Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 1005

Thread: SEC Football Discussion Thread

  1. #61
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,418

    Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

    And yet Oregon only outgained Bama by 40 yards.

    Oregon and WVU were able to score some because virtually every time LSU touched the ball against their defenses, they scored.

    College football is all about matchups. Clearly LSU and Bama have enough offense to put up points on most good college teams. I tend to think this game was a bit of an anomaly because those defenses are so good.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,108

    Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    This was a pitcher's duel involving two incredible defenses.
    Call it what you want. I saw two inept offenses.

  4. #63
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Call it what you want. I saw two inept offenses.
    Agreed. Oregon and WVU proved you can move the ball on LSU. Both teams repeatedly shot themselves in the foot with turnovers but still managed to put up good offensive numbers. I have a feeling Weeden and Blackmon would do the same, but hopefully without the turnovers.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  5. #64
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,418

    Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Agreed. Oregon and WVU proved you can move the ball on LSU. Both teams repeatedly shot themselves in the foot with turnovers but still managed to put up good offensive numbers. I have a feeling Weeden and Blackmon would do the same, but hopefully without the turnovers.
    But they'll give up 40+ and only score in the 20s. Not winning football.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  6. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    But they'll give up 40+ and only score in the 20s. Not winning football.
    I think an LSU vs. Oklahoma State matchup would look a lot like that Oregon game, but maybe a little closer because Okie St has better skill players.

    I'd give Stanford a chance against LSU if they got ahead early and made LSU throw. I think LSU would wear them down running the ball and I'm not sure Stanford has the depth to hang.

    Who knows with Boise, but I'd be willing to bet it wouldn't be a bad game either.

  7. #66
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,108

    Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think an LSU vs. Oklahoma State matchup would look a lot like that Oregon game, but maybe a little closer because Okie St has better skill players.

    I'd give Stanford a chance against LSU if they got ahead early and made LSU throw. I think LSU would wear them down running the ball and I'm not sure Stanford has the depth to hang.

    Who knows with Boise, but I'd be willing to bet it wouldn't be a bad game either.
    I don't think Stanford could match up with LSU athletically. I think they could out scheme LSU and if they got a lead it could be an interesting game but I just don't see it.

    Okie State may just be the best match up. Better overall talent than Oregon, and can score points in bunches.

    I think Boise would end up a lot like a Stanford game. I don't think they have the horses to play with LSU.

    The best match up may just be a one loss Oklahoma, even with Broyles out. They have the best talent out there to match up with LSU and have a top tier QB.

  8. #67
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    But they'll give up 40+ and only score in the 20s. Not winning football.
    Not if they hang on to the football. Turnovers killed Oregon and WVU. Don't turn the ball over four times and I doubt LSU scores more than 30.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  9. #68
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,846

    Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Not if they hang on to the football. Turnovers killed Oregon and WVU. Don't turn the ball over four times and I doubt LSU scores more than 30.
    Sometimes the other team causes the turnovers though.

  10. #69
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sometimes the other team causes the turnovers though.
    True, and other times the other team just makes a dumb mistake resulting in a turnover. Oregon's punt returner muffed a punt inside his own 10 yard line...Geno Smith made a horrible pass right before halftime. Can't really give the defense credit for that.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  11. #70
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,846

    Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    True, and other times the other team just makes a dumb mistake resulting in a turnover. Oregon's punt returner muffed a punt inside his own 10 yard line...Geno Smith made a horrible pass right before halftime. Can't really give the defense credit for that.
    Absolutely. I don't recall all of both games, but given the total amount of turnovers, I assumed that some were caused by the defense.

  12. #71
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,514

    Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Oregon traveled halfway across the country and scored 27 points on LSU's defense despite turning the ball over FOUR times.

    West Virginia threw for 463 yards against LSU and had 533 total yards, and like Oregon, they turned the ball over four times.

    LSU has had trouble against great offenses outside the SEC this season.
    Your implication seems to be that the LSU defense is overrated.

    LSU held Oregon to just 335 total yards and under 100 rushing. Under whose defintion, is that "proving they could move the ball on LSU"? Oregon is averaging 511 total yards/game and 298/g rushing. LSU only beat the then #3 team in the country by 13 but it wasn't really that close. LSU did not have trouble with Oregon's offense.

    Concerning the road game against WVU, Geno did pass for a ton of yards in a 26 point loss, but LSU essentially controlled that game.
    Last edited by jojo; 11-07-2011 at 01:27 PM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  13. #72
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Your implication seems to be that the LSU defense is overrated.

    LSU held Oregon to just 335 total yards and under 100 rushing. Under whose defintion, is that "proving they could move the ball on LSU"? Oregon is averaging 511 total yards/game and 298/g rushing. LSU only beat the then #3 team in the country by 13 but it wasn't really that close. LSU did not have trouble with Oregon's offense.

    Concerning the road game against WVU, Geno did pass for a ton of yards in a 26 point loss, but LSU essentially controlled that game.
    Oregon scored 27 points despite turning the ball over four times. Who knows how many more they score without the mistakes.

    The WVU-LSU game was a six point game late in the third quarter...
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  14. #73
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,835

    Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Both teams are severely lacking at QB. Combine that with great defenses and you get 15 points.
    Yep.

    The LSU and Alabama offenses are not completely one-dimensional like, say, the old Nebraska teams were, but in one sense they're the same: the entire offensive philosophy is based on the belief that they will physically whip the opponent in the run game. When they met Saturday and found out they couldn't -- immovable object > irresistible force -- they had nothing for an answer. That's where a QB needs to step up and make a throw or five, and it didn't happen.
    Not all who wander are lost

  15. #74
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,530

    Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Oregon traveled halfway across the country and scored 27 points on LSU's defense despite turning the ball over FOUR times.

    West Virginia threw for 463 yards against LSU and had 533 total yards, and like Oregon, they turned the ball over four times.

    LSU has had trouble against great offenses outside the SEC this season.
    Very true. I don't think Alabama is a great offense by any means but they're an awfully good team

  16. #75
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Very true. I don't think Alabama is a great offense by any means but they're an awfully good team
    I agree that Alabama is a great team. They are a top 5-7 team in my book. I just don't think it's fair to place them ahead of an undefeated Oklahoma State or Stanford at the end of the season.
    I miss Adam Dunn.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25