Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wait a minute..............Jacoby Ellsbury

Re: Wait a minute..............Jacoby Ellsbury

Paul Blair 1600 ab's before 1969 a HR every 58 ab's, 1 every 39 in ML.

1969 1 HR every 24 ab's

Rest of his career 1 every 48 ab's

2 for the Reds in 1979... that team was "scrappy"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ellsbury is a lefthanded Red Sox hitter who at age 27 has had a power surge.
    In 1967 another 27 year old lefthanded Red Sox hitter, whose previous season high in HRs was 20, and who had hit a total of 36 HRs in the two full seasons in 1965-66, suddenly hit 44 HRs and won the triple crown. Jacoby Ellsbury, meet Carl Yastremzski.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Jacoby Ellsbury, meet Carl Yastremzski.
    Apples, meet oranges.

Yaz's leap was big, but it wasn't nearly the quantum leap Ellsbury has made. Ellsbury had never hit double-digit HR in any pro season until this year.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I must say, Stubbs body language tonight at the plate was not good. The strikeouts are really getting to his head.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I must say, Stubbs body language tonight at the plate was not good. The strikeouts are really getting to his head.
    I assume you meant this for another thread.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Wade Boggs, 1987. Same team, same side of the plate as Ellsbury. Went from 5, 5, 6, 8, and 8 homers to 24. Personally, I think it was all that chicken he ate.

But maybe the chicken was on steroids.
    87 is a great year for comparison...........

We'll see how the Ellsbury thing plays out. I'm glad a few people agree with me, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that he makes the huge leap forward he has this year. Either way. It's very, very rare. Outside of what has become known as the "steroid" era.
    Last edited by hebroncougar; 09-16-2011 at 08:25 AM.

Turn Off Ads?