Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Team Rumors

Mystery Team Rumors

As the "Best Shape of My Life" is to spring training, the "Mystery Team is in on" is to the hot stove. (or at least that is what it seems like has developed the past couple of years) I thought we could track the Mystery Team rumors here.

From this morning we have:
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...l-sanchez.html
    The Mystery Team has finally showed up in Nashville! Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports (via Twitter) that, in addition to the Tigers, Angels, Royals, Dodgers, and Red Sox, a mystery team is in the mix for Sanchez.
    I believe the Mystery Team was in on someone a couple of weeks ago,but I need to go back and check.

Edit: Ah the Mystery team was in on BJ Upton before losing him to the Braves.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...rs-sunday.html
    The Braves and Phillies are locked in a fascinating bidding war with a mystery third team, tweets Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio.
    Last edited by klw; 12-04-2012 at 11:13 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mystery Team Rumors

It looks like a whole lot of mystery teams are in the mix for RA Dickey:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/87...ey-source-says

Unidentified Team is in on J Hamilton.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/j...-in-mix-120312
    Other unidentified clubs also are believed to have met with Hamilton, but his previous team, the Texas Rangers, currently is working the hardest to sign him, sources say.
    We will have to see if one of them makes a push and becomes the Mystery Team. I don't know if multiple unidentified teams is the same as having a mystery team which is in play and making a big push.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Unidentified Team is in on J Hamilton.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/j...-in-mix-120312

We will have to see if one of them makes a push and becomes the Mystery Team. I don't know if multiple unidentified teams is the same as having a mystery team which is in play and making a big push.
    I think you can put them in the same category. It certainly makes for interesting intrigue in this thread

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm

Greinke market down to 1. Dodgers 2. Angels 3. Rangers in that order with possibility of mystery team Tor?Cws?Bos?.Nats out..Braves unlikely

If the Mystery Team signs all these guys, they should have a solid pitching staff. So far:

Greinke
    RA Dickey
    Anibal Sanchez

A three-man rotation is probably not a great idea, though Dickey is a knuckleballer. They might get away with four guys. The major problem, however, is that Josh Hamilton is the only regular on the team's radar right now. We all know he's a better athlete than Billy Hamilton, but I don't think even Hamilton can do that.

Unless he's got ghost runners available.

(True story: my first real fist fight starting because of ghost runners. I'm guessing some of yours did as well.)

If the Dodgers don't get Greinke I'll be amazed. I don't want Josh. Drama attends him. Much rather be the mystery team that grabs Upton or better yet, Stanton. I mean mystery...dreaming...

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I always thought Mystery Team meant Tampa Bay, and that's why their fans had such a hard time finding the stadium.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

See, I thought the Mystery Team was Fred, Velma, Shaggy, Daphne, and the Scoob.

Last edited by Scrap Irony; 12-04-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I always thought Mystery Team meant Tampa Bay, and that's why their fans had such a hard time finding the stadium.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyh245KjIUk

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    (True story: my first real fist fight starting because of ghost runners. I'm guessing some of yours did as well.)
    Yep. And when the ghost runner kicked my butt I figured baseballwas my sport, not boxing!

Is this the same Mystery Tour the Beattles went on about 50 years ago?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Is this the same Mystery Tour the Beattles went on about 50 years ago?
    I don't know if this version is as Magical as that version 50 years ago.

I guess there was no mystery team involved in the Jason Bay deal to the Mariners. My question is, haven't the Mariners fans put up with enough?

Cut out that 50 years ago stuff, some of us feel old enough already without you people rounding years up instead of down.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?