Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How depressed have the Reds made you this year?

How depressed have the Reds made you this year?

I'm speaking in reference to other years, I really think this is the most depressed I've ever been since losing the 95 NLCS. I was born in 79 and my first Reds memory is Rose breaking Cobb's record. Some of you may say that 91 was a depressing year coming off a championship, even though I remember the 90 NLCS and World Series like it was yesterday and think the emotional high was enough for me as a kid for about 3 seasons, so 91 didn't affect me.

Now this year with the high expectations have really affected my mood, and I can't remember another whole season like this one that has just really got me in a funk. Today I should be jubilant, my beloved WVU Mountaineers are about to kick off and right now all I'm thinking about is how this time last year we were counting down our magic number, now we are fighting for our lives just to make it to .500. This really sucks and I hope the owners will do something about it. But making a list I'd say these are the top 5 times I've been depressed over the Reds.

1. 1995 NLCS-I actually cried when the Reds lost Game 1, I knew they were done after that.
    2. When Barry Larkin retired, I still felt he had another 1-2 seasons left in the tank, and he should have signed with someone in order to get his 2 HRs for a career 200 and 40 RBIs for a career 1,000.
    3. 2011 season-anyone who is a Reds fan knows why.
    4. 2000-85 wins after a season where they won 96, and had acquired the best player in the game at the time.
    5. 2006-frustrating to see the Reds fade in September and October narrowing missing the playoffs, that team was fun to watch with their offense as well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How depressed have the Reds made you this year?

OP i think you should seek help if you are getting depressed by what the reds do.

this season is a good example of how fine the line is between winning and losing. A few thing go your way, or don't go your way, and that is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post
    this season is a good example of how fine the line is between winning and losing. A few thing go your way, or don't go your way, and that is it.
    Really? That's how you sum up what went wrong for this club?

here is what went wrong

dusty baker idiocy
    loving veterans like arroyo, lewis renteria,rolen
    having moron baker start volquez and consistently give up runs in the first inning
    mis using bullpen
    ah the list is too long and infuriating

In case you forgot the Reds won 91 games and the division last year with more or less this EXACT team and management. Generally in sports you don't make major changes when you're winning, especially when most of your team is young and under contract.

And don't say the Reds should have added a " legit TOR pitcher and #4 hitter to replace Rolen and protect Votto." Every team is looking for elite pitching and hitting and tell me which players the Reds could have aquired that would have been true impact players.

[QUOTE=Roush's socks;2477062] "Generally in sports you don't make major changes when you're winning"

The Phillies swept the Reds in the playoffs last year and added Hunter Pence, and Cliff Lee after adding Roy Oswalt last year.

The Red Sox added Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford.

Just saying, not really true that winning teams don't add players to get better.

[QUOTE=mroby85;2477075]
    "Generally in sports you don't make major changes when you're winning"

The Phillies swept the Reds in the playoffs last year and added Hunter Pence, and Cliff Lee after adding Roy Oswalt last year.

Just saying, not really true that winning teams don't add players to get better.
    So the Reds should operate like a Phillies/Red Sox/Yankees team even though they have the budget of a small market team? I am living in reality.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

[QUOTE=mroby85;2477075]
    "Generally in sports you don't make major changes when you're winning"

Agreed.

The Brewers and Cardinals knew the Reds weren't that great. They made moves to take the division. The Reds stood pat. Reds could have made themselves better, but didn't.

I do think it is a fine line between losing and winning, in certain situations. But the Reds had alot of things go wrong this year (Bailey, Cueto miss first month, Arroyo gets Mono, Rolen needed surgery, no legit LFer, no legit cleanup hitter, leadoff hitter K's too much, etc.). And management did a poor job filling in the holes and making good decisions.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

[QUOTE=Roush's socks;2477077]
    Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post

So the Reds should operate like a Phillies/Red Sox/Yankees team even though they have the budget of a small market team? I am living in reality.
    Actually, I was responding to your exact quote about how winning organizations are run. 1 winning season in 15 years doesn't qualify you in that category in my opinion.

[QUOTE=mroby85;2477086]

Actually, I was responding to your exact quote about how winning organizations are run. 1 winning season in 15 years doesn't qualify you in that category in my opinion.
    You're right that in baseball where there is no salary cap 5-6 franchises have the luxury of continuing to add talent and payroll. The Reds aren't one of those teams.

[QUOTE=Roush's socks;2477089]
    Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post

You're right that in baseball where there is no salary cap 5-6 franchises have the luxury of continuing to add talent and payroll. The Reds aren't one of those teams.
    You could say the same things about successful teams in leagues with a cap like the NFL. Patriots add Ochocinco/Haynesworth this year, Moss in the past, etc. They have been very successful and still aren't afraid to make changes to improve their team in the offseason. I think it just comes down to good teams generally being proactive, while I do agree with you that it's tougher in baseball since there isn't a level playing field, i'm just saying successful teams do make changes to improve.

I still love watching and listening to the Reds no matter what kind of season they're having. The only thing I could be depressed about is that there's only one more month left to go

In case you forgot the Reds won 91 games and the division last year with more or less this EXACT team and management. Generally in sports you don't make major changes when you're winning, especially when most of your team is young and under contract.

And don't say the Reds should have added a " legit TOR pitcher and #4 hitter to replace Rolen and protect Votto." Every team is looking for elite pitching and hitting and tell me which players the Reds could have aquired that would have been true impact players.
    91 games - the miracle combacks = 78-84.

The Reds wining the division only got us some warm and fuzzies, a prompt and embarrassing sweep in the playoffs (the Reds were clearly the very worst team among the playoff teams, including the wild cards) & then an extension for the very worst manager this organization has ever had.

A rare case where winning cost us more growth that losing would have (maybe Dusty gets fired after last season & this season could be the feel good breakout year with a real manager).

Dusty deserves no credit for last year in my opinion. He chewed on a toothpick and watched his players get 2 out hits & have comeback wins in the last at bat. They repeatedly won games that this year they are losing because they simply can't overcome Dusty.

It's just to much to ask a team to do. It's hard enough to beat the other team, but when you are forced to overcome your own manager...it just becomes to high a mountain to climb.

Quote Originally Posted by nux fan View Post
    here is what went wrong

dusty baker idiocy
    loving veterans like arroyo, lewis renteria,rolen
    having moron baker start volquez and consistently give up runs in the first inning
    mis using bullpen
    ah the list is too long and infuriating
    You could literally take all of your posts put them on the cards fan forum and just change the name from Dusty to Larussa and they would fit in nicely over there. Loving veterans, bullpen management, over managing, under managing. It is amazing how much the complaints are similar, blaming the losses on the manager. There are even posts saying they will not attend another game until Laloser is gone.

Turn Off Ads?