Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zach Stewart's night

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Zach Stewart's night

Seriously, Cabrera's 2010 season was like A-Rod in his prime (aka A-Rod on the juice) compared to Janish's 2011 season. OK, that's going a bit too far, but Janish might finish on the interstate this year. And he makes up for it by hardly ever walking and by being the worst "great" defensive player I've ever seen.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Seriously, Cabrera's 2010 season was like A-Rod in his prime (aka A-Rod on the juice) compared to Janish's 2011 season. OK, that's going a bit too far, but Janish might finish on the interstate this year. And he makes up for it by hardly ever walking and by being the worst "great" defensive player I've ever seen.
    I'm sure Paul Janish is a great guy and has a good glove, but if he gets more than 50 PA's next year my head might explode.

I was casually referring to Cabrera's veteraness (my word and its copyrighted)

I think everyone missed my point about that list though. Those weren't the top 37 year olds, they were the only 37 year olds. So out of 60+ guys to play 3B last year that was it for the 37 year olds.

The list is an outlier.

That Chipper had a great year, albeit a short one just shows how hard it is to play the game, and be healthy at that age. And Chipper has had plenty of injury issues in his career. Also, Rolen isn't nearly the hitter Chipper is or was. In the last 7 years, Rolen has hand an OPS below .800 4 times. He's sitting below .700 now. Since 2005 he's played in 130+ games twice.

What I am saying is, he's more likely to post a .720 OPS than .820 due to age and health. I'm saying 120 games might be wishful thinking and I'm saying if the Reds win next year it won't be because of Scott Rolen.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

The short-term was a big win for the Reds -- a division title. Coming in the wake of 15 years of losing, it's kind of weird that folks might minimize this.

Longer term -- the players given up will likely outperform Rolen. No surprise here -- the Reds traded young players for a vet. The short-term/long-term trade is a classic compromise GMs make in order to get deals done. Then again, EdE is now a 1B/DH, and Stewart's already been traded by the Jays. Neither guy is likely to be an impact player, but we'll see. If Rolen stays in the Reds' organization as a coach/manager/advisor, he'll continue to bring value and a continuity associated with winning to the organization.

The tale of the tape is not yet finished, but it's close, and it remains difficult for me to see how the trade has been anything but a net positive for the Reds.
    Last edited by lollipopcurve; 09-07-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    The short-term was a big win for the Reds -- a division title. Coming in the wake of 15 years of losing, it's kind of weird that folks might minimize this.
    Yep.

It was a cultural change from the Presidents office down to the clubhouse, it had an impact that can be quantified by some, and denied by others.

But it in its wake it created a wave of success, expectations, assumption... about winning, that is what I see. In many ways it's like Terry Pendleton's Braves run, it has more to do with the man than his numbers, but those ended up being an asset as well.

EE as a Blue Jay .257 .317 .462 .780 44 HR's 917 AB's He is a 1B/DH, there is talk he may move to LF.

Zach Stewart 53 IP 4.56 ERA 1.38 WHIP and coming off the game of his career thus far.

Josh Roenicke horrible in TOR, currently doing well in COL albeit in only 11 IP.

EE can make the biggest impact if he can move to LF. EE since the ASB: .299 .389 .522 .911

There were plenty of posters that wanted to see EE in LF. He had some injury issues with his wrists that limited his production in TOR early on, and he scuffled a bit in the first half of this year. But he's going to end the year with 40+ doubles and nearly 20 HR's. He's got a cannon for an arm and he's an athletic player. Transitioning him to LF shouldn't have been a problem.

I hated to see Stewart traded. I get why he was included, but since I'd have not made the trade, He'd be competing for a rotation spot with the Reds. Or possibly the future closer.

This trade was short term thinking because though it addressed an immediate need, it addressed it for only one season. That Rolen is signed long term compounds the error. Here is the line Reds 3B have posted this season: .242 .297 .388 .684 That's pretty awful. Rolen had a very good year in 2010: 471 AB's .285 .358 .497 .854 20 HR's. EE in 2010: 332 AB's .244 .305 .482 .787 21 HR's. Not quite as good, especially when considering the dropoff defensively at 3B, but then consider this... What if 2011 saw EE in LF for the Reds and a platoon of Frazier and Francisco at 3B? Heisey is the 4th OF. Gomes is never signed.

What If? was one of my favorite comics as a kid

LF offense is improved, greatly. 3B? maybe a crapshoot, but likely better offensively. Stewart adds that much more needed depth to a rotation decimated by injuries. And his presence allows the Reds to say Chapman is starting the year in Louisville as a starter.

So maybe 2010 doesn't happen, but instead happens in 2011. And does so in such a way that sets the offense up for the next 5 years. Maybe having EE in LF allows the Reds to make a bigger push for Cliff Lee. Stewart, Wood, Alonso and Sappelt for Lee?

or maybe none of that happens.

