Turn Off Ads?
Page 62 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Nah, you're missing the point. Cal is 'clean' in the NCAA's eyes, but not the eye test. In fact, I love Cal and I root for Kentucky even though I'm a UC fan. I don't believe he's doing anything different than what other coaches are doing (recruiting-wise anyway).
    I just think he plays the 'game' better.

With that said, the dude is shady. Those players at Kentucky aren't just getting a free education. ANd neither are they at IU or Ohio State or. . . etc. Cal is just really good at what he does.
    Isn't it then unfair to single out Cal at all because you are saying more or less that other/all coaches are doing it too?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Florida assistant Tim Davis calls Saban "the devil himself"

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...tant-tim-davis
    These guys need to get with the times, anything they say to a bunch of boosters is no longer off the record.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    By definition every conference has to have bottomfeeders but the SEC bottom is better than any other. Have you checked the recruits from a few months ago? Ole Miss was #10 in the country snagging 4 top 100 players, the same number as Mich and Ohio St.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2013

Most conferences would beg for such a bottomfeeder
    Before last year when they got somewhat lucky what did Notre Dame do with all their top 10 recruiting classes?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Before last year when they got somewhat lucky what did Notre Dame do with all their top 10 recruiting classes?
    Fine. Throw out last year. Any conference would kill to be so strong that Notre Dame would be considered one of its weaklings. Your example makes my point beautifully

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Fine. Throw out last year. Any conference would kill to be so strong that Notre Dame would be considered one of its weaklings. Your example makes my point beautifully
    My point is certain schools are given "benefit of the doubt". I've lost track of the number of times that WVU will get a recruit and he automatically losses a star, meanwhile they take a look at a guy being looked at by (Insert SEC/ND/USC/etc school) and automatically gains a star because they must know something the rest of us dont. Recruiting and stars is a stupid way to judge strength.

In the SEC how many of the "big dogs" actually play? Look at the bottom of the SEC its garbage elevated because they have SEC on their helmets. The SEC has a pretty good setup with as many teams as they have, they're almost guaranteed at least 2 teams go at least 7-1 in conference because the big 5ish don't play everyone else, meanwhile the Big 12 you can only get 1 team undefeated, 1 team with 1 loss (if everything holds serve). Its why you see so many teams so high.

The Big 12 is foolish IMO by not expanding to at least 12 last year. Its becoming more and more about getting as many high ranked teams as possible and you are limited in how many you can get by playing everyone else.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Actually, if there are 2 undefeated teams in the SEC, they'll play each other in the SEC Championship game. And one of them will no longer be undefeated.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

My point is certain schools are given "benefit of the doubt". I've lost track of the number of times that WVU will get a recruit and he automatically losses a star, meanwhile they take a look at a guy being looked at by (Insert SEC/ND/USC/etc school) and automatically gains a star because they must know something the rest of us dont. Recruiting and stars is a stupid way to judge strength.

In the SEC how many of the "big dogs" actually play? Look at the bottom of the SEC its garbage elevated because they have SEC on their helmets. The SEC has a pretty good setup with as many teams as they have, they're almost guaranteed at least 2 teams go at least 7-1 in conference because the big 5ish don't play everyone else, meanwhile the Big 12 you can only get 1 team undefeated, 1 team with 1 loss (if everything holds serve). Its why you see so many teams so high.

The Big 12 is foolish IMO by not expanding to at least 12 last year. Its becoming more and more about getting as many high ranked teams as possible and you are limited in how many you can get by playing everyone else.
    Who is the perennial garbage that at the bottom of the SEC used as food for SEC elite? I just want to make sure we're discussing the same thing.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    These guys need to get with the times, anything they say to a bunch of boosters is no longer off the record.
    I like it, personally. They're just saying what everyone else already thinks.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Actually, if there are 2 undefeated teams in the SEC, they'll play each other in the SEC Championship game. And one of them will no longer be undefeated.
    I said 7-1. This past year SEC had 3 teams at 7-1 and 6 at 6-2 or better. That leads to a cramming of the higher levels fo the top 25, meanwhile the Big can't approach those kind of numbers unless you get a ridiculous amount of stupid stuff to happen.

As for garbage:
    Lets start with the blue clad wildcats. When was the last time Kentucky matter? Hal Mumme and Tim Couch?

