Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Castellini says Jocketty and Baker will both return

Castellini says Jocketty and Baker will both return

www.mlbtraderumors.com

Not that there was much doubt...
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Castellini says Jocketty and Baker will both return

The dreaded vote of confidence. I know how that usually ends up...
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

Interesting day. Within the time frame of a few hours, we learn:

*Jocketty will be back.
    *Baker will be back.
    *Alonso is our likely opening day starter in LF.

If Cordero gets re-signed before the season ends, then what, pray tell, will be left for us to speculate about this winter? An Arredondo for Shields deal? Or better yet, a two-for-one swap -- Orioles send us J. J. Hardy and Adam Jones for Paul Janish?

We can only hope the weeks to come are as interesting as today.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds Owner Says Jocketty, Baker Will Return
    By Mike Axisa [September 14 at 6:52pm CST]
    The season has not gone according to plan for the Reds, who are 72-76 and 14.5 games back of the Brewers in the NL Central. GM Walt Jocketty's contract is up after the season, and there's been some speculation that he could be a fit for the Cubs. Reds owner Bob Castellini shot that down though, telling John Fay of The Cincinnati Enquirer that both Jocketty and manager Dusty Baker will be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds Owner Says Jocketty, Baker Will Return
    By Mike Axisa [September 14 at 6:52pm CST]
    The season has not gone according to plan for the Reds, who are 72-76 and 14.5 games back of the Brewers in the NL Central. GM Walt Jocketty's contract is up after the season, and there's been some speculation that he could be a fit for the Cubs. Reds owner Bob Castellini shot that down though, telling John Fay of The Cincinnati Enquirer that both Jocketty and manager Dusty Baker will be back.
    I can live with this.

There is no point in firing Dusty just to replace him with someone else with the same mindset.

Usually the only guys that ever get hired to Manage a MLB team are guys who believe in going by "The Book" because it let's their decisions go unquestioned.

Stay the course.
    Go Gators!

All in all, good news. Will be interesting to see how Dusty oversees the transition to some younger bats.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    All in all, good news. Will be interesting to see how Dusty oversees the transition to some younger bats.
    You mean like Bruce, Votto, and Stubbs?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Stay the course.
    Or is is "Stay the curse?"

Why Bob would want to continue to have a GM and a manager who aren't on the same page is a mystery. Is it time to start wishing for a new owner?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Why Bob would want to continue to have a GM and a manager who aren't on the same page is a mystery. Is it time to start wishing for a new owner?
    No thanks, I like this one better than any we've had in recent memory.

I also value continuity, not for it's own sake, but because that's how winning organizations operate. If Dusty and Walt had some differences, and I'm sure there is always disagreement within any front office, then it sounds like they have been worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    No thanks, I like this one better than any we've had in recent memory.
    I do too, but just because the last two grade out at D and F, while this one's a B headed toward a C, doesn't mean the Reds can't do better.

I do too, but just because the last two grade out at D and F, while this one's a B headed toward a C, doesn't mean the Reds can't do better.
    How does a team "do better" with an owner? You don't get to pick one, or even hire one like any other member of the organization.

You get what you get.

I think this city is lucky to have Castellini owning the Reds. Is he perfect? Heck no. But he has a burning desire to win, he's from Cincinnati and loves the city and the Reds, and is very conversant on and respectful of the history of his team.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    How does a team "do better" with an owner? You don't get to pick one, or even hire one like any other member of the organization.

You get what you get.
    That's why I said "wish for." I realize there's no vote.

I think this city is lucky to have Castellini owning the Reds. Is he perfect? Heck no. But he has a burning desire to win,
    And therein lies the rub. IMO, retaining the dysfunctional duo of Jocketty and Baker does not represent a "burning desire to win" anymore. It represents a position of hunkering down and hoping for the best.

he's from Cincinnati and loves the city and the Reds, and is very conversant on and respectful of the history of his team.
    I'm not from Cincinnati and I have no loyalty to anything else in Cincinnati, so being local is not important to me. I want an owner who'll put a winning team in the front office and on the field for my favorite MLB team. I'm no longer confident that Castellini is committed to doing that. I do believe he's committed to not losing money. If being local means being cheap, then I hope he sells the club to Mark Cuban.

I'm not from Cincinnati and I have no loyalty to anything else in Cincinnati, so being local is not important to me. I want an owner who'll put a winning team in the front office and on the field for my favorite MLB team. I'm no longer confident that Castellini is committed to doing that. I do believe he's committed to not losing money. If being local means being cheap, then I hope he sells the club to Mark Cuban.
    haha- Cuban owning the team will certainly solve that pesky $ issue; then the Reds can stock up on SP's like the Phillies do.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Jocketty and Baker not being on the same page is speculation and should not be presented as fact.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Turn Off Ads?