Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Big East Football

Re: Big East Football

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Sure. This is also the most successful run of WVU football in their history. Three huge bowl wins in the last 7 years, conference championships in 6 of the last 9 years, 2 top 5 finishes, etc. I'd say there are only 10 or so programs that have had as good of a run as WVU has over the last 7 or so years, and that includes the ridiculous Bill Stewart era.
    The Big 12 will be a good test of your faith in them. Good luck

2. Turn Off Ads?

PLEASE present your evidence of this.
    In the past decade Boise State has finished higher in the AP and Coaches Bowl eight out of ten years. Additionally in that time span Boise State has finished in the top ten four times vs. only two top ten finishes for West Virginia.

In the past four years Boise States gone out of conference and beaten Oregon twice, won at Georgia and beat Virginia Tech on a "neutral" site in Washington DC. In that same span they've three games, all of which came against opponents who finished the season in the top fifteen teams in the country.

The BCS bowl argument is a strawman argument given that the only way Boise State (or for that matter any non-BCS school) gets a shot at playing in a BCS game is by running the table. The fact that WVU was able to play in the Orange Bowl with three losses doesn't make them better than a one loss Boise State team that got shafted and had to play in the Las Vegas bowl.

I'm not sure that means anything.
    And yet, you thought that the strength of schedule rating from that site meant something.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    And yet, you thought that the strength of schedule rating from that site meant something.
    SOS was relevant to our discussion on winning percentage.

What do those power rankings tell us?

SOS was relevant to our discussion on winning percentage.

What do those power rankings tell us?
    That based on whatever formula that website uses, Boise has had better seasons than WVU in 7 of the last 9 years.

At some point you have to realize that you're not comparing apples to apples and they're both great programs.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    At some point you have to realize that you're not comparing apples to apples and they're both great programs.
    I would agree with your conclusion, but I disagree that it's not a valid comparison. They both compete in the FBS, right?

But yeah, both great programs. If they were stocks, I'd be a "buy" on both of them.

I had an issue with the idea that Boise hasn't been as "successful" over the last 10 years as WVU.

12-1 (and so on) is more successful than 10-3 (and so on). Finishing higher in the polls and computer rankings is more successful. A quick wiki search shows 16 former Broncos and 13 former Mountaineers on current NFL rosters. That's more successful. The difference in their level of play, strength of schedule, etc., isn't that great.

I would agree with your conclusion, but I disagree that it's not a valid comparison. They both compete in the FBS, right?

But yeah, both great programs. If they were stocks, I'd be a "buy" on both of them.

I had an issue with the idea that Boise hasn't been as "successful" over the last 10 years as WVU.

12-1 (and so on) is more successful than 10-3 (and so on). Finishing higher in the polls and computer rankings is more successful. A quick wiki search shows 16 former Broncos and 13 former Mountaineers on current NFL rosters. That's more successful. The difference in their level of play, strength of schedule, etc., isn't that great.
    I've since rescinded my comment that the success of the two programs is not comparable. I still feel WVU has been much more successful because they've played a much, much more difficult schedule. Final rankings are based a lot on record, and Boise has a good record because of the schedule they played. If they played in the SEC this year, I certainly don't think there is any way they would have finished 6th in the country, or whatever they finished. The same logic applies to WVU, but they've proven it in a much, much tougher conference, even if it is the Big Least.

If Boise had a stronger schedule, that would probably come through a stronger conference. A stronger conference means a better TV deal. A better TV deal means better exposure for recruiting. Better recruiting means more wins????

If West Virginia played in a lesser conference, their schedule wouldn't be as tough. If their schedule wasn't as tough, they'd have more wins. If they had more wins, they'd be ranked higher. Without AQ status they make ??? BCS games.

Of course, everything I said above is just mere speculation and conjecture. Not all programs and not all conferences are created equal in college football. Given that reality, I just don't agree that it's an apples to apples comparison.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Adios, Mountaineers. And leave the 20 million on your way out the door.

West Virginia University announced Tuesday it has settled a lawsuit with the Big East for an unspecified amount, clearing the way for the conference power Mountaineers to join the Big 12 in July in time for the fall football season.
    http://www.cnnsi.com/2012/football/n...2_a3&eref=sihp

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Adios, Mountaineers. And leave the 20 million on your way out the door.

http://www.cnnsi.com/2012/football/n...2_a3&eref=sihp
    It's weird to be leaving, but it had to be done. I'll miss the Pitt rivalry, and the geography, but I'm excited for the challenge of the Big XII. Playing Oklahoma and Texas every year sure beats the heck out of playing Rutgers and UConn.

The $20 million will be made back in no time. I'm hardly worried about that.

Everything about the conference is going to be weird now. I think the level of play and competitiveness will be fine, but the logistics are all crazy. It's hard to develop any real rivalries or hate when you're literally playing all sorts of random schools scattered all over the place. Ah well, unfortunately that's all part of.the college football business.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

Turn Off Ads?