Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 "Rate My Team" Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

2011 "Rate My Team" Thread

Drafted tonight for a league done through work -- 12 team league, no keeper, PPR AND PPC for QBs (I hate that part).

Here's what I ended up with:

QB: Josh Freeman (TB), Rex Grossman (WAS)

Everyone went nuts for QBs early in the draft, so I sat back and waited to grab Freeman in the mid-rounds. I waited too long to grab a backup, though.

RB: Chris Johnson (TEN), Matt Forte (CHI), Mark Ingram (NO), CJ Spiller (BUF), Daniel Thomas (MIA)

I'm very happy with Johnson and Forte. I like Ingram and Thomas to break out in the second half. Spiller was an impulse pick when I didn't like anyone else on the board.

WR: Calvin Johnson (DET), Jeremy Maclin (PHI), Chad Ochocinco (NE), Hines Ward (PIT), Percy Harvin (MIN)

Basically, I need PHI and NE to put up a lot of points this year, because Calvin Johnson is the only "sure" WR in that group otherwise.

TE: Anthony Gonzalez (ATL), Todd Heap (ARI)

I'm high on Heap -- I like what Kolb did with Celek in Philly, and I don't love the rest of Arizona's WRs after Fitzgerald. Gonzalez is what he is at his age, though

K: Nick Folk

DEF: Houston

Plan on just rotating on the waiver wire -- I like their potential week 1 matchup against a Kerry Collins-led Colts squad.

On the whole, I see a lot of boom/bust potential with this team. Should be a fun one to follow.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Re: 2011 "Rate My Team" Thread

I'd need to know more about the scoring to be sure (passing TD's 4 or 6 points for example) but I'd say average-ish, though I don't ever play a 12 team league so that is probably why it looks a bit thin to me. In a PPC for QB's league (which I personally love to do myself) with all TD's at 6 points and standard yardage pointage you gotta take a QB much, much sooner than you did. Though as late as you took one Freeman ain't bad.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

My team in a 10 team, 2 keeper, PPC (QB), PPRec (all), TD's worth 6 and standard yardage pointage. Typical lineup (w/ exception to a Flex WR/TE spot that I like to use) QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1TE, 1 DST, 1K.

Keepers: Mike Vick & Arian Foster (My pick is #6 but I dealt away my 3rd rounder in this draft last season)

QB - Vick
    RB - Foster
    RB - Jamaal Charles
    WR - M. Colston
    WR - Santana Moss
    WR/TE - Sidney Rice
    TE - Jimmy Graham
    D/ST - NYG
    K - Mason Crosby

QB - Sam Bradford
    RB - Ryan Matthews, Pierre Thomas, Jerome Harrison, Bernard Scott
    WR - Roy Williams, Jordy Nelson, Lee Evans
    TE - Zach Miller (Sea.), Ben Watson
    DST - Texans

Subsequently dropped Bernard Scott for Jason Snelling after some overnight thought. My WR corps lacks big time star power right now considering everything but a couple could still surprise and the old guys I took there are all in good situations. Had I had my 3rd rounder I could have had that one top flight WR as well.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I'd need to know more about the scoring to be sure (passing TD's 4 or 6 points for example) but I'd say average-ish, though I don't ever play a 12 team league so that is probably why it looks a bit thin to me. In a PPC for QB's league (which I personally love to do myself) with all TD's at 6 points and standard yardage pointage you gotta take a QB much, much sooner than you did. Though as late as you took one Freeman ain't bad.
    PPC just feels like a cheap way to play -- it penalizes QBs who pick up yardage in big chunks (Vick, Roethlisberger) and skews incredible weight towards high-ATT passers (Ryan, Brees, Brady) who put the ball up 40-50 times per game. The latter three are quality fantasy QBs already, they don't need added point bonuses just because their team uses the 4-5 yard out / in route in lieu of a run on 1st down.

Probably my least favorite rule in fantasy sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    PPC just feels like a cheap way to play -- it penalizes QBs who pick up yardage in big chunks (Vick, Roethlisberger) and skews incredible weight towards high-ATT passers (Ryan, Brees, Brady) who put the ball up 40-50 times per game. The latter three are quality fantasy QBs already, they don't need added point bonuses just because their team uses the 4-5 yard out / in route in lieu of a run on 1st down.

