Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds considering extending Cordero's contract

Reds considering extending Cordero's contract

Walt says an extension is possible.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...nding-cordero/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds considering extending Cordero's contract

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I hear they're going to model it after Arroyo's.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Stop! You are scarring me.

Nooooo! He's 37 and missing bats much less frequently. He actually was somewhat better this year than expected, but don't press your luck. If you have to spend money on a closer, spend it on someone younger with more upside.

Based on what he's did for the Reds in the last 12+ months, I'm guessing Walt is still a big fan of the Cardinals because he's doing his very best to make sure the Reds are no longer threats to win the division in the near future.

The failure of Masset and other internal options make this more likely IMO.

I could se a two year deal, $7.5 MM per year. Would give time for Boxberger, the heir apparent, to get ready to close.

I think Coco has been a solid, durable closer. I believe in having a true closer and could live with Coco for another year or two. But not long term and not too expensive.

I was afraid of this.

Its hard for me to be a Reds fan today. I am at the point of 'wake me when the Reds get a clue'. i can root for a team that has budget issues. but when they combine that with just dumb contracts we are sunk. one playoff appearance every 10-15 years is not enough to get me excited about the team.

So if the Reds turn down Cordero’s option, they may have to sign another closer.

“That’s what we’re trying to determine,” Jocketty said. “That’s one of determining factors. Do we have someone in house? Or do we have to go out and get someone?”
    I think it's obvious from the rest of the article that Jocketty would say that selling Cordero to the Carp in Japan is a possibility.

I got nothing from that article other than Jocketty, as usual, will not discuss what he might do, and is just saying everything at this point is a possibility.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Great line.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I think it's obvious from the rest of the article that Jocketty would say that selling Cordero to the Carp in Japan is a possibility.

I got nothing from that article other than Jocketty, as usual, will not discuss what he might do, and is just saying everything at this point is a possibility.
    Exactly,he'll only confuse the subject.

I hope they don't do it. I'm guessing Jocketty and company could find a cheaper option from among the many closers who are available.

I'm also guessing that this is one of those business models wherein the Reds tell tehir casual fans, "Look how much we care, Cincinnati-- we re-signed our great closer!"

I'm hoping Jocketty and company see the Arroyo extension and how he fell apart this season.

I'm also hoping Jocketty and company see that Cordero has been remarkably lucky this season.

I'm also hoping Jocketty and company understand that they could buy two or three arms (at least) that have a good chance to be just as effective as Cordero as closer.

I'm also hoping Jocketty and company see Boxberger as a closer sooner rather than later.

Not sure that we can overreact to this just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    I was afraid of this.

Its hard for me to be a Reds fan today. I am at the point of 'wake me when the Reds get a clue'. i can root for a team that has budget issues. but when they combine that with just dumb contracts we are sunk. one playoff appearance every 10-15 years is not enough to get me excited about the team.
    This.

Turn Off Ads?