Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

Re: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    The commissioner should start looking into the Colts. It would be extremely difficult to prove and it would be highly damaging to the reputation of the league, but if it's found that they're tanking games then they should be stripped of ALL draft choices next year. The equivalent of the NCAA death penalty or close to it wouldn't be too harsh.

There is no way that team is this bad.
    Seriously? You really believe that?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    A Jim Caldwell team getting bludgeoned by 50+?

Been down that road. It ain't pretty. And it sucks, because the next bad thing you hear about Jim Caldwell the person will be the first.

If the Colts end up with the #1 pick, I think they shop it to whoever is willing to give up 3 #1 picks in the next 4 years for Luck. Sets the team up for the last year of Manning & the first year or two post-Manning with 7 #1s in a 4 year span. Even Polian couldn't screw that up.

Could he?
    While Bill Polian has had some recent bad drafts, I would put his record as GM up against about anyone.. 5 Super Bowls as GM is awfully impressive and something that will likely get him enshrined in Canton.

As far as next years draft, alot of it is going to come down to if Manning is even able to come back. That still is up in the air.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Seriously? You really believe that?
    I don't think the Colts are tanking games now but they have tanked games in the past.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I don't think the Colts are tanking games now but they have tanked games in the past.
    How come when the Colts do it it's "tanking" but when other teams do it "they are just resting guys for the playoffs?" Because they were undefeated once? Give me a break. It's all about getting that ring. If they felt that the best chance to win was to rest people then that's what they should have done. Nobody cares if you go undefeated if you lose in the playoffs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    How come when the Colts do it it's "tanking" but when other teams do it "they are just resting guys for the playoffs?" Because they were undefeated once? Give me a break. It's all about getting that ring. If they felt that the best chance to win was to rest people then that's what they should have done. Nobody cares if you go undefeated if you lose in the playoffs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    I am a huge Colt fan, I was just pointing out that they have tanked games/rested players in the past. How did they do in the playoffs when they rested players/tanked games?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I am a huge Colt fan, I was just pointing out that they have tanked games/rested players in the past. How did they do in the playoffs when they rested players/tanked games?
    They got to the SB

I have argued with people till I am blue in the face over this one.

I always hear...."we had a chance to make history" , "they cheated the fans who paid good money to watch the Colts/Jets game", " The Colts showed no integrity" blah, blah, blah. To me the whole season is about getting to and winning the SB. Sure they came up short but whether they tanked the Jets game or not did not matter. The Saints simply were better than the Colts that night and IMO the Colts did the right thing to rest their players the last two games of the year and go in to the playoffs rested.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    They got to the SB

I have argued with people till I am blue in the face over this one.

I always hear...."we had a chance to make history" , "they cheated the fans who paid good money to watch the Colts/Jets game", " The Colts showed no integrity" blah, blah, blah. To me the whole season is about getting to and winning the SB. Sure they came up short but whether they tanked the Jets game or not did not matter. The Saints simply were better than the Colts that night and IMO the Colts did the right thing to rest their players the last two games of the year and go in to the playoffs rested.
    Agree. At the time I wished they didnt rest their players but I also said after the first playoff game it wouldnt have any bearing on how they played.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

In my opinion, resting players for the playoffs is not the same as tanking games. To me, tanking games would suggest a team is purposely losing in hopes of landing a better draft pick. The Colts, from what I have seen, have never done such a thing.

While Bill Polian has had some recent bad drafts, I would put his record as GM up against about anyone.. 5 Super Bowls as GM is awfully impressive and something that will likely get him enshrined in Canton.

As far as next years draft, alot of it is going to come down to if Manning is even able to come back. That still is up in the air.
    I disagree with this pretty much 100%. The best thing Polian did (I think) was draft Manning. Peyton fell into the Colts lap and the rest has been history. In reality I think Polian's were lackluster at best. I do find it ironic that the Colts may just land the #1 pick in two drafts, decades apart, with a bonified franchise QB waiting to be picked.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I disagree with this pretty much 100%. The best thing Polian did (I think) was draft Manning. Peyton fell into the Colts lap and the rest has been history. In reality I think Polian's were lackluster at best. I do find it ironic that the Colts may just land the #1 pick in two drafts, decades apart, with a bonified franchise QB waiting to be picked.
    What about the Bills and the Panthers?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

So you think Edgerrin James, Jeff Saturday, Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, Bob Sanders and Dallas Clark were all lackluster picks??.

So you think Edgerrin James, Jeff Saturday, Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, Bob Sanders and Dallas Clark were all lackluster picks??.
    Didn't realize that Clark was a first rounder, thought they nabbed him later. But how about their first two picks in drafts since Bob Sanders was drafted? Marlin Jackson, Kelvin Hayden, Joseph Addai, Tim Jennings, Anthony Gonzalez, Tony Ugoh, Mike Pollak, Donald Brown, Fili Moala, Jerry Hughes, and Pat Angerer. The 2011 draft is too soon to judge so I won't include it. I think you can look at that list and understand why the Colts are in the shape they are.

He did make some good picks, but again I think you have to consider how much of an impact Manning makes on the offensive players. Edge was a good pick but just think what the Colts would have looked like with Marshall Faulk playing RB/WR with Manning for 5 or so years.

Didn't realize that Clark was a first rounder, thought they nabbed him later. But how about their first two picks in drafts since Bob Sanders was drafted? Marlin Jackson, Kelvin Hayden, Joseph Addai, Tim Jennings, Anthony Gonzalez, Tony Ugoh, Mike Pollak, Donald Brown, Fili Moala, Jerry Hughes, and Pat Angerer. The 2011 draft is too soon to judge so I won't include it. I think you can look at that list and understand why the Colts are in the shape they are.

He did make some good picks, but again I think you have to consider how much of an impact Manning makes on the offensive players. Edge was a good pick but just think what the Colts would have looked like with Marshall Faulk playing RB/WR with Manning for 5 or so years.
    Your comment that Polian's drafts other than Manning have been lackluster at best is the part I disagreed with strongly. Polian IMO will no doubt end up in Canton.

Yes he has had some dud drafts no doubt, but even the great Bob Howsam traded Tony Perez for Dale Murray and Woody Fryman so no one is perfect.

The guy who seems to be getting a free pass in all of this is Chris Polian, Bill's son and heir apparent. Over the past few seasons, Chris has been getting more and more input into the running of the team. And over the past few seasons, the Colts drafts have been going down the toilet. Coincidence???

Another thing: Have you noticed how the team's two best assistant coaches, Tom Moore and Howard Mudd, "retired" a couple of years ago, only to resurface a year later with another team? That tells me there's something toxic going on within the organization. And though I don't have any inside info, I'd take a good long hard look at Junior Polian as being the source of that toxicity.

For whatever reason, they've been left with one sorry set of assistant coaches. Other than maybe Teerlinck, there's not a one of them that would have a job on a really good staff.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

I think they gotta take a long, hard look at Jim Caldwell in the post season.

I am not one to point fingers at the coach when things go south but let put it this way, if Caldwell was fired tomorrow would anyone in the NFL hire him?

Turn Off Ads?