Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What is your smartphone?

Re: What is your smartphone?

I'm still using a 2-year old Palm Pre from Sprint. I love webOS.

I just ordered a Pre 2 from Verizon and I'm really counting on HP to continue their commitment to webOS. It's an incredible mobile platform that suffered from poor hardware choices and even worse marketing.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I'm toolsy.

So, now that I'm thoroughly disappointed with the iPhone "4S" offering, does anyone have any good AT&T smartphone suggestions for this former iPhone fanboy? Does anything have the technology to wirelessly charge?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The "S" Upgrade -- Screwing people on odd-numbered cell phone agreements since 2009.

What a dud product announcement by Apple.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I have the iphone 4 and I love it...have had tons of smartphones and they all have their pluses and minuses....it just seems for me the iphone 4 has less minuses(oh yeah) than any other smartphone out there that I have tried....I am intrigued by some of the dell phones but I have never tried them....for what I need a smartphone to do, apple is right up my alley....I need my smartphones to be:

Fast
    Reliable
    good battery
    lots of storage for music and apps and pics
    easy U.I.
    easy to sync to my computer...and i have a NON mac
    a good calendar system...this is the only area where the iphone is lacking
    easy to jailbreak
    easy internet surfing

these are the things that mean the most to me when using a smartphone as I dont use the iphone for work, so 99% of my usage is just general fun stuff and the iphone 4 is perfect for that....it really is simple and if your just using it for internet and texting and crap like that then I dont see how anyone would want anything but the iphone 4.....

Now, if your using it for work and need office or word or some form of that stuff, then there are several phones I would consider over the iphone....you can still use word and office and excel with the iphone, its just not as user friendly and not as fast as other phones.....

I also dont see why anyone who has the 4 or the 3gs would want to upgrade to this new iphone 4S....it just dont seem like its much of an upgrade over the 4.....save your upgrade and get the 5 when it comes out in the spring or fall of 2012.....seems like a no brainer to me and i really think Apple struck out worse than Adam Dunn with this new phone....I see them losing a ton of customers to Sprint if the rumnors are true with the iphone5...time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    So, now that I'm thoroughly disappointed with the iPhone "4S" offering, does anyone have any good AT&T smartphone suggestions for this former iPhone fanboy? Does anything have the technology to wirelessly charge?
    Well Android is the way to go IMO. and AT&T is horrible about promoting them, but they do have some nice options. The Samsung Galaxy S II is supposed to be the cream of the crop. HTC's Inspire is AT&T's version of the Evo. The Sony Xperia Play has a playstation type controller that slides out for gaming. The Samsung Infuse has a 4.5 inch screen, bigger than the Evo and the LG Thrill has a 3D screen. no glasses needed.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I also dont see why anyone who has the 4 or the 3gs would want to upgrade to this new iphone 4S....it just dont seem like its much of an upgrade over the 4.....save your upgrade and get the 5 when it comes out in the spring or fall of 2012.....seems like a no brainer to me and i really think Apple struck out worse than Adam Dunn with this new phone....I see them losing a ton of customers to Sprint if the rumnors are true with the iphone5...time will tell
    My 3GS has a faulty radio, and I can't any signal unless I drop back to EDGE data.

It's been annoying in any number of ways, not the least of which being that when I set my phone on the nightstand before bed the EDGE frequency causes my clock-radio to sound like alien signals are being emitted. Only way to keep it anywhere near me (in case I get a call at night) is to turn the data functions of manually every night.

I was really hoping fro a re-designed iPhone -- but this is garbage. No way I'm signing a 2 year service agreement and locking myself into the "down" upgrade cycle (while watching everyone get flashy new phones next summer).

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    My 3GS has a faulty radio, and I can't any signal unless I drop back to EDGE data.

It's been annoying in any number of ways, not the least of which being that when I set my phone on the nightstand before bed the EDGE frequency causes my clock-radio to sound like alien signals are being emitted. Only way to keep it anywhere near me (in case I get a call at night) is to turn the data functions of manually every night.
    That used to annoy the crap out of me.

Went away when I moved to the 4 on Verizon.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I think if they'd called it "iPhone 5" and redesigned the case, and everything else was the same as the 4S, people would have a much more positive reaction to it.

I would guess the Next Big Thing isn't ready yet and this gives them something in the meantime to sell to all the people whose 3GS contracts are up.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I would definitely go with the Samsung Galaxy S2. It might be the best phone out there. If that isn't an option for you I've heard good things about the Samsung Infuse (if you like bigger screens) and the HTC Inspire.

So I ended up getting a 4s. I wasn't going to but a couple days before the launch my wife's phone was stolen. I offered for her to get the iPhone but she said she'd rather have my evo.

I didn't think id say this but it's better than my evo, and it's not really close.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    So I ended up getting a 4s. I wasn't going to but a couple days before the launch my wife's phone was stolen. I offered for her to get the iPhone but she said she'd rather have my evo.

I didn't think id say this but it's better than my evo, and it's not really close.
    I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this and was hoping someone would chime in. Thanks!

I'm toolsy.

So shortly after posting this and getting the board's input, I bought the Samsung Galaxy SII. That lasted for about a week and I realized I'm too set in my ways and I returned the droid phone and got the new 4S. It's really a great phone, regardless of having the same exterior as it's predecessor. The dual processor is crazy fast and the camera is the best I've ever owned.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The new sneak peak of Android's "Ice Cream Sandwich" platform has me pretty excited. I am eligible for an upgrade currently, but am probably going to wait it out for a while since my phone currently is still working well.

I demoed a SG2 at an AT&T store, and just didn't like the look and feel of the phone or the Android OS. I, too, ended up buying a new 4S.

In a word: Wow.

The new processor makes everything fly on the phone, and the HSPA+ chip really does deliver MUCH faster 3G service than I ever got on the 3GS (I confirmed with Speedtest that I'm getting well in excess of 2X the speed of my friends with iPhone 4s) and all with unlimited data on the grandfathered AT&T plan.

Really happy with the 4S so far. I also sprung for an Otterbox case, which should hopefully keep the phone well protected should I decide to sell when the 5 comes out.

Found this interesting:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/12/a...f-androids-ui/

A little peek at what Android would have looked like had it not been for Eric Schmidt sitting on Apple's board of directors and getting an up-close look at the then-iPhoneOS.

Turn Off Ads?