Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Red Rookies

Red Rookies

In Valaika, Francisco, Frazier, Alonso, Cozart, and Sappelt, the Red rookies stat line: 280/319/446/765.

Above average for the league as a whole. That's a 110 OPS+, for those of you scoring at home. (Or for those that are alone.)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Re: Red Rookies

Well, they can certainly hit. Alonso doesn't really have a position, though as a hitter, he's the one I'd like to keep the most. He's going to be an incredible hitter as he matures...I think he'll be better than Votto as a hitter. I love Cozart...I think he is what we hoped Janish would grow into. A little less arm is a small price to pay for a guy who can get on base consistently. I see Valaika, Frazier, and Sappelt as role players, but all three are excellent and a solid bench is an integral part of a championship team. Francisco is the one that drives me crazy. I like what I've seen from him defensively so far, but I'm not too thrilled with him at the plate. He seems to feast on bad pitchers, but good pitchers get him out consistently. He swings at some ridiculous stuff...when he connects he really puts a charge into the ball. Reminds me of Wily Mo Pena a bit. All in all, a very good crop for 2011.

I just realized, you forgot Mesoraco! All around, I think he's the best of the bunch. These guys are going to be fun to watch for years to come.
    Last edited by WebScorpion; 09-07-2011 at 09:16 PM.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Alonso a better hitter than Votto?

Votto is the best hitter in the National League and one of the top two or three in the game right now. There's little chance Alonso is better. Even if he's close (a 900 OPS), the Reds should keep him and play him in LF, defense be darned, and watch the offense score 35+ more runs in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Votto is the best hitter in the National League and one of the top two or three in the game right now. There's little chance Alonso is better. Even if he's close (a 900 OPS), the Reds should keep him and play him in LF, defense be darned, and watch the offense score 35+ more runs in the season.
    As of right now I am willing to roll with Alonso out in LF. He won't ever be a world beater but he will continue to improve out there. He seems to be a guy who works hard at his craft and may be a guy who learns enough "tricks" in order to play a passable LF.

IMO you need to get his bat in the lineup as well as Mesoraco's. I would focus my entire off season on acquiring James Shields. I would be willing to roll the dice with Yonder in LF, Cozart at SS, and would look to sign a vet to backup Cozart at SS.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Alonso a better hitter than Votto?

I said "WILL BE", not "is"... I also said "hitter", not player... Alonso has the same kind of world class batting eye, but he has more power than Joey. I can envision him getting better at the plate and becoming Joey Votto with more power. I can also envision him failing to make quick adjustments and becoming streaky like Jay Bruce, but I don't think that's what will happen. What I didn't mention is that I don't think any amount of work will make him the same kind of fielder, baserunner, or leader that Joey is...he may outhit Joey some day, but I don't think he'll ever outplay him.

BTW, I just checked and Alonso's current OPS is 1148 and Joey is at 970, so although it's the infamous SSS, it's not as unfathomable as you're making it out to be.

I guess what I'm saying is I'd really like to keep Alonso if at all possible because I think he's the kind of hitter that doesn't come around too often. The only way I'd trade him is if I got a similar hitter from the right side who could fill (LF, 3B, SS) one of our needs, or a front line starter. That's just my

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    IMO you need to get his bat in the lineup as well as Mesoraco's. I would focus my entire off season on acquiring James Shields. I would be willing to roll the dice with Yonder in LF, Cozart at SS, and would look to sign a vet to backup Cozart at SS.
    Unfortunately, Alonso's probably a must piece in any conceivable deal for Shields... if there is a conceivable deal. But we've already had that thread, I guess.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Gotta figure out who fits in what spots and who gets traded for pitching.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?