Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    So the answer is no one did.
    Yeah right. If you truly don't think Newton's dad did no wrong I really don't even know what to say. Even my buddy who went to Auburn said it was well known.

But I guess it is possible that Cam's father Cecil, who was a pastor at Holy Zion Center of Deliverance, a church that at the time Newton went to Auburn was about to be foreclosed on and demolished unless it got some expensive repairs, got the load of cash to fix his church from a tree right?

The reason nothing happened to Newton was because the NCAA said since sCam Newton didn't know anything about it they couldn't punish him for it.

O.J was found not guilty too...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    There is a reason most every college, and most athletic directors rail against oversigning. This isn't pro sports.

I guess I find the idea of promising a young man a college education to play football, only to yank his scholarship from him when I happen to recruit someone better than him at the same position is a little disreputable and immoral.
    I tend to agree with you and as such I'd suggest the NCAA pass rules against such practices and enforce them. I blame the NCAA here not any schools. I have no problem with a football team that wins because they're secretly "holding" on every play. I blame the refs for not flagging them but I say kudos to the guilty team for doing what they could get away with in order to win

Yeah right. If you truly don't think Newton's dad did no wrong I really don't even know what to say. Even my buddy who went to Auburn said it was well known.

But I guess it is possible that Cam's father Cecil, who was a pastor at Holy Zion Center of Deliverance, a church that at the time Newton went to Auburn was about to be foreclosed on and demolished unless it got some expensive repairs, got the load of cash to fix his church from a tree right?

The reason nothing happened to Newton was because the NCAA said since sCam Newton didn't know anything about it they couldn't punish him for it.

O.J was found not guilty too...
    I think youre confused on this issue. Auburn was completely exhonerated concerning the recruitment of Cam. You can drink some nasty tasting wine made from your SEC sour grapes all you want, but at least stick to facts.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I think youre confused on this issue. Auburn was completely exhonerated concerning the recruitment of Cam. You can drink some nasty tasting wine made from your SEC sour grapes all you want, but at least stick to facts.
    OJ received a 'not guilty' verdict too.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    OJ received a 'not guilty' verdict too.
    The NCAA wasn't beholden to the opinions of 12 citizens who may or may not have been biased.

But you already knew that your statement was a fallacy of false equivalence (otherwise known as a fart of logical). The question is why would one do that purposefully in public?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

The NCAA wasn't beholden to the opinions of 12 citizens who may or may not have been biased.

But you already knew that your statement was a fallacy of false equivalence (otherwise known as a fart of logical). The question is why would one do that purposefully in public?
    So you common sense tells you OJ was innocent?

Oh well. Obviously you will believe what you want to believe, and I'm in a great mood since I got my playoff tickets so I don't want to argue about something that happened a couple years ago. The biggest issue I have with the SEC is oversigning. It should be outlawed by the NCAA.

And I actually think I read or heard somewhere that the NCAA is making or has made a new rule requiring all athletic scholarships to be 4 year scholarships, so hopefully slimeballs like Saban and Miles won't be able to take kids educations away for underperforming on the field.

Although I'm sure the slimeballs will try and get as many "grayshirts" as they can I hope this balances things out like it rightfully should. Still, it will take 4 years for it all to even out so we will probably see Bama and LSU sporting NFL'like teams for the next 3-4 years.

And I actually think I read or heard somewhere that the NCAA is making or has made a new rule requiring all athletic scholarships to be 4 year scholarships, so hopefully slimeballs like Saban and Miles won't be able to take kids educations away for underperforming on the field.
    I, for one, don't really have a problem with that. The kids only get the scholarship in the first place because of their performance on the field, so I don't see the issue in taking it away if they don't peform. It's no different to me than requiring someone on academic scholarship to maintain a certain GPA.

Oh well. Obviously you will believe what you want to believe, and I'm in a great mood since I got my playoff tickets so I don't want to argue about something that happened a couple years ago. The biggest issue I have with the SEC is oversigning. It should be outlawed by the NCAA.

Although I'm sure the slimeballs will try and get as many "grayshirts" as they can I hope this balances things out like it rightfully should. Still, it will take 4 years for it all to even out so we will probably see Bama and LSU sporting NFL'like teams for the next 3-4 years.
    If Saban and Miles are slimeballs for pullling scolarships, are Pitino and Tom Crean also slimeballs for doing the same thing in basketball? Haven't Brady Hoke and Urban Meyer done the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I tend to agree with you and as such I'd suggest the NCAA pass rules against such practices and enforce them. I blame the NCAA here not any schools. I have no problem with a football team that wins because they're secretly "holding" on every play. I blame the refs for not flagging them but I say kudos to the guilty team for doing what they could get away with in order to win
    I agree with you Sea Ray. The other thing to keep in mind is that the players aren't dumb. I would think they can count and know that they're signing a LOI to a school that has too few scholarships.

To me, it comes down to honesty. So long as the coach is honest about the player's standing and upfront about not knowing if the scholarships will definitely open up, there's nothing wrong with the practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

So paying someone's dad over 200K is ok? Weird...As far as the SEC goes, the SEC East is for the most part clean.

My biggest gripes about some SEC teams are:

1. Cam Newton, a felon who stole a laptop from his roomate while at UF, goes to Auburn after his Dad shopped him around for over 200K. The NCAA said his dad found a "loophole" that got them a get out of jail free card.

2. Can't remember his name, but last year an LSU player stomped a US Marine down until he wasn't unconscious.

3.The practice of oversigning, which is a religion at LSU and Alabama.

There are some SEC fans who know about this, many shrug it off, but when a team gets what equals an extra recruiting class every four years there is no doubt it gives them a vast advantage over teams who find this practice unethical.

Check out www.oversigning.com to learn more.

4. ESPN's seemingly blind eye they turn to all the dirty shananigans the SEC pulls, yet their seemingly constant coverage of every little thing a Big Ten team does. I'm sure having a contract with the SEC has something to with this. The Big Ten Network being one of their main competitors probably has something to do with this as well.

With the exception of UF, every SEC team that's won the NC in their run they've had are all notorious oversigners.

I can let the Newton pay for play scandal fly by, but to me oversigning shouldn't be allowed in college football. It's unethical and simply not right.

That's what irkes alot of fans. I do have alot of respect for Georgia coach Mark Richt. He has been an outspoken opponent of oversigning and I feel bad for a guy who does it the right way but can't get ahead in his own conference because scumbags like Saban and Miles continue to oversign.
    Urban Meyer is going to bring oversigning to Ohio State . Believe that.....
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Here is another coach that has been Sabanized:

http://www.arkansassports360.com/870...e-you-to-smile

Seriously, would you ever let this men mold your child ? Basically he killed his career.

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Boy,the hatred for Saban is dreadful in this thread.But coming from squeaky clean Ohio State and it's fans,its par for the course.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

I'm pretty sure John L. killed his career when he lost to UL-Monroe. Losing 52-0 to Alabama didn't help, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'm pretty sure John L. killed his career when he lost to UL-Monroe. Losing 52-0 to Alabama didn't help, either.
    No Saban lost UAB his first year with LSU and also to Louisiana-Monroe his first year with Alabama. You can bet Saban wasn't smiling after either lose.. If JLS comes out and doesn't make excuses, he survives. His comments after halftime of the Alabama game also sealed his fate. When the reporter asked what changes would be made for the 2nd half & he answered.."Just keep doing what we're doing"(not his exact words)..Really coach..What you did in the 1st half opened up a "can of whoop a.." for your players.. It was clear he was in over head.
    Last edited by 19braves77; 09-19-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Turn Off Ads?