Turn Off Ads?
Page 59 of 67 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Interesting nuggets in the comments section of the ESPN spice story. Readers were slagging on the habit that ESPN seems to have for writing negative stories about Auburn especially given this one is such a brazen, thouroughly discredited hack job.

BTW, has anyone wondered why there was zero commment about Alabama football and spice in that article? Wouldn't how they dealt with the situation be useful context?

Anyway, Mark Schlabach, an ESPN columnist, responded but his answers might surprise some who consider ESPN trustworthy. ESPN has zero credibility when it comes to Auburn and Mark Schlabach pretty much admits it:

Quote Originally Posted by pace tiger;
    This is purely a hit job. this story could have been about any major college sports team, or just the drug in general, and ESPN decided to go after Auburn for doing not suspending players for a drug that was completely legal at the time. Is it dangerous? yes. so is football, but it was legal and as adults they made the decision to do it. I am sick of people complaining about how teams should babysit their players. If you are old enough to vote for the president and die in the army, you don't need someone telling you how to live your lifeless
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Schlabach;
    I understand your concern, pace tiger, but you have to understand that we have a responsibility to our sponsors to create interesting news stories for our audience.
    Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents2011;
    The problem is that ESPN then becomes Fox News. Remember "Obama is a muslim terrortist born in Kenya"....nevermind the fact that he is a Christian American born in Hawaii.
    Fox News is the #1 cable news network in America because they know their audience and they give them the news they want to hear
    Quote Originally Posted by ntense001;
    Just change the name of this article to "we really hate Auburn at ESPN and don't care if we have to write total garbage to prove it".
    There is a lot of money to be made by writing negative stories about Auburn (true or not). Our audience wants to read dirt on Auburn so we give them what they want. This is not NPR. ESPN is a business and we have to do what is best for our bottom line.
    http://espn.go.com/ncf/conversations...etic-pot-tests

In the interest of fairness, there is always the caveat that the real Mark Schlabach didn't post those responses. The shoe fits though.
    Last edited by jojo; 04-06-2013 at 04:51 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Interesting nuggets in the comments section of the ESPN spice story. Readers were slagging on the habit that ESPN seems to have for writing negative stories about Auburn especially given this one is such a brazen, thouroughly discredited hack job.

BTW, has anyone wondered why there was zero commment about Alabama football and spice in that article? Wouldn't how they dealt with the situation be useful context?

Anyway, Mark Schlabach, an ESPN columnist, responded but his answers might surprise some who consider ESPN trustworthy. ESPN has zero credibility when it comes to Auburn and Mark Schlabach pretty much admits it:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/conversations...etic-pot-tests

In the interest of fairness, there is always the caveat that the real Mark Schlabach didn't post those responses. The shoe fits though.
    It might be best if that post is seriously edited or even deleted. That way fools like me aren't almost to the end of it thinking that the real Mark S. is going to be fired for those horrible responses.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    It might be best if that post is seriously edited or even deleted. That way fools like me aren't almost to the end of it thinking that the real Mark S. is going to be fired for those horrible responses.
    Unless ESPN indicates otherwise, that's the real Mark Schlabach.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Unless ESPN indicates otherwise, that's the real Mark Schlabach.
    I read your last sentence as saying to be warned that the real Mark did not write those.

Perhaps there should have been a "might not have" in that sentence of yours. I read it as fact. That's where I was coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I read your last sentence as saying to be warned that the real Mark did not write those.

Perhaps there should have been a "might not have" in that sentence of yours. I read it as fact. That's where I was coming from.
    The more I think about it, it's harder and harder to believe that the real Mark wrote those.

The more I think about it, it's harder and harder to believe that the real Mark wrote those.
    Agreed.

http://www.oanow.com/news/article_5b...9bb30f31a.html

Former AU player McNeil withdraws not guilty plea, sentenced
    Looks like he'll get 3 year in the pen and three years probation....

