Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Big East Football

Re: Big East Football

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    While I'm not disputing the fact that Marinatto is in over his head, exactly what kind of alternative does he have going forward other than letting the football part of the conference completely disintegrate?

In all honesty, who else would you look to add? Nobody is leaving another BCS conference so the conference is basically forced to pick from the best of the rest and adding Boise State, Houston et al. is probably the best case scenario. UCF and SMU probably aren't currently BCS-caliber schools right now, but then again neither were UC or USF before they got invited to the Big East. If you're going to try to pick two schools who could improve exponentially with the added exposure of playing in a better conference, they seem like pretty decent options.
    Would the ncaa let the conglomeration absorb the big east bid? 32 teams (4 8 team "pods") or 36 (3 12 team "pods") division champs play each other in a "semi" then the following week a "championship" to offset loss of a regular game each pod plays its equal of another pod? Just an idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...-hike-exit-fee

If the Big East already has these teams lined up why hold the others captive? It be a waste of money on teams that won't be there to rebuild. Could you imagine the jokes if they held all the teams to the 27 months and WVU "upset" Boise and took the BcS bid on its way out the door?
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...-hike-exit-fee

If the Big East already has these teams lined up why hold the others captive? It be a waste of money on teams that won't be there to rebuild. Could you imagine the jokes if they held all the teams to the 27 months and WVU "upset" Boise and took the BcS bid on its way out the door?
    WVU signed on the dotted line for the 27 months rule. I suspect they'll be in the Big XII next season, but it will be on the Big East's terms. Maybe the folks in Morgantown should look under those couch cushions for some spare change to support the cause before setting them ablaze.

Pitt and Syracuse aren't being held captive. But they aren't trying to get out early, either.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    WVU signed on the dotted line for the 27 months rule. I suspect they'll be in the Big XII next season, but it will be on the Big East's terms. Maybe the folks in Morgantown should look under those couch cushions for some spare change to support the cause before setting them ablaze.

Pitt and Syracuse aren't being held captive. But they aren't trying to get out early, either.
    Again I ask, what does the big east gain by making them honor the 27 months? Marinatto the Moron was quoted as saying that the 27 months was based on a June notice and that 2014 would be the soonest any of the teams could leave. What does the Big East really gain if its true and all these teams (especially Boise once they get their olympic sports situated somewhere) are ready to come for next year regardless besides leaving openings for more embarrassment (Example WVU, Syracuse, or Pitt winning the conference heading out the door next year)?

Teams want to come thats great move on from the teams wanting to move on.

I have only limited legal experience but would letting TCU out of the 27 months, appointing ND as head of football expansion (even though they aren't a member for football), potential interference by the other non-football members rise up to breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract?

Can an employer make you work for him for a set period of time if you find a better job elsewhere?

William Arthur Ward

I have only limited legal experience but would letting TCU out of the 27 months, appointing ND as head of football expansion (even though they aren't a member for football), potential interference by the other non-football members rise up to breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract?
    If I am a fan of any school in the Big East, I would be furious over the bolded part.

If Notre Dame joins the Big East in all sports, then WVU, Miami, and Virginia Tech are still likely in the conference. Notre Dame's presence allows the Big East to garner a lucrative TV deal, making it the most attractive conference.

As for WVU "upsetting" Boise, I don't see Boise or Houston being the savior of that conference anymore than TCU was. Once Kellen Moore and Case Keenum move on, a return to earth is more likely, just like TCU this season with Andy Dalton.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    If I am a fan of any school in the Big East, I would be furious over the bolded part.

If Notre Dame joins the Big East in all sports, then WVU, Miami, and Virginia Tech are still likely in the conference. Notre Dame's presence allows the Big East to garner a lucrative TV deal, making it the most attractive conference.

As for WVU "upsetting" Boise, I don't see Boise or Houston being the savior of that conference anymore than TCU was. Once Kellen Moore and Case Keenum move on, a return to earth is more likely, just like TCU this season with Andy Dalton.
    I'm not saying that Boise is going to be the savior but just putting up a scenario which could happen just insert any of the new teams in there and why I ask what good comes from making teams who no longer want to be there to stay there? You're opening yourself up to more bs and problems (especially if the rumors are true about the 5 other schools joining).

And I would go so far as to say if ND joined for football Penn State might have come home and then a conference with Penn State, Miami, WVU, Va Tech, and Notre Dame as the cornerstones? I guarentee the ACC would be in no position to do jack squat.

William Arthur Ward

I think ND is more likely to join the Big12 in all but football then be forced into a swirling down the drain football conference.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I think ND is more likely to join the Big12 in all but football then be forced into a swirling down the drain football conference.
    We are talking they joined back before the first ACC raid, not now.

William Arthur Ward

Again I ask, what does the big east gain by making them honor the 27 months? Marinatto the Moron was quoted as saying that the 27 months was based on a June notice and that 2014 would be the soonest any of the teams could leave. What does the Big East really gain if its true and all these teams (especially Boise once they get their olympic sports situated somewhere) are ready to come for next year regardless besides leaving openings for more embarrassment (Example WVU, Syracuse, or Pitt winning the conference heading out the door next year)?

Teams want to come thats great move on from the teams wanting to move on.

Can an employer make you work for him for a set period of time if you find a better job elsewhere?
    The 27 months protects the remaining schools by ensuring they have a full schedule (and the revenues they generate) during the period of transition. If the replacement schools are ready to go for 2012, my guess is that things will become easier for WVU to head for the exits. But that has to happen before WVU gets their release.

