Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays- 9/9

Birthdays- 9/9

Today's picking are as lush as yesterday's were sparse...

Reds:

Todd Coffey (31) -Come back, Coffeybro; we miss you!

Joey Hamilton (41) -When you think of stinko Reds pitchers of the first part of this decade, here is a name that sould be preeminent.

Tom Foley (52)

Jay Ward (73) -The 1970 utility man, not the producer of "Rocky & Bullwinkle".

Waite Hoyt -Great, great radio announcer of my childhood. A HOF pitcher too, although he was aided greatly by pitching for the Yankee juggernauts.

Others:

Edwin Jackson (28)

Todd Ziele (46) -Is he still married to the ex-Olympic gymnast?

Alvin Davis (51)

Earl Averill (73) -The younger, and lesser, Earl Averill.

Hugh Mulcahy -His nickname was "Losing Pitcher" Mulcahy, which is kind of cruel, but heck, the man lost 76 games over a four-year span.

Frankie Frisch -Great second baseman; Bill James lambastes him in one of his books for using his position on the HOF Veteran's Committe to litter the HOF with his undeserving old cronies.

Frank Chance -His nickname was "The Peerless Leader", which is a lot better than "Losing Pitcher".
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays- 9/9

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Todd Ziele (46) -Is he still married to the ex-Olympic gymnast?

".
    Zeile is married to Olympic champion, Julianne McNamara, the first American gymnast to earn a perfect 10.0 at the Olympics. They have four children.

He attended William S. Hart High School in Newhall, California, where he was an outstanding student and athlete.

Todd is a descendant of John Adams, the second President of the United States.[citation needed]

Todd owns a Citation X jet.

Zeile has the most home runs in Major League history for players whose last name begin with the letter Z
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Zeile has the most home runs in Major League history for players whose last name begin with the letter Z
    Richie Zisk rues the day Todd Zeile came along.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

For a Level Playing Field

Wonder who has the most HRs with the first name starting with the letter Z? Does Xavier Nady hold the record for first names that start with the letter X? How about a last name that starts with an X? Any chance that Luis Quinones is in the top 10 for players whose last name starts with... nah, just forget it!

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Wonder who has the most HRs with the first name starting with the letter Z? Does Xavier Nady hold the record for first names that start with the letter X? How about a last name that starts with an X? Any chance that Luis Quinones is in the top 10 for players whose last name starts with... nah, just forget it!
    I already looked up Q....It is a slow Friday.

Mark Quinn passed Jamie Quirk with like 45 career HR's. Both played with KC.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

It's good to be Todd Ziele.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    It's good to be Todd Ziele.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Waite Hoyt -Great, great radio announcer of my childhood. A HOF pitcher too, although he was aided greatly by pitching for the Yankee juggernauts.
    I enjoyed Waite Hoyt too, chico. Not a polished announcer by any means but great with the rain delays because of his tales from his Yankee days. Also, he amazed me concerning the way he could recreate the Reds away games from a simple ticker description of on-the-field action to realistic play-by-play.

He drove me nuts though, once in a while, when, at Crosley, he would get so caught up in the action on the field that he would actually forget to relay the details of the play to the listening audience. There would be dead air for several seconds then he would have to give a summary of exactly what had happened. Maddening!

Turn Off Ads?