Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds recall Volquez

-The Insider-

Reds recall Volquez

The day after punching out 12 batters, the Cincinnati Reds have recalled Edinson Volquez from Triple-A Louisville. Volquez threw seven innings, giving up two runs, one earned, and punching out 12 while only walking two.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Reds recall Volquez

Oh goody.

Best Case Scenario, Volquez steps into the rotation and pitches well during September upping his trade value and piquing the interest of some team and the Reds hold for some value or keep him as a candidate.

Worst Case Scenario, Volquez steps into the rotation and pitches well during September covincing the Reds that he's the answer and no rotation moves are needed this winter.

The team has proven to be just foolish enough to rely on him again and they shouldn't no matter how he does IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Oh fudge. When will they learn. He is always lights out in Louisville, and then the FO thinks he's Cy Young. He'll probably have a couple of good starts and then go back to his norm, thus ruining his trade value while Dusty rolls him out every five days in hopes he gets it back.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I hope he comes up and succeeds. If the Reds can get a good return, trade him. If not, keep him. The further he is from TJ surgery, the better he will perform.
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

This is no surprise. They left him in Louisville on the first to get one more start. I think the Reds sent a message by leaving him there as long as they did. The problem is not in his arm. September will determine his future as a Red. Honestly, I don't see any other top of the rotation options.

"Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    I hope he comes up and succeeds. If the Reds can get a good return, trade him. If not, keep him. The further he is from TJ surgery, the better he will perform.
    Agreed. People are too quick to write him off. Again, I would approach the 2012 rotation as if he didn't exist. If he could be dealt for real value, deal him. If not see what happens. A spot always opens up in a 5 man rotation and he just may be ready to step in and perfrom with more time away from TJ. If not, what is the harm?

Even if he's horrible, its time to shut Leake down. His innings are near maxing out.

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Agreed. People are too quick to write him off. Again, I would approach the 2012 rotation as if he didn't exist. If he could be dealt for real value, deal him. If not see what happens. A spot always opens up in a 5 man rotation and he just may be ready to step in and perfrom with more time away from TJ. If not, what is the harm?

Even if he's horrible, its time to shut Leake down. His innings are near maxing out.
    I don't understand why you are constantly beating the drum that Volquez should not even be thought about going into 2012. No one, and I mean no one, has him written into the rotation in stone. But give him a shot in Sept and in ST. We all get it though, he is not a sure thing in any manner of speaking.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

I think of lot of folks just don't want to go through his antics on the mound--the first inning woes, the walks, the high pitch counts which wear out the bullpen. I think every Reds fan wants him to succeed badly. The Reds need a hammer, but many can't see that ever happening and realize that the hammer has to come through free agency. They also have seen his act too often to believe he'll ever be anything but a 5th starter. All Reds fans want to win and want EV to do well, but have no confidence he will.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I don't understand why you are constantly beating the drum that Volquez should not even be thought about going into 2012. No one, and I mean no one, has him written into the rotation in stone. But give him a shot in Sept and in ST. We all get it though, he is not a sure thing in any manner of speaking.
    The "Drum I'm beating," is to get 5 solid guys not counting Volquez. If he's good, he'll step up and replace one who might go down or struggle or simply push the least effective to long relief. If he's not, there is no hole in the rotation due to his failure. Last year the Reds had Volquez penciled in as the ace. They named him opening day starter and did nothing to address the rotation with more certain arms even though Volquez was one of many questions for the starting staff. Walt still hasn't wiped the egg off of his face from that "brilliant" approach to winning the division, so I'm concerned about a repeat of the negligence that created this season's fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The "Drum I'm beating," is to get 5 solid guys not counting Volquez. If he's good, he'll step up and replace one who might go down or struggle or simply push the least effective to long relief. If he's not, there is no hole in the rotation due to his failure. Last year the Reds had Volquez penciled in as the ace. They named him opening day starter and did nothing to address the rotation with more certain arms even though Volquez was one of many questions for the starting staff. Walt still hasn't wiped the egg off of his face from that "brilliant" approach to winning the division, so I'm concerned about a repeat of the negligence that created this season's fiasco.
    5 solid guys ain't happening my friend. We have 2 right now, Cueto and Leake. Anyone else we pin our hopes on has a "yeah, but..." attached to them. But bang on...

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    5 solid guys ain't happening my friend. We have 2 right now, Cueto and Leake. Anyone else we pin our hopes on has a "yeah, but..." attached to them. But bang on...
    Yep. Need to go get some. Even one would help a lot. The concern is that a few good starts and the team will count Volquez as the 3rd solid guy. I could just see this stupid regime passing on acquiring a starter based on a good September from Volquez. They did it last year.

The front office made some mistakes last winter, but no one could have projected the extent to which the Reds rotation imploded this season. Not even the late Jeane Dixon could have foretold:

* That Bailey and Cueto would land on the DL coming right out of the chute.
    * That Arroyo would suffer a bout of mono that would sap his strength all season long.
    * That Wood would fall prey to the dreaded sophomore jinx.
    * That Volquez would experience a fall of epic proportions, reduced from ace all the way to being sent back to Louisville to rediscover his groove.
    * That Leake, arguably our most reliable starter for a long stretch of the season, would get embroiled in an embarrassing shoplifting incident and also get marooned to Louisville for the first time in his short career.

Even as reputable an authority as David Cameron from Fangraphs was asserting last December that the Reds had the best rotation in the NL Central division. We did, potentially, have the best rotation, but when even your most dependable, veteran innings-eater (Arroyo) goes down along with every one of the young guns, then you have to chalk it up to us being snakebit.

In hindsight, it's easy to blame the front office, but I have no doubt that this kind of disastrous turn of events would have sunk the seasons of nearly every franchise in baseball, not just the Reds. The exceptions: probably the Yankees, Red Sox or Phillies, but as we all know, they can buy their way out of any misfortune.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I think of lot of folks just don't want to go through his antics on the mound--the first inning woes, the walks, the high pitch counts which wear out the bullpen. I think every Reds fan wants him to succeed badly. The Reds need a hammer, but many can't see that ever happening and realize that the hammer has to come through free agency. They also have seen his act too often to believe he'll ever be anything but a 5th starter. All Reds fans want to win and want EV to do well, but have no confidence he will.
    There aren't any Reds fans that like that. I'm not saying he's going to be a superstar but 2 years ago, a lot of people were really down on Cueto. Lot of walks, high pitch counts, etc. It's easy for us as fans to want to chuck these guys when they don't play up to snuff but this isn't fantasy baseball and there's no reason to get rid of guys just because they try our patience. Young starters with Volquez' stuff don't come along every day. Josh Hamilton's gone and there's nothing we can do about it. Maybe he won't be any more than a 5th starter but there's no reason not to find out.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?