Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

Re: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

Anybody think this is to far out there ? What if Indy secures the #1 pick and instead of drafting Andrew Luck they trade out of the #1 .pick and draft say Robert griffin or Matt barkley? That is if either or both were to come out? My thinking being that you could possibly pick up another 1st rounder and draft another postion of need ? Or trade Manning for picks sort of like the Herschel Walker trade.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post
    Anybody think this is to far out there ? What if Indy secures the #1 pick and instead of drafting Andrew Luck they trade out of the #1 .pick and draft say Robert griffin or Matt barkley? That is if either or both were to come out? My thinking being that you could possibly pick up another 1st rounder and draft another postion of need ? Or trade Manning for picks sort of like the Herschel Walker trade.
    From someone who doesn't have a dog in the fight, that seems like an in-between strategy -- not getting THE quarterback* who might keep you on top for a long time like Manning did, but trading down just a few spots (ensuring you could still get Barkley or Griffin) won't yield the absolute king's ransom needed to rebuild and win in time for Manning to lead it. It's a recipe for sniffing the playoffs a couple more times then floundering for awhile.

* Presuming they haven't studied film out the wazoo and come to the conclusion Luck isn't all that.

Understandably, it's complicated because of how inextricably Manning is enterwined with "Indianapolis Colts," but from a pure football perspective, they're best served going all one way or the other -- sell the Luck pick to the highest bidder (whether or not it leaves them in position to draft another top QB), open the checkbook, and do everything they can to win while Manning is still around; or give Peyton a parade and a fond adieu, then draft Luck and play him.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Im a little worried What with the the rams and vikings and browns all right there in the 3 or so win category. That the colts might have the same results the did back in 85 or 86 ? During that season i remember having the inside track to the 1# pick and being psyched that we were going to draft the heisman trophy winner Vinny Testaverde. Being a colts fan and a hurricanes fan i couldnt belive what i thought was a for gone conclussion . Much to my dismay at the time Gary hogaboom comes in and wins those last few games and No Vinny for the colts. So im a little nervous

Im a little worried What with the the rams and vikings and browns all right there in the 3 or so win category. That the colts might have the same results the did back in 85 or 86 ? During that season i remember having the inside track to the 1# pick and being psyched that we were going to draft the heisman trophy winner Vinny Testaverde. Being a colts fan and a hurricanes fan i couldnt belive what i thought was a for gone conclussion . Much to my dismay at the time Gary hogaboom comes in and wins those last few games and No Vinny for the colts. So im a little nervous
    And that worked out, Testaverde was average at best
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Stat geek...and proud
    That wouldn't be a terrible idea. Roster has a lot of holes, and no depth.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    It would take a Bobby Thompson type comeback for the Colts to lose the #1 pick.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...IndyStar.com|s
    I'm not sure about that. I think it's very possible the Colts could win 1 of the last 2 games. It's also very likely the Rams don't win again. I do think for some reason that Minnesota will win 1 of their 2 games though.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'm not sure about that. I think it's very possible the Colts could win 1 of the last 2 games. It's also very likely the Rams don't win again. I do think for some reason that Minnesota will win 1 of their 2 games though.
    But if it ends up being a three way tie, the Colts have played the worst schedule so they get the pick.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

But if it ends up being a three way tie, the Colts have played the worst schedule so they get the pick.
    I understand that, but the Colts could win their last 2 games and the Rams may win none. Same for Minnesota.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I am thinking and hoping the Colts get the #1 pick and they take Luck. Peyton Manning literally saved this franchise from moving to LA but sports is a business and you have to do what is in the best interest of the franchise so in this case they will need to release him. Like I stated earlier I doubt Manning would be to terribly heart broken having to leave Indy where his chanches of winning a ring in the next 3 years or so is not to good.

If the Colts release Manning you will have the typical fans proclaim they will never follow the team again blah blah blah but trust me, once the Colts start winning again they will be back on board.
    x2
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Polian said he doesn't envision a scenario where the Colts trade down. He was also recently non-committal about Manning's return to Indy next year.

In other news, Luck looks to be represented by the same agency representing Peyton.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Polian said he doesn't envision a scenario where the Colts trade down. He was also recently non-committal about Manning's return to Indy next year.

In other news, Luck looks to be represented by the same agency representing Peyton.
    When I heard Polian was flying all the way out to Stanford to watch Luck around Week 4 I had a gut feeling he had a plan that Manning wasn't coming back and they were going to have a shot at Luck.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

When I heard Polian was flying all the way out to Stanford to watch Luck around Week 4 I had a gut feeling he had a plan that Manning wasn't coming back and they were going to have a shot at Luck.
    Which also fuels the speculation of a Polian/Peyton rift. Would (will?) be interesting to see whose side Irsay takes in that battle.

Which also fuels the speculation of a Polian/Peyton rift. Would (will?) be interesting to see whose side Irsay takes in that battle.
    I think early on Polian knew Manning wouldn't be back this year and thus would have a real good shot at the #1 pick. Why else would you fly all the way to California to see a player like Luck that early on in the season?

I think early on Polian knew Manning wouldn't be back this year and thus would have a real good shot at the #1 pick. Why else would you fly all the way to California to see a player like Luck that early on in the season?
    Yes, but perhaps that "lack of faith" rubbed Peyton the wrong way? Or maybe Peyton is just tired of nepotism ruining the organization he helped grow?

Yes, but perhaps that "lack of faith" rubbed Peyton the wrong way? Or maybe Peyton is just tired of nepotism ruining the organization he helped grow?
    You might be right but I am not reading into all this that deeply. As bad as things have been this year I truly hope Polian stays because until recently I considered him a brilliant GM and certainly a candidate for Canton. However if the real problem in the organization from what I am told is his son Chris and Chris is let go then no way Bill stays. Other than that I don't see Irsay firing Bill Polian.

Likely this off season Manning will be let go and it will be a very sad day but if are truly a fan of Manning the player then you will be happy for him because he will no doubt pick a franchise that has a real shot at a SB.

Turn Off Ads?