But going forward, how much can anyone REASONABLY expect from Rolen, Stewart and Encarnacion?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

1 game and the Zach Bandwagon rides again. I wish him the best and all, but he is sporting a 4.56 earnie. There was a guy last season who threw a non-perfect perfect game but was on the streets looking for a job this season. So while it was a tremendous start (Against a terrible Twins lineup) for Stewart, I'm gonna wait for prolonged success to sway my opinion on him. Good for him though, I would like to see him in the rotation full time next year.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    1 game and the Zach Bandwagon rides again. I wish him the best and all, but he is sporting a 4.56 earnie. There was a guy last season who threw a non-perfect perfect game but was on the streets looking for a job this season. So while it was a tremendous start (Against a terrible Twins lineup) for Stewart, I'm gonna wait for prolonged success to sway my opinion on him. Good for him though, I would like to see him in the rotation full time next year.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    EE as a Blue Jay .257 .317 .462 .780 44 HR's 917 AB's He is a 1B/DH, there is talk he may move to LF.

Zach Stewart 53 IP 4.56 ERA 1.38 WHIP and coming off the game of his career thus far.

Josh Roenicke horrible in TOR, currently doing well in COL albeit in only 11 IP.

EE can make the biggest impact if he can move to LF. EE since the ASB: .299 .389 .522 .911

There were plenty of posters that wanted to see EE in LF. He had some injury issues with his wrists that limited his production in TOR early on, and he scuffled a bit in the first half of this year. But he's going to end the year with 40+ doubles and nearly 20 HR's. He's got a cannon for an arm and he's an athletic player. Transitioning him to LF shouldn't have been a problem.

I hated to see Stewart traded. I get why he was included, but since I'd have not made the trade, He'd be competing for a rotation spot with the Reds. Or possibly the future closer.

This trade was short term thinking because though it addressed an immediate need, it addressed it for only one season. That Rolen is signed long term compounds the error. Here is the line Reds 3B have posted this season: .242 .297 .388 .684 That's pretty awful. Rolen had a very good year in 2010: 471 AB's .285 .358 .497 .854 20 HR's. EE in 2010: 332 AB's .244 .305 .482 .787 21 HR's. Not quite as good, especially when considering the dropoff defensively at 3B, but then consider this... What if 2011 saw EE in LF for the Reds and a platoon of Frazier and Francisco at 3B? Heisey is the 4th OF. Gomes is never signed.

What If? was one of my favorite comics as a kid

LF offense is improved, greatly. 3B? maybe a crapshoot, but likely better offensively. Stewart adds that much more needed depth to a rotation decimated by injuries. And his presence allows the Reds to say Chapman is starting the year in Louisville as a starter.

So maybe 2010 doesn't happen, but instead happens in 2011. And does so in such a way that sets the offense up for the next 5 years. Maybe having EE in LF allows the Reds to make a bigger push for Cliff Lee. Stewart, Wood, Alonso and Sappelt for Lee?

or maybe none of that happens.

But going forward, how much can anyone REASONABLY expect from Rolen, Stewart and Encarnacion?
    Encarnacion has already been a free agent and basically passed over by every team.

What he does is immaterial to valuing the trade. The Jays got EE for 1 and a half years at an undesirable rate and performed poorly. The years subsequent to the free agent seasons could not matter less.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I am all with you in terms of the one game not changing anything. I was never a fan of the trade as a win for the Reds. Thought they overpaid then and still think they overpaid now.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am all with you in terms of the one game not changing anything. I was never a fan of the trade as a win for the Reds. Thought they overpaid then and still think they overpaid now.
    The remark that struck a nerve with me was one that said they would rather have Stewart than Leake, FWIW. Leake has 2 solid seasons under his belt and was a top 10 draft pick. Respectfully I don't see a strong argument for choosing Stewart.

Pirates pick up Stewart for PTBNL
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...h-stewart.html

The Pirates acquired right-hander Zach Stewart from the Red Sox for a player to be named later, the teams announced. The Red Sox had designated Stewart for assignment on November 20th.

Stewart, 26, has pitched at the MLB level in both of the past two seasons. This is already the fourth time he has been traded since the Reds selected him in the third round of the 2008 draft. The Blue Jays acquired him in the deal that sent Scott Rolen to Cincinnati; Toronto traded him to the White Sox in the three-team trade that sent Colby Rasmus to the Blue Jays; the Red Sox acquired him in the deal that sent Kevin Youkilis to Chicago. In 103 innings at the MLB level, Stewart has a 6.82 ERA with 5.6 K/9 and 1.9 BB/9.

Zach Stewart to Pirates

Link to MLBTR. My goodness, he sure is a well-traveled young man!

EDIT: Oops -- sorry mods, feel free to merge. I didn't realize that the "Zack Stewart's night" thread already had this link. My bad.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Re: Zach Stewart to Pirates

Well, I guess we'll get to see his ascent first hand

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    He's already approaching Octavio Dotel/Mike Morgan territory
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?