Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

Re: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Trade the number 1 pick and miss out on the best quarterback prospect since John Elway? The Colts almost have to pick Luck given the chance. I don't think they want to deal with having to choose between the future of the team and honestly the savior of the franchise in Indianapolis, without Manning the Colts would be gone to another city and we would not have Lucas Oil stadium or be hosting the Super Bowl.
    If I am in charge, I draft Luck and release Manning, build a nice statue outside Lucas Oil of him and move on. Manning is my all time favorite football player but this is a business and it makes little business sense to pass on a potential star in Andrew Luck who will hopefully be a star for the next 15 years or so as opposed to keeping Manning who has maybe 3 years tops. Irsay and Polian have proved during the unbeaten run in 08' they will do what is best for the franchise as opposed to what the fans want.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    If I am in charge, I draft Luck and release Manning, build a nice statue outside Lucas Oil of him and move on. Manning is my all time favorite football player but this is a business and it makes little business sense to pass on a potential star in Andrew Luck who will hopefully be a star for the next 15 years or so as opposed to keeping Manning who has maybe 3 years tops. Irsay and Polian have proved during the unbeaten run in 08' they will do what is best for the franchise as opposed to what the fans want.
    I hope you are right and they have the gall to do that, I actually think that Bill Polian has ran his course here and Chris needs to go with him. Bill is great and we as fans owe him gratitude for the job he has done but its time to move on.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

So there is absolutely no chance of keeping them both? Kinda out of the loop down here. I know there have been rumblings that Peyton doesn't want Luck drafted but I still was holding out hope he would stay for a few more years and teach Luck. Maybe take over as a coordinator after he's done.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

It probably would be the best thing for the team to do, but there is a 0% chance of that happening. Truth be told, I think they should draft Luck and keep Manning. Let Manning play and let Luck learn from Manning and let Luck take over there after. There's little to no chance the Colts will have the opportunity to take another QB of Luck's ilk anytime soon.

However, this is putting the cart before the horse. Some things still have to go right for the Colts to even be in a position to take Luck.

I am not really a big Bob Kravitz fan but this sums up why Manning and Luck cannot be on the same team.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...not-work-Colts
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Stat geek...and proud
    I still think that Manning has done so much for this franchise and city that he deserves to go out on his own terms. If that means Luck sits for two years, or they trade the pick so be it. He deserves that, but it's probably not the smartest thing to do, so I'll have to come to terms with it. I will probably literally cry the day Manning is released/traded.
    Last edited by gilpdawg; 12-19-2011 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I still think that Manning has done so much for this franchise and city that he deserves to go out on his own terms. If that means Luck sits for two years so be it.
    Luck will not come here if he has to sit for 2 years nor should he have to.

I am not to terribly sure Manning wouldn't want to leave Indy anyway. He has maybe 3 years to keep playing and I am sure he wants one more shot to win another ring. This team will likely not be a SB contender anytime soon so why stay?.

Stat geek...and proud
    Luck will not come here if he has to sit for 2 years nor should he have to.

I am not to terribly sure Manning wouldn't want to leave Indy anyway. He has maybe 3 years to keep playing and I am sure he wants one more shot to win another ring. This team will likely not be a SB contender anytime soon so why stay?.
    I accidentally posted that before I was finished. I edited the post with what I was fully trying to say. You are absolutely right, I'm just having a hard time coming to terms with it.

So as a Browns fan, I'm intrigued. How do you Indy guys think (not hope) this will play out?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    So there is absolutely no chance of keeping them both? Kinda out of the loop down here. I know there have been rumblings that Peyton doesn't want Luck drafted but I still was holding out hope he would stay for a few more years and teach Luck. Maybe take over as a coordinator after he's done.
    Archie Manning has already hit the media circuit talking about it not happening. I think the Colts are actually in a much more tenuous situation than anyone could have expected. Manning will have a huge cap number if the Colts keep him on the team heading into next year. What team would be willing to give up much to assume that hit on their team? And couple that with him being 36 in March and coming off major neck surgery and you have a recipe for disaster.

Archie backed off on the Luck thing for the record and changed his position to say he does think Luck and Manning could coexist. Minnesota decided to not draft a QB when they had Favre because they didn't want to "upset" him. How'd that turn out for them?

If the Colts have the #1 pick and they don't keep Luck, I will be very very disappointed. They have an opportunity to be set at the QB position for another 15 years post Manning. The NFL is a QB league and while I don't expect Luck to be as good as Manning, I expect him to at least be a good QB and passing up on a guy like Luck will set the franchise back quite a ways.

Manning is a veteran professional. I'm sure deep down he wouldn't like the idea of Luck being drafted as his replacement. But to suggest he couldn't "handle it" and that it would "screw up the team" is nothing more than a false narrative.

If the Colts pass on Luck they are absolutely insane. If Peyton can't be a big boy and deal with it, oh well.

The Colts want nothing to do with the choice of drafting Luck IMO. I think the best thing that could happen to the Colts franchise would be for Petyon to not heal to the level he needs to and he makes the wise decision to retire and the Colts draft Luck or trade down for extra picks and draft Barkley.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So as a Browns fan, I'm intrigued. How do you Indy guys think (not hope) this will play out?
    I am thinking and hoping the Colts get the #1 pick and they take Luck. Peyton Manning literally saved this franchise from moving to LA but sports is a business and you have to do what is in the best interest of the franchise so in this case they will need to release him. Like I stated earlier I doubt Manning would be to terribly heart broken having to leave Indy where his chanches of winning a ring in the next 3 years or so is not to good.

If the Colts release Manning you will have the typical fans proclaim they will never follow the team again blah blah blah but trust me, once the Colts start winning again they will be back on board.

It would take a Bobby Thompson type comeback for the Colts to lose the #1 pick.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...IndyStar.com|s

Turn Off Ads?