Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pretty excited about 2012

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Pretty excited about 2012

Of course there is trepidation in terms of what Walt will (or more-specifically won't) do this offseason, but if he can find a way to have a "winning" offseason for once, this Reds team is set up for success in 2012.

We've been waiting for the young crop of studs (Alonso, Mesoraco, etc) to be in the same lineup with proven guys like Votto, Bruce and Phillips. It's going to happen in 2012 from the beginning of the season on (not just in Sept when it doesn't matter). I think Cozart will be at least "good enough" at SS, which has been a complete black hole for this team the last few years.

The pitching staff needs someone at the top along with Cueto and there is plenty of talent in the organization for Walt to come up with a good trade. He should be able to put together a nice package in exchange for someone who can be the co-ace with Cueto. Actually, it would be great to have Cueto as the No. 2, but I'm trying to give Johnny respect. He's showing he might be the ace of the future for a team that hasn't had a real ace since Jose Rijo tore up his elbow. But I would love to see the Reds package Bailey, Volquez and Francisco (and maybe one other player) for a true ace. I'm going to throw a party at my house for this entire board if it happens.

Need to find a closer, but there are in-house options, or perhaps Walt could sign a veteran for a one-year deal (something not too expensive -- in the $6 million range). Guys like Putz were available last offseason for a very reasonable rate -- hopefully there will be someone like that out there this winter that Walt can grab if he's not sold on any of the in-house options.

BTW: I'm in the "Chapman should be a starter" camp. His control problems won't be nearly as big of an issue stretched across several innings as opposed to the ninth inning in save situations when every baserunner and every out is crucial. Also, there is way too much money invested in him to be a guy that pitches 60 innings a year. He needs to be up in the 160 IP range next year. Eventually 200 would be great, but he's not ready for that. The Reds would just get so much more out of him as a starter and that's what he had always been before the Reds signed him. I'm still not convinced his comfortable as a reliever. I think the Reds will make the decision to make him a starter this winter.

Bottom line: Unless the front office completely screws the pooch this offseason, the Reds are going to be very good next season. Most of the pieces are in place. Votto is going to be his usual fantastic self, Bruce is getting better each year, Phillips will be in "another" contract year, Alonso is becoming the masher we hoped (I know, I know, small sample size, but admit it, you're excited), and Mesoraco is the long-term answer at catcher and he's finally here. Need to upgrade the pitching just a little bit and it's going to be a fun year next season. Who's coming with me!?
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 09-07-2011 at 03:43 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Pretty excited about 2012

I agree that we are in pretty good shape heading into 2012.

Our run differential this year suggests we aren't nearly as bad as our record indicates.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I agree that we are in pretty good shape heading into 2012.

Our run differential this year suggests we aren't nearly as bad as our record indicates.
    Precisely. In 2010, things seemed to break the team's way all the time. In 2011, they seemed to break against them. Pythag has them with a .530 winning percentage right now -- right in the thick of the race still, really. I think the core components are still there, and agree with pretty much everything BD said in the original post (except maybe dropping 6 million on a closer).
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Precisely. In 2010, things seemed to break the team's way all the time. In 2011, they seemed to break against them. Pythag has them with a .530 winning percentage right now -- right in the thick of the race still, really. I think the core components are still there, and agree with pretty much everything BD said in the original post (except maybe dropping 6 million on a closer).
    I certainly believe the pieces are there to make a run next year and there is enough surplus to add a couple of key pieces. I'd go pursue the Votto for Bautista deal and a deal for James Shields with the Rays. I'd go after a FA LH bat (Kelly Johnson, Josh Willingham, Coco Crisp, Laynce Nix -possibilities) off the bench. I'd also add a late inning righty and lefty.

Anybody have a list of upcoming Free Agents? I found one from COTS, but it's back from early April.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 09-07-2011 at 10:02 PM.

I'd like to see us turn a whole lot of pretty solid prospects in to a few really good major leaguers.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Yeah, I hear you. I'm honestly not sold on the idea of giving a free agent closer $6 million. However, if none of the in-house options are ready and there is a good veteran closer on the market that is willing (or forced due to a lack of interest) to sign a one-year deal, the Reds might have to look into that. The D'Backs got a great bargain with Putz. (Although that was a two-year deal, not one.)

