Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does Heisey factor in?

Where does Heisey factor in?

I keep wanting to...not exactly 'write him off', but accept that his best value is as a 4th outfielder...but he just keeps hitting homers. Is it fair to assume he wouldn't work as an everyday guy given his low walk rate/skill set or could he possibly have a higher ceiling than I give him credit for?
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Where does Heisey factor in?

I keep thinking this too, but at some point we have to move him PAST Drew Stubbs in the pecking order I think. We keep seeing him in contention for the LF slot, but I personally think he's better suited for center. He's a notch below Drew defensively, but he's still well above average. My concern though is if they do decide to go with Yonder in left...not having Drew in center will hurt more. But regardless, Chris deserves more opportunities.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Is his power worth the drop off in defense AND OBP from Stubbs? I am not sure that it is. I think he is a fourth outfielder with real good power.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Is his power worth the drop off in defense AND OBP from Stubbs? I am not sure that it is. I think he is a fourth outfielder with real good power.
    We would see a drop in defense, but the difference in their OBP is negligible. Heisey last season, for instance, had an OBP of .324, higher than Stubbs' .320 this season. They are close enough on that account that either could have the higher OBP in 2012.

On a Casey Stengel or Earl Weaver team he could be something else, which it looks like is the angle he's getting in Cincinnati.

He's gonna get a nice pension at this rate.

I would look at a package with Grandal, Stubb/Heisey, a starter and another piece to TB for Shields.

If Stubbs were dealt, I'd let he and Sappelt fight it out for center. I'd also like to find a LH OF who can play center and hit leadoff to compete with them. If Heisey isn't the starting CF, then he is the 4th OF and first reserve at all three spots. He also splits time with lonso in LF against tough lefties at least.

I'd semi-platoon Heisey and Sappelt in CF and deal Stubbs, as I don't believe Stubbs will ever be able to fix the holes in his swing. Heisey would, IMO, provide better power than Stubbs, with similar BA and obp. Defensively, Stubbs is better.

IMO, they're six of one and a half dozen of the other in those two areas.

But, because Stubbs is much faster on the basepaths and a good base stealer, he gets the nod.

That said, I wouldn't be overly concerned about dealing Stubbs as a part of a package to get a TOR arm. Or Heisey, for that matter. Or Sappelt.

You just don't want all three on your team next season. That's overkill, IMO.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Heisey's a quality 4th OF and a good bat off the bench. There's no shame in letting him be just that until he hits free agency and tries his luck at starting someplace else.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Heisey's a quality 4th OF and a good bat off the bench. There's no shame in letting him be just that until he hits free agency and tries his luck at starting someplace else.
    Yep. Good teams have guys like him on the bench.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

You guys are starting to sound like Dusty.

I think Heisey is a solid #4 guy right now that should start 70 games a year at all 3 postions, @ 300 at bats, and should work well with Yonder in a platoon role in LF next year! Thus allowing us to focus on acquiring a #2 starter and a Shortstop for 2012!

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    I think Heisey is a solid #4 guy right now that should start 70 games a year at all 3 postions, @ 300 at bats, and should work well with Yonder in a platoon role in LF next year! Thus allowing us to focus on acquiring a #2 starter and a Shortstop for 2012!
    So no confidence that Cozart can man SS on this team?

I would like a legit starter at SS with Cozart being the platoon guy, I don't want to go into 2012 with another black hole at SS. Cozart did well when he was here but too small of a sample size to bank on for a whole season just yet!

I'm fine with Cozart at SS with Janish as his backup. maybe bring Didi up mid-season to give you a LH MI option. I'd bat Cozart 8th and think he'd do wellne. I think there are much more pressing needs.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 09-15-2011 at 12:56 AM.

I'm glad there is a Heisey thread today, I want to see what people think about his swing this year. I noticed it's a little bit quieter than last year. He used to keep his hands higher and busier pre swing then really drop them into place somewhat violently. This year it seems like the whole swing in closer to one motion, which I figure would help even if his numbers aren't drastically better. His power is up, though. Check out these two HR swings from 9/26 last year and 9/15 this year:

Last year:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...y_12494909&v=3

This year:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...y_19225931&v=3

Last year's video is a swing on a lower pitch so it can make his hand drop seem more drastic, but I still think it has slowed down and is more in control.

What do you think?
    Unofficial Johnny Cueto Cy Young Campaign President For Reds Fans by a Reds Fan
    Johnny Cueto's Next Start:
    AUGUST 20, 7:15 PM ET @ Busch Stadium
    MORTAL COMBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?