Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Strange Medical Question Re Bleeding Out

Strange Medical Question Re Bleeding Out

Is it possible for a person to bleed to death from the palms of his hands and the souls of his feet?

Don't worry; I write fiction. I had this happen in the first draft I just finished and just need to know if the 2nd draft requires a quick stab to the carotid artery. I hope not--this is more poetic.

Thanks. And don't be scared.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Strange Medical Question Re Bleeding Out

From the souls of his feet, unlikely. Soles, perhaps. Unless he is a "bleeding soul" (or sole?).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Yeah, but this guy's got a foot full of soul.

If someone was on blood thinners I'd suppose they could, probably a stretch though.

lets say you were on warfarin (aka coumadin, aka rat poison) and your dose was way too high. your blood was super thin. you were also on aspirin which thins the blood in a different way. then you stuck each hand and each foot in a wood chipper or garbage disposal. then it could happen. however, in general you will only exanguinate or bleed to death through big arteries.

That's what I'm thinking. We're going to have to add a helper, whether we like it or not--one that still allows a trip from the car into the house. Or maybe an additional blow will have to be added in the house. That's likely where I'll go with this.

btw, this was all brought on by my sister's cat bleeding a ridiculous amount through it's paws after getting caught in a car door and dragged a half mile. The awful trail of bloody paw prints from the carport and through the grass left an image I wanted to transfer to this situation.
    Last edited by tixe; 09-11-2011 at 08:17 PM.

I am souled, err soled, err sold on the plot.

Maybe the person could be cut and passes out. A neighbor's pit bull is attracted by the scent of blood, breaks into the house, and mauls the victim to death.

Rewrote the scene yesterday; it was simple enough. I just wanted the image of the bloody footprints and handprints, so adding a simple stab wasn't a big deal. This drafts about fleshing out the back story anyway, and part of the whole deal was showing the limits the assailant's psyche had been frazzled. There's something else about this scene that's more over the top than what I've mentioned, but repeating it out of context would give the wrong idea. Believe it or not, this scene isn't meant to be sensationalist, the weird action mostly has to do with character.

But you don't want to know what the murder weapon is.

btw, this stuff all sounds lame talking about it in progress and out of context. I hate doing it, but I needed to know the medical stuff.

That's ok, we're all trying to recover from RBA's post....

Well, what RBA suggested happens two or three times a week up this 'holler'.

Stigmata?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Rewrote the scene yesterday; it was simple enough. I just wanted the image of the bloody footprints and handprints, so adding a simple stab wasn't a big deal. This drafts about fleshing out the back story anyway, and part of the whole deal was showing the limits the assailant's psyche had been frazzled. There's something else about this scene that's more over the top than what I've mentioned, but repeating it out of context would give the wrong idea. Believe it or not, this scene isn't meant to be sensationalist, the weird action mostly has to do with character.

But you don't want to know what the murder weapon is.
    A shrubbery?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Stigmata?
    It occurred to me that I was venturing into that territory, but it wasn't my intent. I was hoping that the guy bleeding from the soles of his feet rather than from the ankles would lead a different direction.

Funny thing is that this is the most violent thing I've written in some time, likely because of my intentionally quitting Paxil and the effects on my own psyche (which I do not keep in my feet), yet one of the themes is that the idea of redemptive violence is a myth. In the end, though, I end up questioning my own theme.

If you guys ever see this on the shelf, the universe will have likely collapsed in on itself. fwiw, the working title is "Rough, WV".

Turn Off Ads?