I'm definitely not into spending a lot of money for a closer. But I also don't want the situation to be completely ignored this offseason. Obviously I'm hoping Walt doesn't think Chapman is a closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I'm definitely not into spending a lot of money for a closer. But I also don't want the situation to be completely ignored this offseason. Obviously I'm hoping Walt doesn't think Chapman is a closer.
    If Walt wants to add a #1 SP, a middle-of-the-order LF bat, and a few other pieces, and he can still afford to drop $6 mill on a closer, then I'm for it. Otherwise, I think it would be a mismanagement of funds. I would hope they've learned something from the Cordero debacle. An expensive closer can be an important part of a team, but only if you've already got the rest of it in-place first.

That said, I also would rather Walt spend $6 million on a closer than slot in Chapman as the next one. So go figure.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Of course there is trepidation in terms of what Walt will (or more-specifically won't) do this offseason, but if he can find a way to have a "winning" offseason for once, this Reds team is set up for success in 2012.

We've been waiting for the young crop of studs (Alonso, Mesoraco, etc) to be in the same lineup with proven guys like Votto, Bruce and Phillips. It's going to happen in 2012 from the beginning of the season on (not just in Sept when it doesn't matter). I think Cozart will be at least "good enough" at SS, which has been a complete black hole for this team the last few years.

The pitching staff needs someone at the top along with Cueto and there is plenty of talent in the organization for Walt to come up with a good trade. He should be able to put together a nice package in exchange for someone who can be the co-ace with Cueto. Actually, it would be great to have Cueto as the No. 2, but I'm trying to give Johnny respect. He's showing he might be the ace of the future for a team that hasn't had a real ace since Jose Rijo tore up his elbow. But I would love to see the Reds package Bailey, Volquez and Francisco (and maybe one other player) for a true ace. I'm going to throw a party at my house for this entire board if it happens.

Need to find a closer, but there are in-house options, or perhaps Walt could sign a veteran for a one-year deal (something not too expensive -- in the $6 million range). Guys like Putz were available last offseason for a very reasonable rate -- hopefully there will be someone like that out there this winter that Walt can grab if he's not sold on any of the in-house options.

BTW: I'm in the "Chapman should be a starter" camp. His control problems won't be nearly as big of an issue stretched across several innings as opposed to the ninth inning in save situations when every baserunner and every out is crucial. Also, there is way too much money invested in him to be a guy that pitches 60 innings a year. He needs to be up in the 160 IP range next year. Eventually 200 would be great, but he's not ready for that. The Reds would just get so much more out of him as a starter and that's what he had always been before the Reds signed him. I'm still not convinced his comfortable as a reliever. I think the Reds will make the decision to make him a starter this winter.

Bottom line: Unless the front office completely screws the pooch this offseason, the Reds are going to be very good next season. Most of the pieces are in place. Votto is going to be his usual fantastic self, Bruce is getting better each year, Phillips will be in "another" contract year, Alonso is becoming the masher we hoped (I know, I know, small sample size, but admit it, you're excited), and Mesoraco is the long-term answer at catcher and he's finally here. Need to upgrade the pitching just a little bit and it's going to be a fun year next season. Who's coming with me!?
    I'm optimistic as well. And I'm holding you to that "board party" thing.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

I can probably make the party since I'm in Indy now, Blitz!

Anybody have a list of upcoming Free Agents? I found one from COTS, but it's back from early April.
    Current Free Agents

Free Agents after this season

Free Agents after next season

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

I know hes going to be expensive especially if the yankees go after him which there expected to do but I would love to see us sign CJ Wilson. He's already a top pitcher and I think moving to the NL Central would only make him better.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    I know hes going to be expensive especially if the yankees go after him which there expected to do but I would love to see us sign CJ Wilson. He's already a top pitcher and I think moving to the NL Central would only make him better.
    He'd definitely be a nice target, but I think he's going to get big, big money from somebody. I think he's a Yankee-in-waiting.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    He'd definitely be a nice target, but I think he's going to get big, big money from somebody. I think he's a Yankee-in-waiting.
    Yeah, Wilson would be a great acquisition, but the only question is whether he'll get CC money or Lackey money.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Yeah, Wilson would be a great acquisition, but the only question is whether he'll get CC money or Lackey money.
    Either way is too much for the Reds. A deal for James Shields and his reasonable $7 Million makes the most sense to me. If not Shields, then Niemann. The Rays will trade a more expensive arm to make room for Moore and Cobb. They need offense and Alonso would be a great fit for them.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-10-2011 at 05:45 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I don't see how you can expect 2012 to be any different than 2011 until the Reds seriously address their pitching in the offseason.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?