Some guys just seem like they're headed for trouble. I'm still scratching my head over McNeil being involved in armed robbery-just didn't see that one coming.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/4/8/419...selena-roberts

10 claims made against Auburn football last week that don't look so solid right now

The timing on this is certainly odd, to say the least. An article gets published proclaiming his innocence then a week later, he's pleading guilty. Either he's a complete sham or there's something even worse going on here that I won't even discuss. Probably, he's just a total con man.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    The timing on this is certainly odd, to say the least. An article gets published proclaiming his innocence then a week later, he's pleading guilty. Either he's a complete sham or there's something even worse going on here that I won't even discuss. Probably, he's just a total con man.
    His buddy, Goodwin got 15 yrs and McNeil's defense wasn't any better given the facts the DA has to work with.... Basically he's vacillated between it was just a prank to its Auburn's fault.

I think he was naive and didnt think things through until after he was in the back of a cop car. But I'm left wondering if it was McNeil's lawyer who used Roberts or Roberts who used McNeil. Either way, Roberts has taken a big hit to her credibility.

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/...9bb30f31a.html

EYE ON THE TIGERS: Long list of holes in reports alleging Auburn of wrongdoing

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=22

Make a list and lets actually discuss specifics.... you can't come close to anything resembling a myriad by the way.

And there is absolutely nothing condescending about calling a spade a spade.
    The condescending part is your tone.

I'm pretty sure you're familiar with Selena Roberts' story and the claims of Stanley McClover. Won't even get into Cecil. Not sure how you counter former players' accusations, especially in unrelated stories, years apart. Surely, someone who makes arguments about others' logical consistency will shy away from using a hometown news story as your evidence.

The Auburn allegations were almost laughable. Pathetic, yet it still gives us a black eye in the way people perceive us. Whatever, let's get this Gus Bus rollin.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=22

The condescending part is your tone.

I'm pretty sure you're familiar with Selena Roberts' story and the claims of Stanley McClover. Won't even get into Cecil. Not sure how you counter former players' accusations, especially in unrelated stories, years apart. Surely, someone who makes arguments about others' logical consistency will shy away from using a hometown news story as your evidence.
    The former players themselves have countered Robert's story and her use of their quotes. Even McNeil will not corroborate her story on record and he was asked several times in the interim between her publishing the blog entry and his guilty plea for armed robbery.

Surely if you can name drop Roberts, you're very familiar with the strong backlash from those she attributed comments to. If not, just read this thread. Also equally as surely you're familiar with how the HBO story has been discredited. Seriously, it's like you've quit reading after the first paragraph of a story but are behaving like you've read the whole book. It's a bit puzzling for someone who is expression such a strongly held opinion.

The former players themselves have countered Robert's story and her use of their quotes. Even McNeil will not corroborate her story on record and he was asked several times in the interim between her publishing the blog entry and his guilty plea for armed robbery.

Surely if you can name drop Roberts, you're very familiar with the strong backlash from those she attributed comments to. If not, just read this thread. Also equally as surely you're familiar with how the HBO story has been discredited. Seriously, it's like you've quit reading after the first paragraph of a story but are behaving like you've read the whole book. It's a bit puzzling for someone who is expression such a strongly held opinion.
    I am in no way saying that Auburn is guilty. I am asking you to consider the situation objectively, and not be astonished and haughty each time someone suggests Auburn football has been less than clean. Questionable behavior is rampant in college athletics, and has been demonstrably so for decades. There are numerous independent reports (whether they be recanted or not) suggesting the Auburn program was unscrupulous. For most, this preponderance of evidence taken with the history of NCAA athletics leads to the likelihood of Auburn being dirty.

From the inside, you see the scrutiny as a witchhunt. From the outside, it looks like a trend, likely pointing to some sort of guilt. You and all Auburn fans are welcome to act indignantly and question this unwarranted criticism, but don't be surprised given recent history, especially considering the repeated reports emanating from Auburn, that when we see smoke, we think fire.

Turn Off Ads?