Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pretty excited about 2012

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Pretty excited about 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I don't see how you can expect 2012 to be any different than 2011 until the Reds seriously address their pitching in the offseason.
    While I tend to agree somewhat, I think not missing 10 starts to begin the year between Bailey and Cueto would help (of course I guess you could argue that Cueto isn't likely to repeat this season either). Adding Chapman to the rotation could help. But maybe he simply isn't ready either. Lots of questions. I think much like this year, the error bars on the record next season could be quite large. I could see the team next year winning 90+ or winning 75.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I don't see how you can expect 2012 to be any different than 2011 until the Reds seriously address their pitching in the offseason.
    Yeah, did you notice that was a big caveat I included? Obviously they need to add a TOR starting pitcher ... and will need to address their bullpen as well. But they have plenty of talent in the organization to make a trade happen that will give them exactly what they need without mortgaging the future. I believe a package of Bailey, Volquez, Sappelt and Francisco would be enough to make a lot of teams interested.

What have we learned about some guys this year?

Sappelt, still a question mark. Don't think you can go into 2011 relying on him for anything.
    Alonso can hit the hell out of the ball, but he or Votto is going to be traded in the offseason, and my money is on him.
    Cozart, get healthy and he should have every chance to be the everyday SS next year.
    Heisey, really good bench player, probably nothing more unless he's playing CF and even then he's still a question.
    Stubbs, could be upgraded, but not "Paul Janish" either.
    Janish, if he never has another AB for the Reds again he'll have too many.
    Frazier, most likely a utility player with some pop.
    Francisco, bit of a lost year for him. Don't really know anymore about him than you did last year. My guess is the Reds go into next year with him as Rolen's backup though.
    Mesoraco, only 18 ABs but there's no reason to believe he won't be the catcher next year.

Wood took a step back. Wouldn't give up on him though.
    Leake took another step forward. Lock for the rotation.
    Volquez is most likely done as a Red.
    Willis shouldn't be back as anything more than insurance.
    Bailey was pretty much Homer Bailey. Inconsistent, but good enough to warrant a spot next year.
    Chapman, put him in the rotation.

LF: ???
    CF: Stubbs (tentatively, could see him being moved)
    RF: Bruce
    3B: Rolen/Francisco (I don't like this because this was the plan this year and it blew up, but I think it's what we'll get)
    SS: Cozart (need a backup)
    2B: Phillips (picking up the option is a no brainer)
    1B: Votto/Alonso (trade one, most likely Alonso)
    C: Mesoraco/Hanigan

Cueto
    Chapman (make him a starter and leave it alone)
    Leake
    Bailey
    Arroyo (only because of his contract)

Wood in AAA

Bray
    Ondrusek
    LeCure (swing man)
    Massett (even with his disappointing year)
    Arredondo?

LF, the back end of the bullpen, and trading (most likely) Alonso are the storylines of the offseason.

I could see Bailey used as bait to try to reel in a TOR arm too.

EDIT: Didn't realize Cordero had a $12 mil club option. Think that's probably too much money, but who knows.
    Last edited by reds44; 09-13-2011 at 03:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Nice summation, Reds44, but if that is the rotation plan, they are not winning anything, again.

Turn Off Ads?