a dismal national reputation. People can keep dreaming, but it's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    WVU isn't going to the SEC. They have no TV market, no recruiting base, horrible academics and a fan base that has a dismal national reputation. People can keep dreaming, but it's not going to happen.
    TV market I grant you besides the fact we get more of Pittsburgh than Pitt does and a share of DC. Not to mention most of the SEC was built on such outstanding TV markets!

Yes Maryland, Tidewater (Va), Ohio, Western Pa, Jersey don't ever produce anything for Division 1 football.

Dismal National Reputation? I saw an article (don't have a link) that we were top 20 in highest merchandise sales in the nation.
    Last edited by Slyder; 10-14-2011 at 09:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

UC's O-Line is terrible. The RT just completely whiffed and gave up a sack. I get getting beat every now and then, but how can you just totally miss a guy that's coming at you?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    UC's O-Line is terrible. The RT just completely whiffed and gave up a sack. I get getting beat every now and then, but how can you just totally miss a guy that's coming at you?
    Very carefully....

This game has been tough to watch though.

Yeah you just gotta wonder what Collaros could do with a real line to protect him. Every single time he drops back he's having to avoid the rush before he plants his back foot.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Ew.

Turn Off Ads?