Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Francisco win the 3B job in 2012?

Can Francisco win the 3B job in 2012?

Probably not but if Francisco can play as well as he has for the rest of the year and has a great spring training, he may have a shot at unseating Rolen as the regular third baseman. Of course I am very skeptical that this would happen but he's certainly making a case for himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can Francisco win the 3B job in 2012?

I doubt he'll win the job outright but he'll surely get more playing time over there. If we have two legit 3rd basemen then it's an embarrassment of riches and a very nice problem to have

My guess is that Scott will start about 120 games with Francisco getting most of the rest of the starts. Same with Yonder in left. He'll get 80 starts. I don't expect the Reds will be adding a bat. Especially if they keep Codero.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Issue is this -- can Reds keep Cairo and Francisco on big club?

Most teams have one bench infielder who plays shortstop. Neither JF nor MC does.

If Rolen is healthy, with JF and MC there are three third sackers. Too many guys at one position.

Cairo is signed for next year and is considered valuable.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-14-2011 at 11:54 PM.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I think it's far more likely that Francisco ends up in LF and something happens with Votto or Alonso (my guess being Votto).

Still, put me in the camp that doesn't think Francisco can maintain a high enough contact rate against major-league pitching to offset his lack of walks. Francisco's minor league numbers tell us that if he isn't hitting .280 - .290 he's an out-machine.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

He's a mistake hitter who's got some pop and is currently having a Willie Green September.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Issue is this -- can Reds keep Cairo and Francico on big club?
    Difficult, but it can be done if you have a utility guy on the bench like Hairston who can play a little SS and 2B as well as serve as a fifth outfielder. We have Frazier who might be able to fill that all-around sub role, but we shall see if he gets enough reps at SS to handle that kind of assignment.

Otherwise, you're right. The Reds would be hard-pressed to keep both Francisco and Cairo. But I certainly wouldn't worry about Cairo blocking Francisco. If the kid keeps playing like he has been lately, and the Reds don't deal him off this winter, he'll be on the roster come next summer. The closer that Rolen gets to retirement, the more we'll need to groom his successor, not his understudy.

Also, I doubt we'll have any trouble finding a new home for Cairo. Like Betemit, he's up in age, but still keeps ticking. Plenty of teams would want a guy like him on their bench. Could get us a decent prospect or perhaps a bullpen arm.

I like how it has played out. I hope he's done enough to catch someone's eye.

That press from his HR helped.

I think Frazier is the eventual 3bagger for us and he also can play all infield positions in a pinch. I think Francisco's value right now will be as an add-in as a piece to land a #2-3 starter in the offseason!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He's a mistake hitter who's got some pop and is currently having a Willie Green September.
    Willie Greene had some pop, and also some really spiffy baseball cards, but I don't recall him ever pulling off a play like this at 3B.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=19226485

But before Francisco can win the 3B job in Cincy, he'll need to straighten out his cap.

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=...ng&w=350&h=254

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    But before Francisco can win the 3B job in Cincy, he'll need to straighten out his cap.

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=...ng&w=350&h=254
    Yep, an Immature Lazy Thug with no respect for the game if I've ever seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Yep, an Immature Lazy Thug with no respect for the game if I've ever seen one.
    Cmon this thread was about Juan, not Cueto and Volquez (sarcasm)
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Yes, he can win the job. Baker is a huge fan of Francisco, and Baker makes up the lineup card. The question is Rolen -- how healthy will he be? My guess -- they split time until Rolen wears down or Francisco tanks.

I like Francisco, always have. I don't think what we're seeing now is flukey. Keep him on a fitness program and give him protection in the lineup. Guy has a chance to do major damage in the NL Central. If it were up to me, I'd make him the starter and spot Rolen. Not sure that's going to be possible, though, for Baker, and that's completely understandable, given Rolen's status in the clubhouse.

I don't mind Francisco playing 3B if his D is average and he's hitting 6th-7th in the order... I just don't want Dusty to put him in the middle of the order because he's a "run producer" and then cite his winter ball stats to back it up. Francisco has some pop, but I don't think he'll ever hit for enough avg. or walk enough to be a plus in the middle of the order. I like the thought of keeping both him and Frazier for pop off the bench and it gives them some flexibility with the positions the can play. I just don't want the Reds putting to much faith in Scotty being healthy next year and I don't want them continuing to believe that he is still a clean up hitter. All in all, I like the talent the young guys have showed and the potential upside they bring.

Turn Off Ads?