Probably my least favorite rule in fantasy sports.
    I get why someone wouldn't like it. But I think it makes a league more competitive overall because there aren't many Vicks and Bens out there so it allows a deeper pool of players. A nice side effect is it gives a guy a chance to get someone off the waiver wire to stay competitive in case a major injury to his QB. He may not win much after that but at least he won't be a cake walk for everyone else, you'll still have to remain involved to beat him. I suppose there are other ways to to accomplish the same thing but none that make any more sense to me I guess.

My least favorite rule has to be a TD given less points than what a TD is actually worth. Like a passing TD being worth 4 points but all others 6. Either that or using some weird lineups, why in the world would I want to start 2 QB's, doesn't make any sense to me.

--Woody Hayes

Here is my team. We are in a .5 PPR league. TD's are worth 5 while passing TD's are worth 4. Its a keeper league and you half to pick 3 and can pick 4. This year we decided to scrap the K and add another flex position. The K can be used as a flex position. Anyway here is my team.

QB
    Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, Jake Locker
    Besides for Flacco Ryan was the weakest QB kept. I like his upside and in a keeper league I think he can become a top tier QB. Cutler is a backup and Locker was a late round grab hoping he goes nuts and becomes a top notch QB.

RB
    Jones-Drew, Steven Jackson, Daniel Thomas, Roy Helu, and Kendal Hunter

MJD and Jackson were my keepers. I went with Thomas because he has the potential to be a starter and Helu is in the same boat. I am hoping one turns into a keeper type to give me trade value. Hunter was a reach but the backup to Gore. In a deep league those are nice to have.

WR
    Miles Austin, AJ Green, Plaxico Burress, and Arrelious Benn
    I probably went a round early with Green but he has huge upside. I think I got a steal in Burress taking him 2 rounds after green. Benn was the best available WR at the time.

TE
    Gronk and Kyle Rudolph
    Probably the weakest part of my team. I did wait quite a few rounds to take a TE and was satisfied I got Gronk. Rudolph was my last pick.

DST
    Packers and Lions
    I got the Pack right as the run on D was starting. I picked up the Lions later on and was very happy with that one. The Lions beat up every team they played in the pre season. I think that D may be the surprise in the league this season.

I am in two leagues I just completed my drafts

League 1 10 Man Standard Scoring except Pass TD=6 QB QB WR WR WR RB RB TE W/R W/T K D 6 man bench
    Rodgers BigBen
    Britt Floyd Crabtree SteveSmithCAR ArreliousBenn JSimpson
    Turner Greene DeangeloW KMoreno LTomlinson
    Witten Gronk

League 2 12 Man Standard Scoring QB WR WR WR RB RB TE W/R
    Vick Sanchez
    Harvin, StevieJohnson, MAustin SteveSmithPhil MWilliamsSEA
    Turner Benson FJackson JStarks TJones
    Gates JGraham

I am pretty sure the other guys were drinking during the League2 Draft, because guys fell to me all night.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I am pretty sure the other guys were drinking during the League2 Draft, because guys fell to me all night.
    Yea I actually like your team in the 12 man league better. It looks like you got some steals in that draft.

I'm in three leagues for the second straight year...I was fortunate enough to win two of them last year and finish third in the other (one bad lineup decision in semi-finals away from winning all of them). Anyway, I'm not thrilled with any of these teams, so feel free to critique. All are 12 team non-PPR leagues...leagues 1 and 2 are 6 points for TD passes and league 3 is 4 points for TD passes; otherwise, the scoring is pretty conventional.

League 1 ("College Friends League") - drafted fourth; start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/Flex/K/D

QBs: Flacco, Cutler
    RBs: Charles, McFadden, Reggie Bush, Spiller, Donald Brown (what in the world was I thinking?), Kendall Hunter
    WRs: Nicks, Bowe, Marshall, Welker, Crabtree, Eddie Royal
    TE: Zach Miller (SEA)
    Sebastian Janikowski
    Chargers D

League 2 ("Chicago Friends League") - drafted 12th; start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/Flex/K/D

QBs: Freeman
    RBs: McFadden, Forte, Addai, McGahee, Woodhead, Helu
    WRs: Miles Austin, Bowe, Welker, Jacoby Ford, Meachem, Jerome Simpson
    TE: Dallas Clark (in hindsight, foolishly overdrafted)
    Sebastian Janikowski
    Giants D

League 3 ("Work League") - drafted third; start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/Flex/K/D

QBs: Bradford, Sanchez (I kept barely missing out on QBs I liked better, so I had to settle for Bradford in round 10)
    RBs: Charles, Knowshon Moreno, Jonathan Stewart, Spiller, Thomas Jones
    WRs: Nicks, Mike Wallace, Britt, Jacoby Ford, Davone Bess
    TE: Antonio Gates
    Sebastian Janikowski
    Chargers D

Any input is appreciated...

