Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Big East Football

Re: Big East Football

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    UL fans desperately want to join the B12. I still think the B12 is a better, more stable league to be in than Big East.
    The B12 is unquestionably a better football conference. No argument here on that.

When WVU made the jump the B12 was definitely more stable, but I don't necessarily agree now. IIRC, the Big East finally increased its exit fee to an amount that will make departing members flinch a little. On the other hand, in the B12, Texas and Oklahoma can afford to leave at any time.

As a Big East fan, I don't feel great about a conference that's lost 3 key programs in the past year. As a B12 fan, I wouldn't feel great about a conference that's lost the same number over two years and could lose its two marquee programs at any time.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    Outright titles don't mean squat! All that matters is winning your BCS Bowl, in that aspect we are 3-0, Cincy is 0-2. And no cheap shot to Cincy, that is 1 of 3 Big East teams (USF and Rutgers being the others) that I have the upmost respect for and I hate to see left behind. Hopefully the Big 12 will do another raid and pluck Cincy and USF from the Big East.

Cincy is a good natural rivalry for both teams that can easily travel to the road games, and USF is great for recruiting purposes.

Efh Loserville, I hope that revert back to CUSA.

As a UC fan, I'm really sad to see WVU go, but I want no part of a move to the B12. Now that the Big East has finally added new members, I'm pretty happy with the conference (although I really preferred BYU over SDSU). Going into 2013, the Big East really represents the upper crop of mid majors in football, which is exactly what it should be. I think WVU has higher aspirations for its football program, so maybe the B12 is a better fit. UC will never spend the money it will take to compete in the B12, so I think it would be a terrible fit. On the other hand, they can compete quite well in the new Big East as they've done in the past.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Fair enough, and I don't necessarily disagree with you, but you don't really have any room to say you were the only one keeping us relevant when yesterday was the first BCS game since the 07 season. And you haven't even won the Big East outright since I don't remember when.

Cincinnati has won the conference 3 outta the last 4 years, and two of those were outright.
    During WVU's down (Stewart) period, no one else in the conference stepped and performed, particularly the embarrassments in the BCS bowls. WVU is the only Big East team that has performed on the national stage since VT, BC, and Miami took off (aside from UL's one good season).

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    During WVU's down (Stewart) period, no one else in the conference stepped and performed, particularly the embarrassments in the BCS bowls. WVU is the only Big East team that has performed on the national stage since VT, BC, and Miami took off (aside from UL's one good season).
    UC did have an undefeated regular season. They were seconds/inches from playing in the National Championship game.

We all know what happened. Kelly bolted for ND. The Cats got throttled by the Gators in Tim Tebow's final college game.

Point of order: does getting shellacked by LSU at home count as performing on the national stage?

West Virginia is a nice program, one which will be missed by the Big East, but these delusions of grandeur are downright laughable.

While we're omitting the Bill Stewart era should we also forget the ten year period before VT, FSU, BC and Miami took off for the ACC where the saviors of the Big East finished in the top 25 exactly once and whose sole bowl win came in the Music City Bowl?

West Virginia had a nice run under Rich Rodriguez, beating up on dregs of the Big East and the call-ups from Conference USA. It's funny how once Rich Rod left town and the CUSA transplants started to improve their play that the dominance of our great conference savior started to wane.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    Point of order: does getting shellacked by LSU at home count as performing on the national stage?

West Virginia is a nice program, one which will be missed by the Big East, but these delusions of grandeur are downright laughable.

While we're omitting the Bill Stewart era should we also forget the ten year period before VT, FSU, BC and Miami took off for the ACC where the saviors of the Big East finished in the top 25 exactly once and whose sole bowl win came in the Music City Bowl?

West Virginia had a nice run under Rich Rodriguez, beating up on dregs of the Big East and the call-ups from Conference USA. It's funny how once Rich Rod left town and the CUSA transplants started to improve their play that the dominance of our great conference savior started to wane.
    Being 12th on the all time wins list plus 5th on the BCS wins list is hardly a delusion of grandeur. We are that damn good!

Being 12th on the all time wins list plus 5th on the BCS wins list is hardly a delusion of grandeur. We are that damn good!
    Shame the rest of the nation disagrees:

htt

Of course I cringed when I saw this poll. For a school that thrives on an "its us against the world" mentality where they are hated by everyone, this only adds more fuel to the fire.

IMO, I would rank WVU as a four star program out of five. The only reason I say four is because 1. Lack of national championships and 2. No real recruiting ground to speak of. West Virginia isn't rich in football talent so any talent they harness usually comes from neighboring states or pipelines in either Florida or Texas.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

WVU will be in the Big 12 next year, and the Big East can't do anything about it.
    I wouldn't bank on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I wouldn't bank on it.
    The best way I've heard this explain. You pay someone to pave a drive way they get it half done and bolt. You sue, court tells them to pay you x dollars for the unfinished work. Thats what will happen in this case should it get close to the deadline. The RI court especially has no means to enforce any injunction it files and the WV judge would be writing his own political death certificate ruling that WVU must play in the Big East for the 27 months.

