Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dayton Quarterfinal Game Two 9-9-11

Dayton Quarterfinal Game Two 9-9-11

They just resumed in the bottom of the sixth in Lansing. Pat Doyle replaced Josh Smith and got out of the inning to keep Dayton on top 2-1.

Smith's line: 5.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 8 K.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Dayton Quarterfinal Game Two 9-9-11

Heading to the bottom of the 9th, 2-1 Dragons lead.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Dayton loses on a 2 out, 2 run walk off HR, 3-2.

Oy. Dayton loses on a 2-out, 2-run walkoff HR, 3-2. Off Hayes.

Edit: Doug is fast.

I think the Drew Hayes thread jinxed him....good grief I hate losing games like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I think the Drew Hayes thread jinxed him....good grief I hate losing games like that.
    Ugh... Do or die tomorrow boys. Hopefully they'll pull it out. It'll be a shame to end the season this way-1 out from advancing, but props to Lansing for hanging tough this game.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I may be overlooking something, but it seems to me that the Midwest League has some pretty screwy rules. First, there was the bewildering ruling during the season by which Dayton was declared the loser of a rain-shortened game in which the Dragons led after five innings but fell behind in the top of the sixth and never had the chance to bat again.

And now Dayton, after winning the second-half division title and compiling the best overall record in the entire league, must play the deciding game of the quarterfinal series on the road against Lansing, the first-half wildcard winner. Seems that the first-half wildcard winner has the option of playing the first game at home or the second and third. Beats me why a wildcard would have the option over a division champion. (This is not specific to the Dayton series. All the first-half qualifiers, by whatever method, inherit the same choice.)

Oh well.

72 or anyone--Is Wolford hurt? Just noticing that he pitched in neither the first or second game of the series.

Also, is Vidal? He didn't play last night.

Wolford was warmed up to come in the game when the rain started and they are careful about a guy getting heated up, cooling down for 97 minutes, then heating up again. I would expect you will see him tonight.

Vidal...huge story lost in the walk-off homer. See the McClelland article in another thread. Team's 20 HR, RBI leader does not play due to attitude issues, his spot in the order comes up twice with a man on third and less than two outs, and both times, the runner does not score.

This is interesting. Some of the fans who follow the minors only to watch the prospects develop would see this one way. Others who have an intense rooting interest in a specific team would see it another way. The reality is always somewhere in the middle, where winning is more important than many realize but certainly development factors in very strongly. This one, I am sure, has many people talking in Dayton today. Delino had to make a decision.

Turn Off Ads?