Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031 LastLast
Results 421 to 435 of 464

Thread: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

  1. #421
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I kinda understand this but I look at it this way. Colts fans owe Manning the world. If not for him we likely have no franchise, so if he kinda spouts off a little bit that rubs us the wrong way so be it. IMO he has earned the right to spout off within reason.

    Having said all that the Colts need to cut Manning, build a statue for him, put him on the Ring of Honor, name a street after him, give him a free meals for a lifetime at St. Elmo's and then draft Andrew Luck.
    I agree 100% with your second point, but I don't think adults ever have the right to act entitled, even if your past has warranted some additional respect.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #422
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    What exactly has he said that makes him a spoiled child?
    His whining about Indy "not being a good place to heal", all his friends being fired, releasing press releases about being "healthy" in an effort to force the Colts hand and/or gain public sympathy, etc. Peyton- football is a business and people get fired, especially after seasons like 2011. Put your big boy undies on, get healthy and pick whatever team you want to play for after the Colts release you.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

  4. #423
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,582

    Re: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    His whining about Indy "not being a good place to heal", all his friends being fired, releasing press releases about being "healthy" in an effort to force the Colts hand and/or gain public sympathy, etc. Peyton- football is a business and people get fired, especially after seasons like 2011. Put your big boy undies on, get healthy and pick whatever team you want to play for after the Colts release you.
    I love Manning and what he has done for the Colts but its time to move on. I don't know why they are doing the song and dance act when its obvious that he will be released. The Colts should respect him by letting him move on if that is what he wants to do.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  5. #424
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I love Manning and what he has done for the Colts but its time to move on. I don't know why they are doing the song and dance act when its obvious that he will be released. The Colts should respect him by letting him move on if that is what he wants to do.
    I think Irsay is honestly waiting until the last possible minute to see if Manning could play next year. I still think he will draft Luck, but if Manning shows he is healthy before the deadline, I believe Irsay will want to keep both.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

  6. #425
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,805

    Re: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    The Colts drafting Luck just makes sense. Manning cannot throw a football full strength yet, something of a requirement at his position. Even at full strength, Manning turns 36 next month. There have only been 3 QBs to win a Super Bowl at age 36 or later (John Elway, Jim Plunkett and Johnny Unitas- who was injured during that Super Bowl). Looking at the history of successful older QBs you can assume that, even completely healthy, Manning only has 3 years or so left, and the quality of his play in those seasons would most likely gradually decline.

    Simply put, I don't think the Colts win a Super Bowl with Manning, as sad as that realization is.
    Everything you said makes perfect sense. But fans aren't always coldly logical and Irsay knows many Colts fans will react negatively to releasing Manning. His defense will be that he really had no choice, and he's determined to control the narrative in that regard. But from Manning's perspective, if the official team story is going to be "we had to move on, he's done," he has no reason to play along with that when he doesn't think he's done. I'm sure his attitude is, "you're making a business decision, that's your right, but don't you try to dodge it by claiming my career's over."

    Pride and PR. In the end, the Colts will get Luck, Manning will play elsewhere, no harm done, life goes on.
    Not all who wander are lost

  7. #426
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,475

    Re: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

    No matter what happens, he's not worth $28mill to any team so we have to start with the assumption that his contract with the Colts will be ripped up. At that point, Peyton holds the cards. Does he want to come back to Indy along with A Luck or does he want to go elsewhere? ESPN has reported that he'd play next year on an incentive laden contract. Well I'm sure the Colts would take him back on that sort of deal. I don't see that this is Irsay's call at all.

  8. #427
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,788

    Re: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    No matter what happens, he's not worth $28mill to any team so we have to start with the assumption that his contract with the Colts will be ripped up. At that point, Peyton holds the cards. Does he want to come back to Indy along with A Luck or does he want to go elsewhere? ESPN has reported that he'd play next year on an incentive laden contract. Well I'm sure the Colts would take him back on that sort of deal. I don't see that this is Irsay's call at all.
    And this is what irks me. I believe most Colts fans and Irsay would love for Peyton to come back and take less. His agent during Super Bowl week essentially said the Colts will either honor their contract or he'll walk, no exceptions. Maybe that was posturing, I don't know. And maybe the Luck situation is irking Manning. Still, I bet the Colts would still be willing to give Peyton half of his original contract if he moved the date up and proved to be healthy. If he's healthy, I want Peyton back with Luck on the sideline for at least a year or two.

  9. #428
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,582

    Re: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    And this is what irks me. I believe most Colts fans and Irsay would love for Peyton to come back and take less. His agent during Super Bowl week essentially said the Colts will either honor their contract or he'll walk, no exceptions. Maybe that was posturing, I don't know. And maybe the Luck situation is irking Manning. Still, I bet the Colts would still be willing to give Peyton half of his original contract if he moved the date up and proved to be healthy. If he's healthy, I want Peyton back with Luck on the sideline for at least a year or two.
    I think the Colts and Luck will be better served by letting him play from day 1, they take lumps and grow just like Peyton did.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  10. #429
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    4,560

    Re: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

    It doesn't make sense for him to re-sign with the Colts, for the same reason he might have to sign an incentive-laden contract. What if he has to start the season on the PUP list, who starts at QB for the Colts until he can come off it?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

  11. #430
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,805

    Re: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    No matter what happens, he's not worth $28mill to any team so we have to start with the assumption that his contract with the Colts will be ripped up.
    True enough.

    At that point, Peyton holds the cards. Does he want to come back to Indy along with A Luck or does he want to go elsewhere? ESPN has reported that he'd play next year on an incentive laden contract. Well I'm sure the Colts would take him back on that sort of deal. I don't see that this is Irsay's call at all.
    Irsay gets 100% of the call on the Colts' side. If he wants to get on with the Luck era, the Colts won't offer Manning a new contract on any terms. I'm guessing that's what Irsay wants to do, believing it best for the long term, but he knows it will be unpopular, thus the attempt to mitigate the slings and arrows by downplaying any possibility Manning could ever be his old self again. He may well be right about all of it, by the way, but at the moment it's clear Peyton doesn't agree with him, thus the back-and-forth.
    Not all who wander are lost

  12. #431
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I think the Colts and Luck will be better served by letting him play from day 1, they take lumps and grow just like Peyton did.
    I agree and regardless of what Luck tells the press, he is a competitor and wants to play now. Its a nice fantasy to imagine Manning restructuring his contract and mentoring Luck but it is nothing more than a fantasy. Manning's priority is getting one more chance at another ring and not mentoring someone to one day take his job. Luck's priority is to get on the field asap and prove his worth as a #1 pick. The fantasy thing just doesn't jive.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  13. #432
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,788

    Re: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion


  14. #433
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,582

    Re: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

    Irsay did the smart thing by putting the ball in team Manning's court. I still think they should just agree to a divorce and let Peyton move on.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  15. #434
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,475

    Re: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Irsay did the smart thing by putting the ball in team Manning's court. I still think they should just agree to a divorce and let Peyton move on.
    I think he was stating what I was a few days ago. That is that Peyton's going to be released so it's his call where he goes

  16. #435
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,582

    Re: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think he was stating what I was a few days ago. That is that Peyton's going to be released so it's his call where he goes
    There have been multiple reports, the last I heard was from the Colts beat writer, he said he thinks its 50/50 that Peyton is back.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25