Plus this I would say would be like you getting offered a better position in another company and having to stay at the crappy job after you accept the new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    The best way I've heard this explain. You pay someone to pave a drive way they get it half done and bolt. You sue, court tells them to pay you x dollars for the unfinished work. Thats what will happen in this case should it get close to the deadline. The RI court especially has no means to enforce any injunction it files and the WV judge would be writing his own political death certificate ruling that WVU must play in the Big East for the 27 months.

Plus this I would say would be like you getting offered a better position in another company and having to stay at the crappy job after you accept the new one.
    You may not be familiar with how equitable remedies work, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see them used here.

And a court certainly can't force WV to show up to play a Big East schedule, but they can definitely prevent WV from joining the Big XII in the meantime. Just like if you signed a valid non-compete with that crappy company, they couldn't force you to keep showing up, but they could damn sure keep you from taking that better one under the right circumstances. This case is nothing like the driveway paving one.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Shame the rest of the nation disagrees:

htt

Of course I cringed when I saw this poll. For a school that thrives on an "its us against the world" mentality where they are hated by everyone, this only adds more fuel to the fire.

IMO, I would rank WVU as a four star program out of five. The only reason I say four is because 1. Lack of national championships and 2. No real recruiting ground to speak of. West Virginia isn't rich in football talent so any talent they harness usually comes from neighboring states or pipelines in either Florida or Texas.
    Spot on, I do have to agree with everything you said. 4 star program is what we are and I think that we are trying everything in our power to bring home just 1 Mythical National Championship. Everyone goes on about how the odds are better in basketball but you know as well as I do in the state of West Virginia the only sport that matters to a wild rabid fan salivating at the mouth for a National Title is WVU Football!

Basically what I'm saying is for a lot of West Virginians a National Championship in basketball would be great, but the state would burn down in celebration when the football team brings one home!

Spot on, I do have to agree with everything you said. 4 star program is what we are and I think that we are trying everything in our power to bring home just 1 Mythical National Championship. Everyone goes on about how the odds are better in basketball but you know as well as I do in the state of West Virginia the only sport that matters to a wild rabid fan salivating at the mouth for a National Title is WVU Football!

Basically what I'm saying is for a lot of West Virginians a National Championship in basketball would be great, but the state would burn down in celebration when the football team brings one home!
    I think its equal now. Huggins has brought basketball to the forefront of the state and really Huggins is the only one that could have done it. If you need proof, check back to the Kentucky-West Virginia Elite Eight. If anything, I would say football is 1A and basketball is 1B.

I only say WVU is a four star program because they aren't at that five star, and I don't know if they will ever be. If a five star opening comes up (Alabama, Michigan), you have to worry whether or not your four star coach will jump ship, case in point Rich Rodriguez. WVU might luck into a coach who will stay for 20 years (Nehlen), but you have to think that most will use it as a stepping stone for the next big job.

As for basketball, I think WVU is going to have it hard in basketball. They won't be going through the gauntlet of the Big East, but traveling will even it out. Imagine having to play in Lawrence against Kansas on Thursday night and then back to Morgantown on Saturday to prep against Baylor. The Big East is a brutal conference, but I think a lot of people are underestimating the rest of the Big 12. TCU, Oklahoma, and Iowa State might be the most winnable games in the conference.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think its equal now. Huggins has brought basketball to the forefront of the state and really Huggins is the only one that could have done it. If you need proof, check back to the Kentucky-West Virginia Elite Eight. If anything, I would say football is 1A and basketball is 1B.

I only say WVU is a four star program because they aren't at that five star, and I don't know if they will ever be. If a five star opening comes up (Alabama, Michigan), you have to worry whether or not your four star coach will jump ship, case in point Rich Rodriguez. WVU might luck into a coach who will stay for 20 years (Nehlen), but you have to think that most will use it as a stepping stone for the next big job.
    I think Rich Rod leaving pretty much sealed the deal that WVU isn't an elite school. You don't have a home grown, alumni coach bolt for Michigan if he thought WVU was a top tier school. I think the jump to the Big 12 will help them in terms of national recognition because I think most people looked down on the Big East as a football conference.

As for basketball, I think WVU is going to have it hard in basketball. They won't be going through the gauntlet of the Big East, but traveling will even it out. Imagine having to play in Lawrence against Kansas on Thursday night and then back to Morgantown on Saturday to prep against Baylor. The Big East is a brutal conference, but I think a lot of people are underestimating the rest of the Big 12. TCU, Oklahoma, and Iowa State might be the most winnable games in the conference.
    I don't really think this is that big of a deal. How is that different from UK having to go down to Florida and then be back in Lexington to play Tennessee? It would be something else if it was a bus trip but I would imagine for most of their games they will fly. Heck in the Big East WVU could have to play in Tampa and then in Syracuse in a weeks span.

The real terror for travel is going to be the new Big "East".

I would never say that WVU is amongst the elite of the elite in college football. We don't have the tradition of an Alabama, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, OSU, USC, etc. We don't pull top recruits, have an NC, etc. (basically everything WVRed said).

I would agree with the 4 out of 5 stars.

Turn Off Ads?