Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Should Bengals sign Garrard?

Should Bengals sign Garrard?

Jags just released David Garrard. Heard there's a lot of talk that he makes sense for Bengals......
    Last edited by JaxRed; 09-06-2011 at 05:20 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should Bengals sign Garrard?

Id take him over Gradkowski

No, not after I read up on why he was released. In a nutshell blaming his teammates when it is his shortcomings causing his mediocrity is a sign of a type of character I wouldn't want near my team and especially in a leadership position. Prior to reading that I would have felt more comfortable with him than Gradkowski also. I'm positive his line could be better but he handled it poorly.

Garrard's final game was one of his worst. He was hit repeatedly in last week's preseason finale against St. Louis and misfired on four of five passes. He ended the night with an animated exchange with his offensive line on the sideline.

That, too, had become an issue inside the facility, with Garrard pointing the finger more often than taking the blame.
    It became clear Monday how teammates felt about Garrard. They declined to vote Garrard a team captain, instead choosing Jones-Drew and Lewis as offensive captains.

Garrard was released the next day.
    ESPN Link
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 09-06-2011 at 06:39 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

gradkowski is much better IMO . never liked garrard much .

Even if you think Garrard is better than gradkowski, I'm not sure I see the upside for the Bengals in signing him. Dalton is clearly the future (or at least the plan for the future), he's starting game 1, and unless he absolutely falls on his face or gets hurt, he's not coming out. Its not like I expect the Bengals to go out and finish .500 or better, but if Dalton bombs thru the first 6 games, what good is bringing Garrard in to pilot the ship for the next 10 games going to do? Gradkwoski knows the playbook, and is presumably comfortable with the situation of mentoring Dalton as he was never really given a shot to win the starting job.

Had this been last season, and you were looking for a capable backup to Carson in what the organization hoped would be a playoff year, then it makes a lot of sense. This year, when the only real goal is to build for the future and anything above that is gravy, Garrard only gets in the way of that plan.

No point in picking up Garrard. I say we throw Dalton out there. If he succeeds, great. If he fails, we have a good shot at the first pick and Andrew Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by drowg14 View Post
    No point in picking up Garrard. I say we throw Dalton out there. If he succeeds, great. If he fails, we have a good shot at the first pick and Andrew Luck.
    Agreed.
    Go BLUE!!!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Worth noting -- the Bengals schedule for the first 9 weeks is absolutely awful. If they had a legitimate QB, they'd have a decent shot of heading into Pittsburgh in Week 10 at 8-2 or 9-1.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Worth noting -- the Bengals schedule for the first 9 weeks is absolutely awful. If they had a legitimate QB, they'd have a decent shot of heading into Pittsburgh in Week 10 at 8-2 or 9-1.
    If the D and Benson play like they did for most of the game vs the browns we still could.

Turn Off Ads?