Auburn outside of 1 year with Cam Newton and probation when have they really mattered? By matter I mean threaten the cream of the SEC (Bama, Fla)

Vanderbilt spikes but most years theyre closer to the bottom than the top.

The M's Missouri, Mississippi, and Miss State.

Thats almost half the league right there. Whether aTm stays at the top or sinks back will be seen.

William Arthur Ward

I said 7-1. This past year SEC had 3 teams at 7-1 and 6 at 6-2 or better. That leads to a cramming of the higher levels fo the top 25, meanwhile the Big can't approach those kind of numbers unless you get a ridiculous amount of stupid stuff to happen.

As for garbage:
    Lets start with the blue clad wildcats. When was the last time Kentucky matter? Hal Mumme and Tim Couch?

Auburn outside of 1 year with Cam Newton and probation when have they really mattered? By matter I mean threaten the cream of the SEC (Bama, Fla)

Vanderbilt spikes but most years theyre closer to the bottom than the top.

The M's Missouri, Mississippi, and Miss State.

Thats almost half the league right there. Whether aTm stays at the top or sinks back will be seen.
    Alright, I think it's safe to assume you just don't know very much about the SEC.

Since 1982 (i.e. modern SEC footaball post Bear Bryant-trust me this isn't an arbitrary demarcation in SEC thinking), Auburn has won 6 SEC championships and Bama has won 5 (Florida has won 8; LSU has won 6, Tennessee has won 4). Auburn has had 3 undefeated seasons since a true SEC championship game was organized with the inclusion of Arkansas and South Carolina into the SEC while Alabama has had just 2 undefeated seasons. Auburn has a 16-14 record head to head against Bama since Bear retired (11-10 since the championship game era). Since 1992, Bama has vacated 29 wins. Auburn has vacated 0. Since 1982, of SEC teams, only Florida and Georgia have better winning percentages than Auburn.

So outside of 1 year with Cam Newton and probation when has Auburn really mattered, i.e threatened the "cream" of the SEC (Bama, Fla)? A better question is when hasn't Auburn been a consistent threat.... Auburn rightfully is considered the "creme" of the modern SEC, e.g. Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU, and Tennesse.

BTW, Auburn football hasn't had a major sanction in over 20 years.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

UK beat LSU the season they won the national championship and demolished OSU.

I forgot about 2004. But of those 6 the other 4 were even before they went on probation! So you want to talk about a team that has had 2 spike years in 20 as creme of the crop? Go ahead. Was garbage too strong a term? Definately but to say they are in the same conversation as Florida and Bama in the last 20 years is a joke.

William Arthur Ward

I forgot about 2004. But of those 6 the other 4 were even before they went on probation! So you want to talk about a team that has had 2 championships in 20 as creme of the crop? Go ahead. Was garbage too strong a term? Definately.

William Arthur Ward

I forgot about 2004. But of those 6 the other 4 were even before they went on probation! So you want to talk about a team that has had 2 spike years in 20 as creme of the crop? Go ahead. Was garbage too strong a term? Definately but to say they are in the same conversation as Florida and Bama in the last 20 years is a joke.
    It's a joke only if you refuse to accept facts and prefer a narrative that isn't rooted in objective reality. Seriously, you have to ignore way to much to proclaim what you're proclaiming. It's hurting your credibility concerning your view of the SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It's a joke only if you refuse to accept facts and prefer a narrative that isn't rooted in objective reality. Seriously, you have to ignore way to much to proclaim what you're proclaiming. It's hurting your credibility concerning your view of the SEC.
    Heres how I break it down:

TBD:
    Missouri
    Texas A&M

They're new to the game, the return on aTm is high right now. Can they build on it or return to where they were in the Big 12 which was usually toward the middle to upper middle of the conference.

*These are in no particular order*
    Creme:
    Florida
    Alabama
    LSU

Second Tier:
    Tennessee
    Auburn (I apologize doing some reading I thought they had a rougher go after the sanctions in the 90s *See Miami*)
    Georgia

Third Tier:
    South Carolina
    Arkansas

Both joined together in 91 and had some successes at various times.

Bottom:
    Vanderbilt
    Kentucky
    Ole Miss
    Miss State

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?