Couple of thoughts on your team Boss (and in general).

I don't like Flacco one bit. To me he is an over rated QB, especially in fantasy.

I like Cutler for a backup. Guy has a cannon for an arm and Martz loves to throw the ball all around. If it weren't for the Chicago weather he probably would be a top notch QB.

I am very high on Freeman this season. I think he can break up.

Wes Welker was going very low in most of my drafts. He is a very good #2 option and would be a monster in PPR leagues.

I don't love your teams but I think they can be good.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Couple of thoughts on your team Boss (and in general).

I don't like Flacco one bit. To me he is an over rated QB, especially in fantasy.

I like Cutler for a backup. Guy has a cannon for an arm and Martz loves to throw the ball all around. If it weren't for the Chicago weather he probably would be a top notch QB.

I am very high on Freeman this season. I think he can break up.

Wes Welker was going very low in most of my drafts. He is a very good #2 option and would be a monster in PPR leagues.

I don't love your teams but I think they can be good.
    Thanks for your feedback...I don't love Flacco, either - in fantasy or in real life. That was another situation in which I kept barely missing QBs I liked better...in case you can't tell, I think that position is often overvalued in fantasy. I am starting Cutler over Flacco at least in week one due to Flacco's matchup.

Prepare to be underwhelmed!

A little background before my roster - we play in a 12 team keeper league where you can keep as many players as you want, but there's a salary cap with escalating salaries and a five year limit on keeping anyone. I won the league in 2009, and went into last year with a number of players in their 5th year. Since my window was about to close I maximized my chances by trading draft picks for expiring contracts. It worked, since I won the league again, but it left me with a price to pay this year. Here's what a draft looks like with no picks in rounds 4, 5, 6, 7, 12 and 13 (Vick was my only saved player):

QB: Michael Vick, Chad Henne, Vince Young, Andy Dalton
    RB: Steven Jackson, Cedric Benson, Marion Barber, Ricky Williams
    WR: Nate Burleson, Steve Smith (CAR), Davone Bess, Robert Meacham
    TE: Kellen Winslow, Anthony Fasano
    K: David Akers, Jay Feely
    D: Bears, 49ers

Dalton was the Mr. Irrelevant of our draft, wasn't much left in round 22 so a made a homer pick. We have to carry two TEs, Ks and Ds. People are looking forward to getting their crack at me this year after the past few years.

My other league is done drafting now -- this is a 10 team league, with keepers (can keep a player up to 3 years). I did some very shrewd drafting in the past (taking fliers on Rice as a rookie and Mendenhall as a 2nd year player) and now have a stock of 4 keepers that are all legitimate top-15 players, but 3 of them are expiring after this year, so it's my last real chance to dominate this league:

QBs: Matthew Stafford, Josh Freeman

RBs: Chris Jonson (Keeper), Ray Rice (Keeper), Rashard Mendenhall (Keeper), Daniel Thomas

WRs: Larry Fitzgerald (Keeper), Mike Wallace, Brandon Lloyd, Jacoby Ford, AJ Green

TEs: Jimmy Graham, Todd Heap

K: Sebastian Janikowski

DEF: Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    My other league is done drafting now -- this is a 10 team league, with keepers (can keep a player up to 3 years). I did some very shrewd drafting in the past (taking fliers on Rice as a rookie and Mendenhall as a 2nd year player) and now have a stock of 4 keepers that are all legitimate top-15 players, but 3 of them are expiring after this year, so it's my last real chance to dominate this league:

QBs: Matthew Stafford, Josh Freeman

RBs: Chris Jonson (Keeper), Ray Rice (Keeper), Rashard Mendenhall (Keeper), Daniel Thomas

WRs: Larry Fitzgerald (Keeper), Mike Wallace, Brandon Lloyd, Jacoby Ford, AJ Green

TEs: Jimmy Graham, Todd Heap

K: Sebastian Janikowski

DEF: Chicago
    One heck of a team there! Great job...

--Woody Hayes

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

I thought I was dead this week, but Brady went off tonight. I feel like this is a solid team, what say you all? No ppr ppc, non keeper.

Turn Off Ads?