Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

Re: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I will disagree with your assessment of the D line and the safeties. I think the safeties other than Bethea are terrible and the D line is much improved over the last few years.
    Now that Bullitt is out, I agree on the Safeties. I still think the D-Line gets pushed around too much. I know the defense is built on speed, but I still think they need a massive 320+ pound tackle who can occupy 2 blockers on every play without getting pushed too far backwards. That would allow the quickness at LB to move in and tackle the ball carrier before he's 5 or 6 (or 15) yards down field. With this defense, that extra blocker is freed up to seal off that LB and spring the runner through the hole (which is already 3 yards downfield) for an extra 5 or 6 yards before somebody else can move over to make the play.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    For most teams you are right. I don't know if Irsay has the cajones to draft a QB while Manning is still around*(see below), and we don't even know if Luck comes out. He's got another year if he wants it. Hypothetically, if Indy has the top pick, and Luck knows he has to sit behind Manning for 3 years at least, does he even declare? It's easy to say "put him on the "Aaron Rodgers/Brett Favre plan" but Luck has to be willing to do that or it will create problems. I don't know enough about the kid to judge but all athletes have egos that need feeding.

I've heard some people saying they should go for Luck and then trade Manning. That isn't going to happen. Ever. Irsay would rather hang himself then do wrong by Peyton. He knows Peyton Manning saved professional football in Indiana and he knows he owes Manning the right to play for the Colts as long as he wishes.
    I agree. Mostly I want them to take advantage of Manning's final years. This team is getting beat on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. If they could trade that high pick to add two ro three guys who could fortify the offensive and defensive lines, I think that would be much better. Fix those spots and take a couple shots of the super bowl. Those high picked QBs are a crap shoot. Manning worked out great, but there are a lot of QBs picked in the top 10 picks in the draft who turn out to be nothing,

Besides, with the money they are paying Manning, I'm not sure thay can afford the cap hit a QB taken number 1 might cause. There are other positions that need filled and bringing in a young QB just to have him murdered because the line can't block and they are left with receivers that can't get open because all the cap money is being consumed by the QB position seems a waste. Build a solid young foundation that should be mature and performing at a high level in 2 or 3 years and then go get the QB who will be Manning's successor.
    Last edited by mth123; 10-04-2011 at 06:48 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Now that Bullitt is out, I agree on the Safeties. I still think the D-Line gets pushed around too much. I know the defense is built on speed, but I still think they need a massive 320+ pound tackle who can occupy 2 blockers on every play without getting pushed too far backwards. That would allow the quickness at LB to move in and tackle the ball carrier before he's 5 or 6 (or 15) yards down field. With this defense, that extra blocker is freed up to seal off that LB and spring the runner through the hole (which is already 3 yards downfield) for an extra 5 or 6 yards before somebody else can move over to make the play.
    Bullitt is not good, he was good a few years ago but now he is terrible. The d-line is still small but the depth and talent is the deepest in years. Going to be a long year but I think we have seen the last of Collins unless Painter gets hurt. Painter is terrible but is a better option than Collins who looks uninterested and still retired.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I thnk this team is staring 1-15 or 2-14 in the eyes right now. I think that Jim Caldwell is among the weakest and worst coaches in the league and his staff is not on the same level as the one that Tony Dungy had. I wonder if Caldwell survives the season at this point. I think the Colts will clean house and go with more of a Chris Polian guy, I just hope Chris Polian is more like Ken Griffey Jr and less like Pete Rose Jr.

Was I the only one hoping the Saints would get 70? That was one of the worst beatings I've ever seen.
    Tebow may have screwed us by bringing the broncos back to win that game.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

The commissioner should start looking into the Colts. It would be extremely difficult to prove and it would be highly damaging to the reputation of the league, but if it's found that they're tanking games then they should be stripped of ALL draft choices next year. The equivalent of the NCAA death penalty or close to it wouldn't be too harsh.

There is no way that team is this bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    The commissioner should start looking into the Colts. It would be extremely difficult to prove and it would be highly damaging to the reputation of the league, but if it's found that they're tanking games then they should be stripped of ALL draft choices next year. The equivalent of the NCAA death penalty or close to it wouldn't be too harsh.

Why just tank the Saints game? They've been competitive in the others

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Why just tank the Saints game? They've been competitive in the others
    Exactly. And if you are tanking, why do it so embarrassingly? I'd be more suspicious of the Dolphins blowing such a big late lead to the Broncos.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

This Andrew Luck stuff is really reaching critical mass. The guy's going to have an incredible expectation that will be very difficult to reach. For example if he replaces Peyton he will hasten the retirement or moving of one of the best NFL QBs ever. As good as he may be, he'll likely not ever be as good as Peyton.

Did any of you see Stanford's game on Sat night vs the Wash Huskies? Stanford used a stout running game to bowl over the Huskies. How stout? They ran for 446 yards on 44 rushes. Yep, you heard right. Over 10 yards a rush! When have you ever heard of a pro set college team with rushing numbers like that? This wasn't Woody's offense with Cornelius Greene or Rod Gerald running the show. So what did Luck have to do? Games like that hardly prepare him to carry a bad NFL team like he'll be asked to do

So the players are tanking? At the risk of losing money in their next contract? Or is the coaching staff tanking? And risk their careers? I'm not sure how this tanking in professional sports really works today.

Stat geek...and proud

Yes there is. Been obvious for awhile now that this was an untalented team being carried by Manning. If anything this just shows more of his greatness.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Age and poor draft choices have caught up with this team. The last 4 or 5 first round picks have been abysmal in my opinion.

I think that part of the issue is that Bill Polian is transitioning power to his son Chris who seems to be more in the Pat Knight/Pete Rose Jr mold than the Ken Griffey Jr/Barry Bonds mold.

Yes this team is very bad. Between some recent bad drafts and numerous injuries, this franchise has dropped like a lead balloon.

If they are trying to tank the season then they are doing a very poor job because 5 of the 7 losses have been by 10 points or less.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Age and poor draft choices have caught up with this team. The last 4 or 5 first round picks have been abysmal in my opinion.

I think that part of the issue is that Bill Polian is transitioning power to his son Chris who seems to be more in the Pat Knight/Pete Rose Jr mold than the Ken Griffey Jr/Barry Bonds mold.
    Scary.... I fear and kinda expect the same thing.

Lets add Don/Dave Shula to the mix to
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I thnk this team is staring 1-15 or 2-14 in the eyes right now. I think that Jim Caldwell is among the weakest and worst coaches in the league and his staff is not on the same level as the one that Tony Dungy had. I wonder if Caldwell survives the season at this point. I think the Colts will clean house and go with more of a Chris Polian guy, I just hope Chris Polian is more like Ken Griffey Jr and less like Pete Rose Jr.
    A Jim Caldwell team getting bludgeoned by 50+?

Been down that road. It ain't pretty. And it sucks, because the next bad thing you hear about Jim Caldwell the person will be the first.

If the Colts end up with the #1 pick, I think they shop it to whoever is willing to give up 3 #1 picks in the next 4 years for Luck. Sets the team up for the last year of Manning & the first year or two post-Manning with 7 #1s in a 4 year span. Even Polian couldn't screw that up.

Could he?

Turn Off Ads?