Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No love for Johnny Bench

No love for Johnny Bench

This Saturday the Reds will be paying tribute to probably the greatest catcher of all time and one of the most beloved Reds of all time with a new statue and such, yet it appears that ticket sales for the game are not very good. I am driving over from Indy to see this, really surprised that ticket sales are so bad...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: No love for Johnny Bench

I'm not going, but only because I already have tickets for Friday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.

JB is propably the best catcher to play the game and without a doubt one of the most recognizable Reds. I loved him as a kid. Since my opinion has changed. My Dad worked as his caddie at a golf event and said he was an absolute prick. He treated everybody he met (including small kids) with extreme sarcastic disrespect. Maybe others can say different, but to me, he is now just a grumpy old man who thinks people owe him something. I wouldn't pay a nickel to shake his hand.

I have met Pete... Nice guy, wants to have a conversation. Just my 2 cents though.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Quote Originally Posted by smoke6 View Post
    JB is propably the best catcher to play the game and without a doubt one of the most recognizable Reds. I loved him as a kid. Since my opinion has changed. My Dad worked as his caddie at a golf event and said he was an absolute prick. He treated everybody he met (including small kids) with extreme sarcastic disrespect. Maybe others can say different, but to me, he is now just a grumpy old man who thinks people owe him something. I wouldn't pay a nickel to shake his hand.

I have met Pete... Nice guy, wants to have a conversation. Just my 2 cents though.
    Thats wild, I have heard the exact same thing...I did meet Bench at the 2010 Reds HOF game, but it was only for a handshake and hi how are you?

Yeah a long time ago I went to a golf event at a course near Kings Island. I think it was a senior event maybe... I don't really remember. I went with a friend and his Dad and we were pretty young. Johnny Bench was there playing and before his round we were all lined up with other people to give him a five or whatever else, and some other kid tried to get an autograph and Bench told him no. Then he turned his back and started walking away from all of us while talking to another guy motioning back like we were some nuisance to him.

No doubt he was a great catcher, but that kinda stuff is lame.

I've never had any personal run ins with Bench but i've heard this same thing from a lot of people.

I agree 100%!!!!! I was a HUGE Bench fan as a kid, prob my all time fav player/idol. For my 10'th birthday my parents drove me from NC to Pittsburgh to see one of his last games, I dressed up as his 1983 baseball card, went to his HOF induction and slept on the street to be up close, etc. Met him in 2000 at a charity golf tourney, he was by far the rudest athlete (person?) I have ever met, and I have met a lot. He refused to sign or take a pic with anyone (I was the only one there at the time when I asked and asked him very nicely, and was wearing a Reds hat), which was fine but he was very rude about it. Then when a newspaper comes along to take his picture he picks up a little black girl to pose, then makes semi racist comments after the pic and she runs along. I wouldnt walk across the street to say hi at this point.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

NorthofDayton

Parking Pass

Looking for parking pass under the GABP for Friday game v. Brewers.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Reds fans will ALWAYS love Johnny Bench, but once the school year starts, if the Reds are out of the race, it's officially football season. The timing of the event is not good.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Reds fans will ALWAYS love Johnny Bench, but once the school year starts, if the Reds are out of the race, it's officially football season. The timing of the event is not good.
    They must have figured they would still be in the race at this point. Oops.

I will be shocked if there are over 20,000 there....

Hey, am I your dad?

I met Bench when I was caddying way back in the day. He was wearing a cast to give you an idea of when we are talking about. Could really hit a golf ball a mile even with that leg cast. Impressive as hell. Sadly, he was jerk. But, he was a prince among men compared to Bryant Gumbel who I met around that same time while caddying. In addition to be an insusfferable ass, Gumbel was wearing these really effeminate pink golf shoes.
    Last edited by BRM13; 09-14-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by BRM13 View Post
    Hey, am I your dad?
    First "Who's your daddy?" post I've seen on this board in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    there is no football season in Cincinnati

I agree that the timing is not that great, attendance would be great if the Reds had the same record as last season. I plan on going tommorow night just because I have free ticket vouchers I need to get rid of.

Turn Off Ads?