Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
Results 316 to 327 of 327

Thread: Big East Football

  1. #316
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,547

    Re: Big East Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Sure. This is also the most successful run of WVU football in their history. Three huge bowl wins in the last 7 years, conference championships in 6 of the last 9 years, 2 top 5 finishes, etc. I'd say there are only 10 or so programs that have had as good of a run as WVU has over the last 7 or so years, and that includes the ridiculous Bill Stewart era.
    The Big 12 will be a good test of your faith in them. Good luck

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #317
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    646

    Re: Big East Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    PLEASE present your evidence of this.
    In the past decade Boise State has finished higher in the AP and Coaches Bowl eight out of ten years. Additionally in that time span Boise State has finished in the top ten four times vs. only two top ten finishes for West Virginia.

    In the past four years Boise States gone out of conference and beaten Oregon twice, won at Georgia and beat Virginia Tech on a "neutral" site in Washington DC. In that same span they've three games, all of which came against opponents who finished the season in the top fifteen teams in the country.

    The BCS bowl argument is a strawman argument given that the only way Boise State (or for that matter any non-BCS school) gets a shot at playing in a BCS game is by running the table. The fact that WVU was able to play in the Orange Bowl with three losses doesn't make them better than a one loss Boise State team that got shafted and had to play in the Las Vegas bowl.

  4. #318
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,430

    Re: Big East Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I'm not sure that means anything.
    And yet, you thought that the strength of schedule rating from that site meant something.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  5. #319
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Big East Football

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    And yet, you thought that the strength of schedule rating from that site meant something.
    SOS was relevant to our discussion on winning percentage.

    What do those power rankings tell us?

  6. #320
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,430

    Re: Big East Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    SOS was relevant to our discussion on winning percentage.

    What do those power rankings tell us?
    That based on whatever formula that website uses, Boise has had better seasons than WVU in 7 of the last 9 years.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  7. #321
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,682

    Re: Big East Football

    At some point you have to realize that you're not comparing apples to apples and they're both great programs.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  8. #322
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,430

    Re: Big East Football

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    At some point you have to realize that you're not comparing apples to apples and they're both great programs.
    I would agree with your conclusion, but I disagree that it's not a valid comparison. They both compete in the FBS, right?

    But yeah, both great programs. If they were stocks, I'd be a "buy" on both of them.

    I had an issue with the idea that Boise hasn't been as "successful" over the last 10 years as WVU.

    12-1 (and so on) is more successful than 10-3 (and so on). Finishing higher in the polls and computer rankings is more successful. A quick wiki search shows 16 former Broncos and 13 former Mountaineers on current NFL rosters. That's more successful. The difference in their level of play, strength of schedule, etc., isn't that great.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  9. #323
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Big East Football

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I would agree with your conclusion, but I disagree that it's not a valid comparison. They both compete in the FBS, right?

    But yeah, both great programs. If they were stocks, I'd be a "buy" on both of them.

    I had an issue with the idea that Boise hasn't been as "successful" over the last 10 years as WVU.

    12-1 (and so on) is more successful than 10-3 (and so on). Finishing higher in the polls and computer rankings is more successful. A quick wiki search shows 16 former Broncos and 13 former Mountaineers on current NFL rosters. That's more successful. The difference in their level of play, strength of schedule, etc., isn't that great.
    I've since rescinded my comment that the success of the two programs is not comparable. I still feel WVU has been much more successful because they've played a much, much more difficult schedule. Final rankings are based a lot on record, and Boise has a good record because of the schedule they played. If they played in the SEC this year, I certainly don't think there is any way they would have finished 6th in the country, or whatever they finished. The same logic applies to WVU, but they've proven it in a much, much tougher conference, even if it is the Big Least.

  10. #324
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,682

    Re: Big East Football

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I would agree with your conclusion, but I disagree that it's not a valid comparison. They both compete in the FBS, right?

    But yeah, both great programs. If they were stocks, I'd be a "buy" on both of them.

    I had an issue with the idea that Boise hasn't been as "successful" over the last 10 years as WVU.

    12-1 (and so on) is more successful than 10-3 (and so on). Finishing higher in the polls and computer rankings is more successful. A quick wiki search shows 16 former Broncos and 13 former Mountaineers on current NFL rosters. That's more successful. The difference in their level of play, strength of schedule, etc., isn't that great.
    If Boise had a stronger schedule, that would probably come through a stronger conference. A stronger conference means a better TV deal. A better TV deal means better exposure for recruiting. Better recruiting means more wins????

    If West Virginia played in a lesser conference, their schedule wouldn't be as tough. If their schedule wasn't as tough, they'd have more wins. If they had more wins, they'd be ranked higher. Without AQ status they make ??? BCS games.

    Of course, everything I said above is just mere speculation and conjecture. Not all programs and not all conferences are created equal in college football. Given that reality, I just don't agree that it's an apples to apples comparison.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  11. #325
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,798

    Re: Big East Football

    Adios, Mountaineers. And leave the 20 million on your way out the door.

    West Virginia University announced Tuesday it has settled a lawsuit with the Big East for an unspecified amount, clearing the way for the conference power Mountaineers to join the Big 12 in July in time for the fall football season.
    http://www.cnnsi.com/2012/football/n...2_a3&eref=sihp
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  12. #326
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Big East Football

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Adios, Mountaineers. And leave the 20 million on your way out the door.



    http://www.cnnsi.com/2012/football/n...2_a3&eref=sihp
    It's weird to be leaving, but it had to be done. I'll miss the Pitt rivalry, and the geography, but I'm excited for the challenge of the Big XII. Playing Oklahoma and Texas every year sure beats the heck out of playing Rutgers and UConn.

    The $20 million will be made back in no time. I'm hardly worried about that.

  13. #327
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,833
    Everything about the conference is going to be weird now. I think the level of play and competitiveness will be fine, but the logistics are all crazy. It's hard to develop any real rivalries or hate when you're literally playing all sorts of random schools scattered all over the place. Ah well, unfortunately that's all part of.the college football business.

    Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25