Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Slumping Bruce and Votto

Slumping Bruce and Votto

1 - 30ish for Bruce
    3-18 for Votto (5 BBs)

Yet we win 6 in a row and 7 out of 10. This team is just full of surprises. And the latest surprise... First Place, Cardinals just went down!
    Last edited by powersackers; 05-24-2012 at 11:48 PM.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Slumping Bruce and Votto

3-18 is not a slump lol.

1-30 is though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    3-18 is not a slump lol.

1-30 is though.
    Shall I change the thread title to Slumping Bruce, and Votto?

lol
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Bruce will always be like this. His mechanics at the plate regularly get messed up and he has trouble breaking the habit. Get used to it, because he will always be that way. Votto worries me because they are giving him nothing to hit. Only when they get someone in the four hole to protect and our one-two hitters get on base more, it's easier to walk him than pitch to him.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Agree Bruce is a finished product. I'm not even frustrated about it anymore. In a few seasons the Reds will allow his team friendly contract to expire in a few years and he'll move on elsewhere. I have given up dreams of him winning an MVP award, piling up All-Star appearances or having Larry Walker numbers in this offensive friendly park. He is maddeningly inconsistent and while still 'young' by baseball definition and a solid guy to have on your club this is who he is and who he will always be. This year is in no way special for him. He has a ton of blemishes offensively and just isn't advanced like scouts said he was
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

It seems to me that the way out of these slumps in the past has always been to hit to left field. It puzzles me why it takes so long to figure this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Agree Bruce is a finished product. I'm not even frustrated about it anymore. In a few seasons the Reds will allow his team friendly contract to expire in a few years and he'll move on elsewhere. I have given up dreams of him winning an MVP award, piling up All-Star appearances or having Larry Walker numbers in this offensive friendly park. He is maddeningly inconsistent and while still 'young' by baseball definition and a solid guy to have on your club this is who he is and who he will always be. This year is in no way special for him. He has a ton of blemishes offensively and just isn't advanced like scouts said he was
    While you may be right, need I remind everyone its still only May. There's a lot of ball to be played yet, and players slump. Its not likely, but maybe he heats up and gains some consistency throughout the rest of the season.

Not trying to pick on you, but there's so many absolutes thrown around here anymore, it just kind of drives me crazy. Baseball is a funny game. I try to stay humble in my knowledge of how this game works and its many quirks. The more I assume to know, the more I learn I don't know squat.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Ahhh unfortunately, when it comes to Jay Bruce anymore I don't consider 1-30 a slump, but instead just approaching the valley of one of his down cycles. As bi-polar (baseball-wise) as any player I've ever seen. This time next month, he'll be carrying the club and terrorizing opposing pitchers.

Just another chapter of 'How the Bruce Turns' (or is that 'Days of Our Jay'?). Like it or not, its something that we'll just have to live with. It's one reason that I've been saying (for three years now) that Walt needs to add another solid consistent bat to the lineup to help JV. Longterm, it's the reason they need to seriously start stocking the farm with corner OF prospects.

Joey? I never worry about Joey.

"My goal is to minimize those downswings and maximize the more positive times during the season," he said. "I definitely think my new approach and routine will help me do that."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...eds/index.html

Just because he's not Larry Walker doesn't mean he isn't a good contributor or guy to have manning right field.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    "My goal is to minimize those downswings and maximize the more positive times during the season," he said. "I definitely think my new approach and routine will help me do that."

Sure jay.

It really is a spectacle at this point. You watch a guy like Heisey run into a glut of hanging off speed stuff every once in a while and appear "hot", but it looks just like that: a hot streak. Jay Bruce ravages the league for weeks, even months. Every at bat he looks like a runaway MVP candidate. How do you display that level of skill, and then the next month fall for every feeble trick in the pitcher's handbook and swing the bat like Juan Castro? Just amazes me.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I said he is solid. But he will not ever be a star which is what he should have been. He will never OPS .900 over a full season. We have seen his best. Just shows you scouts know little and miss all the time ; though they didn't completely miss on Bruce as he has been productive through stretches
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I said he is solid. But he will not ever be a star which is what he should have been. He will never OPS .900 over a full season. We have seen his best. Just shows you scouts know little and miss all the time ; though they didn't completely miss on Bruce as he has been productive through stretches
    He's in the middle of a 1-30 stretch and he's OPSing .840. Would you like to wager he OPSes .900 this year?

He's a pure power hitter, a lot of times those guys are streak hitters. He'll be fine. He is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Votto could walk 4 times a game. His first two at-bats last night, I saw one pitch that would have been a called strike. The rest were balls and he was swinging at bad pitches.

Giancarlo Stanton batting cleanup, anyone?

Reds are about to face the Rockies. Two lefty starters in three games. Could be time for Bruce, or even Votto, to get a day off.

On the other hand, when you look at the high ERAs of the Rockies pitchers, could be the time to let Bruce play.

By the way, I thought the Braves did a great job on Votto, pitched him well, set up their defense against him well. But he is just fine. Bruce, though, needs to avoid these deep slumps somehow if he's going to improve.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-25-2012 at 06:54 AM.

Turn Off Ads?