Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Philippe Valiquette released

Philippe Valiquette released

Didn't see it mentioned anywhere, just saw this morning that Valiquette was released on Thursday. That brings the 40 man down to 39.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Philippe Valiquette released

That's disappointing. Lefties with an arm like his don't come around that often. I can't seem to find any stats for him this year -- has he been hurt?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I can't seem to find any stats for him this year -- has he been hurt?
    Yes. Apparently he tore a muscle in his side or back.

Great arm but absolutely no secondary pitches. I'll be surprised if he develops into a serviceable reliever.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

When I saw this yesterday I was kind of shocked. I have to wonder if there isn't something more to the story. Last year the guy was clocked throwing 100 MPH. This year he gets hurt and before he even goes out on rehab, they release him? It isn't like they dropped him from the 40 man. They outright cut him. Something else has to be up here.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    When I saw this yesterday I was kind of shocked. I have to wonder if there isn't something more to the story. Last year the guy was clocked throwing 100 MPH. This year he gets hurt and before he even goes out on rehab, they release him? It isn't like they dropped him from the 40 man. They outright cut him. Something else has to be up here.
    Wonder if an HGH suspension was coming? Nothing to base it on, but it is the first thing that comes to mind when I hear a player being released during injury/rehab.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Yeah HGH was my first thought too, to be honest.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

To me it's much ado about nothing. He's been in the system for 7 years, his WHIP has always been high and his K/9 have never been that impressive considering the arm.

I'm not sure I would've given up on him just yet but I also don't feel like it's a big loss either. It seems like the fact he was a lefty and could throw a fastball was a bit overhyped at RZ.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

He's quit and headed home once before - that could also be the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Didn't see it mentioned anywhere, just saw this morning that Valiquette was released on Thursday. That brings the 40 man down to 39.
    I'm guessing that makes room for Burton off the 60 day DL. I'd still like to see room made for Mesoraco and Phipps in Septmeber. My choices to go would be Lewis and Renteria (or maybe Hernandez). If they keep those guys, I'm guessing Negron and Valaiaka.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm guessing that makes room for Burton off the 60 day DL. I'd still like to see room made for Mesoraco and Phipps in Septmeber. My choices to go would be Lewis and Renteria (or maybe Hernandez). If they keep those guys, I'm guessing Negron and Valaiaka.
    Again, why would they just outright release a guy to make room on the 40 man. You can drop him off the roster and put him on waivers and hope he gets through in that scenario. Plus, he was on the 60 day DL, so his roster spot wasn't actually keeping anyone off of it.

There is something more to this story than him taking up a roster spot that they wanted to clear. Do you really think that they would drop a lefty with a 100 MPH fastball instead of Kristopher Negron who is not hitting .200 in Louisville if it was simply about clearing a roster spot?

He actually wasn't on the 60 day. He was optioned down March 14, and subsequently put on Louisville's DL, so he was taking up a spot. Doesn't explain why he wasn't simply outrighted though. Can't say I'm all that upset, I know he tantalized some here but I never had any confidence in him becoming a legit Major Leaguer.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    He actually wasn't on the 60 day. He was optioned down March 14, and subsequently put on Louisville's DL, so he was taking up a spot. Doesn't explain why he wasn't simply outrighted though. Can't say I'm all that upset, I know he tantalized some here but I never had any confidence in him becoming a legit Major Leaguer.
    Ah. Well, I stand corrected. But yeah, it still doesn't make sense to just release him unless there is more to the story.

Again, why would they just outright release a guy to make room on the 40 man. You can drop him off the roster and put him on waivers and hope he gets through in that scenario. Plus, he was on the 60 day DL, so his roster spot wasn't actually keeping anyone off of it.

There is something more to this story than him taking up a roster spot that they wanted to clear. Do you really think that they would drop a lefty with a 100 MPH fastball instead of Kristopher Negron who is not hitting .200 in Louisville if it was simply about clearing a roster spot?
    Agree, just pointing out the state of the roster.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Ah. Well, I stand corrected. But yeah, it still doesn't make sense to just release him unless there is more to the story.
    Through his performance (and other various factors), Valiquette has repeatedly shown time and time again that he is not part of the team's future. Releasing him was the cheapest option, too. The Reds eventually need to clear space on the 40-man roster, and Valiquette was going to be the first one to go anyway. If the Reds outrighted him to AAA, he just would've left as a free agent at the end of the season, so why waste the time/money on him?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Wonder if an HGH suspension was coming? Nothing to base it on, but it is the first thing that comes to mind when I hear a player being released during injury/rehab.
    Valiquette couldn't be tested for HGH being on the 40-man roster.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?