Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9/12/2011 Cubbies Vs Louisville Reds

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: 9/12/2011 Cubbies Vs Louisville Reds

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Francisco's blast an estimated 502 feet, end in GABP to Adama Dunn's 535 foot shot into the Ohio river in 2004.
    Dunner's HR hit on Mehring Way also, and bounced onto some driftwood on the edge of the river, according to this:

http://timeoutchicago.com/arts-cultu...m-dunn-profile

That reminds me of the story my dad and grandfathers all told me about the HR Big Klu hit out of Crosley that bounced onto a truck and didn't touch ground until Atlanta or Florida (the story always changed).

If I recall correctly, Dunn's HR off Lima was more towards CF than Francisco's was.

Both of them- monster blasts.
    sorry we're boring

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

As for the game. Dusty continues to kill me with these hit and runs and steals with guys aren't speedsters, like Bruce, Votto, Gomes, etc.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I was somewhat torn about trying to sign Willis on the cheap and slip him into the rotation next year. Thankfully, his recent pitching has wiped my brain clean of the idea. He's a good guy though, wish him the best.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Long bomb by Francisco. 2 run HR for Phillps. Its tied.

Sorry how this sounds, but I'm glad Willis is struggling. I don't want these idiots in the Reds "brain" trust to get any kind of an idea that he's an answer for 2012.
    I'm with you on Willis.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I was somewhat torn about trying to sign Willis on the cheap and slip him into the rotation next year. Thankfully, his recent pitching has wiped my brain clean of the idea. He's a good guy though, wish him the best.
    If he'd sign for the minimum as long man, spot starter and extra LHPH, I might give him a chance to earn a spot in spring training. But if some younger guys look good in spring (Horst, Boxberger, Maloney, whoever) He gets cut loose immediately. I wouldn't want him making starts more than two times through the rotation in a row.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-12-2011 at 08:37 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Dunner's HR hit on Mehring Way also, and bounced onto some driftwood on the edge of the river, according to this:

http://timeoutchicago.com/arts-cultu...m-dunn-profile

That reminds me of the story my dad and grandfathers all told me about the HR Big Klu hit out of Crosley that bounced onto a truck and didn't touch ground until Atlanta or Florida (the story always changed).

If I recall correctly, Dunn's HR off Lima was more towards CF than Francisco's was.

Both of them- monster blasts.

There's a story that Dave Parker hit a ball in AAA Watt Powell Park in Charleston, WV that landed in a coal train car and ended up in Nashville. I've always heard it told for the truth, but there are people who believe in places like "Atlantis" "Area 51" and "North Dakota" too.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Why aren't the Cubs playing their "kids:?
    They don't have many to play....

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    There's a story that Dave Parker hit a ball in AAA Watt Powell Park in Charleston, WV that landed in a coal train car and ended up in Nashville. I've always heard it told for the truth, but there are people who believe in places like "Atlantis" "Area 51" and "North Dakota" too.
    I wonder if your story is a myth. When I was a kid, I heard the same story, but it was Ernie Lombardi who was supposed to have hit the ball in the truck.

Another myth that we here a lot is about Johnny Bench catching some fireballing kid bare handed. I heard that one when I was a kid too. Of course I heard it about Lombardi before anyone had ever heard of Johnny Bench.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I've guessed it was a myth because of similar stories. iirc, Parker claimed it was true when someone asked him about it, though.

Congratulations to Brandon Phillips, who has now tied Hall-Of-Fame catcher Ernie Lombardi for 18th place on the Reds' all-time home run list!

Updated Reds HR list (players in italics are active):

Reds 100-Home Run Club
    1. Johnny Bench - 389
    2. Frank Robinson - 324
    3. Tony Perez - 287
    4. Adam Dunn - 270
    5. Ted Kluszewski - 251
    6. George Foster - 244
    7. Ken Griffey, Jr. - 210
    8. Eric Davis - 203
    9. Barry Larkin - 198
    10. Vada Pinson - 186
    11. Wally Post - 172
    12. Gus Bell - 160
    13. Joe Morgan - 152
    13. Pete Rose - 152
    15. Lee May - 147
    16. Dan Driessen - 133
    17. Reggie Sanders - 125
    18. Ernie Lombardi - 120
    18. Brandon Phillips - 120
    20. Sean Casey - 118
    20. Joey Votto - 118
    22. Frank McCormick - 110
    23. Dave Parker - 107
    24. Chris Sabo - 104
    25. Dave Concepcion - 101
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Here's a Dave Parker story that is true. I acquired my passion for the Reds from my late grandmother, who was such a diehard fan that she wrote letters to the players, especially after they had bungled plays or suffered losses, encouraging them to do better. Several players wrote back to her, Tom Browning being among her regular pen pals.

I still get goosebumps remembering May 26, 1987 when my grandmother asked us to take her to see the Reds play against the Cubs at Riverfront. She was so frail at the time -- barely 90 pounds -- that my brothers and I had to take turns carrying her up the stairs to our upper berth seats. The game was a cliffhanger, tied 2-2 going into the 9th with Franco pitching in relief for the Reds, and Lee Smith on the mound for the Cubs. My grandmother was really too sick to stay for extra innings, but she wasn't concerned about that. Dave Parker was due up and she declared in advance that he would win the game for the Reds with a walk-off home run. Lo and behold, she not only called the shot, but the pitch when Dave would homer and the exact locale off CF where he would wallop the ball.

From that time on, I've always harbored a soft spot for Dave Parker, and also never doubted my grandmother's long-reputed psychic abilities!

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    I was there when he did hit a ball into a coal car. That part is true, but the rest of the story may be local legend.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I just want to see what www.Hittrackeronline.com has to say about Francisco's HR tomorrow.

Quick 1-2-3 outing for Masset in the 9th. First Reds' pitcher tonight to hold the Cubs completely at bay, although the runs Burton allowed got charged to Willis. 12-7. Top of our order up for one last hurrah.

Phillips draws a walk from Ramon Ortiz.

Turn Off Ads?