Turn Off Ads?
Page 63 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 LastLast

Thread: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

30% of the Big "XII" is Iowa State, Kansas and Baylor, and you want to talk about the SEC's garbage?!? Huh?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Heres how I break it down:

TBD:
    Missouri
    Texas A&M

They're new to the game, the return on aTm is high right now. Can they build on it or return to where they were in the Big 12 which was usually toward the middle to upper middle of the conference.

*These are in no particular order*
    Creme:
    Florida
    Alabama
    LSU

Second Tier:
    Tennessee
    Auburn (I apologize doing some reading I thought they had a rougher go after the sanctions in the 90s *See Miami*)
    Georgia

Third Tier:
    South Carolina
    Arkansas

Both joined together in 91 and had some successes at various times.

Bottom:
    Vanderbilt
    Kentucky
    Ole Miss
    Miss State
    I think you watch too much ESPN.

The programs you're describing as "second tier" are ranked 9th, 13th and 16th all-time based upon winning percentage. There are only two Big 12 teams ranked higher than Auburn all-time.

If you just look at the last 30 years, Georgia is ranked 9th, Auburn 10th and Tennessee 12th in Div 1A based upon winning percentage. Oklahoma is the only Big 12 team to crack the top 10 (Texas comes in at 11th).

So really what you're doing without even realizing it, is conceding that the SEC is traditionally much more dominant than the Big 12.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    So really what you're doing without even realizing it, is conceding that the SEC is traditionally much more dominant than the Big 12.
    I never said tradition wise they weren't I said they had a nice setup where they can cram as many of the good teams into the top 25 as possible because they don't face everyone else and that there is a glass ceiling in the Big 12 because they do play everyone. You get 6 teams at 6-2 and better almost every year and one of my biggest complaints about the Big 12. The Big 12 has only been around since the 90s. If you wanted to include the SWC/Big 8 history with schools no longer there (Nebraska, Colorado, SMU, Arkansas, etc) you might be able to make an interesting discussion.

But in its current form its Texas, Oklahoma, with KState and OK State nipping at the heels the last few years. What happens to KState when Snyder retires? Texas and Oklahoma cannot compare with what Alabama has done recently and what Florida did with Spurrier and Meyer. Can WVU and TCU get back to where they were after both struggled in their first year as Big 12 members.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

part of BBN

As a UK fan, I like this :

SEC football coaches voted 13-1 to keep the conference schedule at 8 games.

That's nice, but if the conference really wants 9 games the coaches won't have a say, nor should they.
    Go Gators!

Gordon Gee opens mouth, inserts foot.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/apnewsb...7789--spt.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I was wrong
    Chip is right

Les Miles went to a Big 10 school.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

If Gee had made those comments about certain religious or ethnic groups he would be fired.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Simply put, the greatest rebuttal ever from Drew Franklin at Kentucky Sports Radio:

Dear Dr. Gee,

Some comments you made regarding the University of Kentucky and our SEC brethren were brought to our attention today in a report from the Associated Press. According to a recording obtained by the AP, you said the Big Ten will never consider adding Kentucky because the conference values academic integrity. ”You tell the SEC when they can learn to read and write, then they can figure out what we’re doing,” you said. You did. You said that.
    While I admire your commitment to academic achievement and understand the skepticism you have regarding the University of Kentucky’s academia, I encourage you to take any Big Ten invitation you may have, turn that sum-***** sideways, and stick it straight up your bow tie-wearing ass. You got that, Gordo?
    You see, down here in SEC country, we value things that you Big Tenners just can’t comprehend. We value excellence. We value seven consecutive BCS national championships. Seven. We value three of the last four Heisman trophy winners. We value paying for our tattoos, not bartering for ink with autographed jerseys and bowl rings. We value bowl eligibility. We value not tailgating in Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska. We value The Grove. We really, really, really value The Grove.
    In the SEC, we value speed and athleticism on the football field. We value scoring more than 50 points in basketball. We value Senior Night, and not cutting down the nets when we lose. We value the Sweet 16, but strive to get past it. We value the first three rounds of the NFL draft, and the first pick in the NBA. We value SEC basketball games at Auburn. (We don’t really value basketball games at Auburn.)
    We value the Tennessee Volunteers, the Georgia Bulldogs and Marshall Henderson’s drug problem. We value Alabama football, Kentucky basketball and Steve Spurrier being Steve Spurrier. We value the Vanderbilt Commodores, because they’re going pro in something other than sports. We value Arkansas and its volleyball program. We value motorcycles.
    We value Diet Dr. Pepper. We value Golden Flake potato chips. We value Texas Pete hot sauce with a Sunkist chaser. We value Barry Booker, Dave Baker and pretending to know what the hell Jimmy Dykes is talking about. We value counting to 14 and knowing it’s more than 10. We value not calling ourselves Legends or Leaders. We value our youth. We don’t shower with them. We value Penn State Jokes.
    We value the finest collection of women the world has ever seen. We value sundresses in the spring and summer. And in the fall. And in the winter. We value Purdue being full of dudes and Wisconsin being jealous. We value your corn, and make our bourbon with it.
    We value being better than the Big 10. We value how much you value Christian Watford’s shot and the pass interference call in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl. We value Jadeveon Clowney and the remains of Vincent Smith he left behind. We value Nick Saban’s deal with the devil and John Calipari’s approach to the one-and-done. We value Urban Meyer, circa 2008. We value excellence. I said that? I’ll say it again. We value excellence.
    My point is, Dr. Gee, you can keep your Big Ten and its academic integrity. Us illiterate folk are doing just fine down here in the south.

Sincerely,
    Big Blue Nation, on behalf of the SEC

P.S.
    Good luck with those damn Catholics.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

12. Likes:

Sea Ray (06-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Les Miles went to a Big 10 school.
    And had two opportunities to go back to coach there and didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

What do OSU fans think about Gordon Gee?

Notre Dame has been a problem for college sports for years. Had they not used the Big East, and joined as a full member years ago, conferences would look much different today.

SEC allowing oversigning is a joke. It hurts student athletes and makes a mockery of academics.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Notre Dame has been a problem for college sports for years. Had they not used the Big East, and joined as a full member years ago, conferences would look much different today.

SEC allowing oversigning is a joke. It hurts student athletes and makes a mockery of academics.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

SEC teams can only sign 25 players with restrictive exceptions in the event a previous signing class was not filled.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?