And let's stop pretending like the Big East are the bad guys here. They're incompetent but they aren't the ones responsible for putting WVU in this situation. The only reason why WVU needs out the door yesterday is because their Big XII invite is contingent on them playing next season. They knew the risk and decided to make the decision anyways. The Big East has them over a barrel due to their lack of diligence, and WVU has nobody to blame but themselves for whatever penalties they incur as a result.

Also, TCU wasn't held to the 27 months rule because they never officially joined the Big East.
    Last edited by paintmered; 11-01-2011 at 11:56 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post

And let's stop pretending like the Big East are the bad guys here. They're incompetent but they aren't the ones responsible for putting WVU in this situation.
    The only reason why WVU needs out the door yesterday is because their Big XII invite is contingent on them playing next season. They knew the risk and decided to make the decision anyways. The Big East has them over a barrel due to their lack of diligence, and WVU has nobody to blame but themselves for whatever penalties they incur as a result.

Also, TCU wasn't held to the 27 months rule because they never officially joined the Big East.
    Their ineptitude and failure of leadership is precisely why we are at this point that WVU feels it must leave the big east now for the good of the program. If the Big East's office gave an iota about the football side of the equation we would not be sitting here. We shall see, I don't have enough legal training to break this down but TCU (according to rumors) was taking an awfully active role in meetings before the big 12 invited them to be let out without the 27 months could (depending on which legal eagles you listen to) have been a precedent.

When they expanded to 16 for basketball I thought it was just a means to spin off football into its own entity without leaving the basketball schools over a barrel itself but failure to address the concerns of Miami led to the departure of Syracuse, Pitt, and TCU which in turn is going to be argued invalidates the 27 month agreement because the parties that signed were not the same.
    Last edited by Slyder; 11-02-2011 at 12:11 AM.

William Arthur Ward

1) TCU was very differently situated than WV (I don't think I need to explain that), and just about any contract you pick up is going to have a clause stating that a waiver granted one time does not waive a party's right to enforce that same right later. So I don't think there's much to the argument that the Big East's waiver of the waiting period for TCU helps WV's case.

2) WV's arguments that being in the Big East is now commercially impractical are silly since it will be the same membership as when they signed up. Pitt and Syracuse aren't going anywhere, and a court's not going to save you from your own bad deal when the circumstances have not really changed (by the time Syracuse and Pitt are gone, WV will be free to go, too).

3) Incompetence is not a breach of fiduciary duties. That's pretty meritless.

4) An employer cannot force you to keep working at a job if you find a better one, but in certain circumstances (valid, narrowly tailored non-compete that was accompanied by adequate consideration), an employer can keep you from working for someone else.

5) Houston may soon fall to earth. Boise State is something silly like 125-30 since joining I-A. They're not exactly a flash in the pan, and they're not likely going anywhere. They may not be in the top 5 every year going forward, but they're likely to be good enough to be an upper-half team in every BCS league most years.

We are talking they joined back before the first ACC raid, not now.
    Whoops, makes more sense.
    Go Gators!

Their ineptitude and failure of leadership is precisely why we are at this point that WVU feels it must leave the big east now for the good of the program. If the Big East's office gave an iota about the football side of the equation we would not be sitting here. We shall see, I don't have enough legal training to break this down but TCU (according to rumors) was taking an awfully active role in meetings before the big 12 invited them to be let out without the 27 months could (depending on which legal eagles you listen to) have been a precedent.

When they expanded to 16 for basketball I thought it was just a means to spin off football into its own entity without leaving the basketball schools over a barrel itself but failure to address the concerns of Miami led to the departure of Syracuse, Pitt, and TCU which in turn is going to be argued invalidates the 27 month agreement because the parties that signed were not the same.
    I posted this in the WVU thread but I really don't see this making it to court. Its trying to get public sentiment in WVU's favor and singling out the leadership (or lack thereof) in the Big East Conference. If there is enough backlash, WVU will get out of the conference and that is what they are banking on.

If it does make it to court, WVU will win as the trial will likely be in Morgantown or Charleston but if it makes it to an appeals court out of state, it will be overturned.

If I am Marianotto, the wildcard for me is a guy who I wouldn't have ever thought to mention, but Oliver Luck. Luck is probably the sharpest mind for WVU and I have said I have thought Luck could run the conference better than Marianotto. However, Luck has also played both sides of the fence in conference discussions and a lot of his past quotes could be used against him and WVU if the Big East wanted to go that route.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I posted this in the WVU thread but I really don't see this making it to court. Its trying to get public sentiment in WVU's favor and singling out the leadership (or lack thereof) in the Big East Conference. If there is enough backlash, WVU will get out of the conference and that is what they are banking on.

If it does make it to court, WVU will win as the trial will likely be in Morgantown or Charleston but if it makes it to an appeals court out of state, it will be overturned.

If I am Marianotto, the wildcard for me is a guy who I wouldn't have ever thought to mention, but Oliver Luck. Luck is probably the sharpest mind for WVU and I have said I have thought Luck could run the conference better than Marianotto. However, Luck has also played both sides of the fence in conference discussions and a lot of his past quotes could be used against him and WVU if the Big East wanted to go that route.
    Luck was cautious with his mincing of words. Almost never mentioned the Big East. It was always something like (paraphrasing) we (WVU) will remain relevant on a national scene in football.

William Arthur Ward

Rich Rodriguez weighs in (Unless you are a WVU fan, this is priceless):

West Virginia Moving On - YouTube

Turn Off Ads?