Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 68

Thread: Zach Stewart's night

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Zach Stewart's night

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I wouldn't take back the trade, we don't win the division without Rolen last year.
    This.

    The Rolen deal got us where we needed to go.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,439

    Re: Zach Stewart's night

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    This.

    The Rolen deal got us where we needed to go.
    Maybe.

    Or maybe it was actually Orlando Cabrera that got the Reds where they needed to go.

    Seeing as how the Reds were never really in it this year sans Rolen, and his age plus health makes his 8+ million dollar salary for next year for who knows what kind of performance a little albatrossy.

    Post ASB 2010 .277 .352 .420 .772
    All of 2011 .242 .279 .397 .676

    And he turns 37 in April.

    So, I was in the overpaid camp. I was pretty alone in the "don't trade for him camp". And I still believe that. Especially if next year is more of the same as this year. Shoulder injuries sap power. Especially for guys with chronic back problems as well.
    Last edited by TRF; 09-06-2011 at 04:15 PM.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  4. #18
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Zach Stewart's night

    I was against the trade. I still think we overpaid. However, I don't think the Reds win the division w/o Rolen last year, so I wouldn't undo the trade. It's easy to forget, but he was nearly a 5 win player last year. A rebound from Rolen will be one of the biggest keys to a successful season for the Reds in 2012, IMO.

  5. #19
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,914

    Re: Zach Stewart's night

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Maybe.

    Or maybe it was actually Orlando Cabrera that got the Reds where they needed to go.

    Seeing as how the Reds were never really in it this year sans Rolen, and his age plus health makes his 8+ million dollar salary for next year for who knows what kind of performance a little albatrossy.

    Post ASB 2010 .277 .352 .420 .772
    All of 2011 .242 .279 .397 .676

    And he turns 37 in April.

    So, I was in the overpaid camp. I was pretty alone in the "don't trade for him camp". And I still believe that. Especially if next year is more of the same as this year. Shoulder injuries sap power. Especially for guys with chronic back problems as well.
    Well considering that Rolen was a near elite 3rd basemen last season, and Cabrera stunk, I'm leaning towards thinking that Rolen was the more valuable player.

  6. #20
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,439

    Re: Zach Stewart's night

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Well considering that Rolen was a near elite 3rd basemen last season, and Cabrera stunk, I'm leaning towards thinking that Rolen was the more valuable player.
    He was near elite for half a season. not so much the second half.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  7. #21
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,439

    Re: Zach Stewart's night

    2011 37 year old 3B
    Code:
    RK	PLAYER	       TEAM  	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	SB	CS	BB	SO	AVG	OBP	SLG	OPS
    1	Geoff Blum	ARI	21	5	6	1	0	2	5	0	0	2	5	.286	.348	.619	.967
    2	Chipper Jones	ATL	372	48	103	26	1	15	60	2	2	45	61	.277	.352	.473	.825
    3	Miguel Cairo	CIN	227	32	60	8	2	7	31	2	3	17	32	.264	.331	.410	.740
    4	Casey Blake	LAD	202	32	51	10	1	4	26	1	2	26	50	.252	.342	.371	.713
    5	Omar Vizquel	CHW	158	17	39	6	1	0	8	1	2	9	17	.247	.284	.297	.581
    6	Miguel Tejada	SF	322	28	77	16	0	4	26	4	4	12	35	.239	.270	.326	.596
    7	Melvin Mora	ARI	127	5	29	6	0	0	16	0	1	2	24	.228	.244	.276	.520
    Exactly what kind of rebound is anyone really expecting?
    Suck it up cupcake.

  8. #22
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,420

    Re: Zach Stewart's night

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    2011 37 year old 3B
    Code:
    RK	PLAYER	       TEAM  	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	SB	CS	BB	SO	AVG	OBP	SLG	OPS
    1	Geoff Blum	ARI	21	5	6	1	0	2	5	0	0	2	5	.286	.348	.619	.967
    2	Chipper Jones	ATL	372	48	103	26	1	15	60	2	2	45	61	.277	.352	.473	.825
    3	Miguel Cairo	CIN	227	32	60	8	2	7	31	2	3	17	32	.264	.331	.410	.740
    4	Casey Blake	LAD	202	32	51	10	1	4	26	1	2	26	50	.252	.342	.371	.713
    5	Omar Vizquel	CHW	158	17	39	6	1	0	8	1	2	9	17	.247	.284	.297	.581
    6	Miguel Tejada	SF	322	28	77	16	0	4	26	4	4	12	35	.239	.270	.326	.596
    7	Melvin Mora	ARI	127	5	29	6	0	0	16	0	1	2	24	.228	.244	.276	.520
    Exactly what kind of rebound is anyone really expecting?
    Can I hope for a Geoff Blum type of slash line?

  9. #23
    Mr. Underhill signalhome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Manchester, KY
    Posts
    441

    Re: Zach Stewart's night

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Exactly what kind of rebound is anyone really expecting?
    I'd be thrilled to get Chipper's offensive production.

  10. #24
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Re: Zach Stewart's night

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    2011 37 year old 3B
    Code:
    RK	PLAYER	       TEAM  	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	SB	CS	BB	SO	AVG	OBP	SLG	OPS
    1	Geoff Blum	ARI	21	5	6	1	0	2	5	0	0	2	5	.286	.348	.619	.967
    2	Chipper Jones	ATL	372	48	103	26	1	15	60	2	2	45	61	.277	.352	.473	.825
    3	Miguel Cairo	CIN	227	32	60	8	2	7	31	2	3	17	32	.264	.331	.410	.740
    4	Casey Blake	LAD	202	32	51	10	1	4	26	1	2	26	50	.252	.342	.371	.713
    5	Omar Vizquel	CHW	158	17	39	6	1	0	8	1	2	9	17	.247	.284	.297	.581
    6	Miguel Tejada	SF	322	28	77	16	0	4	26	4	4	12	35	.239	.270	.326	.596
    7	Melvin Mora	ARI	127	5	29	6	0	0	16	0	1	2	24	.228	.244	.276	.520
    Exactly what kind of rebound is anyone really expecting?
    Four of those seven players improved their OPS+ over the previous year. Why would an increase in production be such a surprise?

  11. #25
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,423

    Re: Zach Stewart's night

    Justin Verlander needs to watch his back now. Just saying.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  12. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,673

    Re: Zach Stewart's night

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    He was near elite for half a season. not so much the second half.
    Cabrera had an OPS+ last year of 76, Rolen had 126.

    You've got to be kidding.

  13. #27
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,799

    Re: Zach Stewart's night

    Orlando had this line in 388 PAs in the 1st half

    .245/.283/.329/.612

    That's something that holds a team back, not lifts it up.

  14. #28
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,420

    Re: Zach Stewart's night

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Orlando had this line in 388 PAs in the 1st half

    .245/.283/.329/.612
    I just threw up a little bit.

  15. #29
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,381

    Re: Zach Stewart's night

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I just threw up a little bit.
    Unfortunately, Paul Janish makes those numbers look Hall of Fameish.

  16. #30
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,420

    Re: Zach Stewart's night

    Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Unfortunately, Paul Janish makes those numbers look Hall of Fameish.
    Were you just trying to rhyme Janish with Fameish? It almost worked.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25