Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 53 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

SEC Football Discussion Thread

Post SEC football discussion here. I offer this thread as a pollution offset. This is the appropriate place to discuss the SEC.

Have fun in your echo chamber.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Great. What do you want to discuss? This isn't the forum to discuss easy Big Ten schedules. If your intent is to segregate these threads into Big Ten fans and non Big Ten fans, I'd argue that's not a good thing.

The LSU-MSU game last night had me scratching my head how the Bulldogs could have attained a national ranking (#25). Their QB was very shaky. The game didn't seem as close as the final score.

I welcome non SEC fans to weigh in.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Great. What do you want to discuss?
    Oversigning?

GL

http://www.ajc.com/sports/uga/over-s...ec-962416.html

The Southeastern Conference will consider legislation this week to address over-signing, the controversial recruiting action that Georgia football coach Mark Richt has called "an awful thing to do."

Enlarge photo Curtis Compton, ccompton@ajc.com On the issue of over-signing football recruits, UGA's Mark Richt says, "I think that's an awful thing to do; I think that's the wrong thing to do."

Over-signing is when a college signs more recruits than it has scholarships available. Schools that over-sign benefit from a steady supply of players ready to take roster spots vacated when recruits don't meet NCAA academic requirements, players suffer injuries, players have off-field issues or players transfer.

Colleges that over-sign run into problems when there isn't enough roster attrition, forcing coaches to ask recruits to delay enrollment, current players to take a medical hardship or players to leave the program.

The SEC, which has won five straight BCS championships, has a reputation for over-signing. An Alabama newspaper columnist wrote that "the SEC wouldn't be 5-for-5 if it weren't for over-signing." It allows coaches to tinker with college rosters as if they were operating with an NFL waiver wire.

Over-signing appears to be the hot-button issue for SEC school presidents, athletic directors and coaches who attend the conference's annual spring meetings, which begin Tuesday in Destin, Fla.

SEC commissioner Mike Slive will introduce a legislation package this week to address over-signing.

"There will be action because [the proposals] will come forth as proposed legislation for the presidents, the ADs and the other groups to opine on, but I feel good about them," Slive told The Macon Telegraph.

"So I think the goal is to make sure that our prospective student-athletes are treated in a way that is as they should be treated, like students are treated. And I think this package does that."

Slive hasn't revealed the specifics of the proposed measures, but has thrown his political weight behind it. He also told the Telegraph that it goes beyond over-signing, addressing what he calls roster management.

“In other words, it’s more than just the question of over-signing or grayshirting,” Slive said. “It’s a question of over-signing, grayshirting, early admissions, summer school admission. We’ve put together what we call a bit of a package to address these issues, that will give our people a chance to think about these issues in a more global fashion."

It's unclear how much support the legislation has entering the SEC meetings. In an unofficial survey by ESPN, SEC football coaches were 8-4 in favor of not drastically changing the rules.

South Carolina's Steve Spurrier has said the Gamecocks must over-sign because of his state's poor academic record, and Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt remains a staunch supporter of this recruiting method. Nutt impulsively signed 37 recruits in 2009, leading to SEC and NCAA legislation capping the limit at 28.

Alabama's Nick Saban is concerned about future restrictions in the SEC, telling ESPN, "In my opinion, it would really affect the quality in our league."

On the opposite side of this issue is Florida president Bernie Machen, who has called over-signing and related matters "morally reprehensible."
    Richt sounded off on the topic at a booster club meeting last month in Greenville, S.C.

“If you bring them in in the summer, and you work them and you let your strength staff work with them, and you kind of decide which ones you like best, and you tell five of them, ‘Hey, we know we signed you and we expected you to be able to come in; we don’t have the space for you, we’re really sorry about that but we don’t have space for you -- you’re gonna have to leave and come back in January.

"I think that’s an awful thing to do; I think that’s the wrong thing to do. And it’s nothing that we’ve done since I’ve been at Georgia."

However, Richt admitted he uses the method of "grayshirts" with roster management, as long as the recruit is informed in advance of the situation. With a grayshirt, a player signs in February, but does not enroll in the summer with his teammates. He delays entry until January and counts against the team’s scholarship total for the following year.

Georgia Tech's Paul Johnson is also outspoken against over-signing.

“We just don’t do it," Johnson said. "It makes it hard sometimes to hit your target number, but it is what it is. I don’t see how you can do that to kids, weed out guys for whatever reasons. No matter what anybody says, if you’re over-signing, some of that has to happen on occasion.”

Johnson said colleges that over-sign have a competitive advantage. “Sure they do," he said. "It’s just like you take 25 kids every year and then cut the ones you don’t want."

Over-signing was one of the main reasons Georgia Tech left the SEC as a member school in 1964.
    Last edited by gonelong; 09-16-2011 at 01:37 PM.

That game last night was a snoozer. Hard hitting defense with inept offense. I don't see how LSU can continue to win games with Lee at QB.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Have fun in your echo chamber.
    Gotta have a place to discuss God's Conference.

Have fun in the Ineligi-Bowl on Saturday night.

That game last night was a snoozer. Hard hitting defense with inept offense. I don't see how LSU can continue to win games with Lee at QB.
    The real test for LSU will be Saturday after next in Morgantown against WVU. It will be a test for both teams:

LSU: Can they pass a non-conference test on the road without their top QB before they hit the gauntlet in SEC play?

WVU: Can the Mountaineers show they belong in not just BCS discussion, but if they beat Maryland and a pretty weak Big East conference schedule coming up, in national championship discussion? (Yes, you read that correctly)
    Last edited by WVRed; 09-16-2011 at 11:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The real test for LSU will be Saturday after next in Morgantown against WVU. It will be a test for both teams:

LSU: Can they pass a non-conference test on the road without their top QB before they hit the gauntlet in SEC play?

WVU: Can the Mountaineers show they belong in not just BCS discussion, but if they beat Maryland and a pretty weak Big East conference schedule coming up, in national championship discussion? (Yes, you read that correctly)
    LSU's defense is legitimately scary and probably the best in the country. People often talk about team speed but their young defensive end ran down Oregon's James from behind. Ouch. Their offense is probably better without Jefferson. But their offense isn't very good. It doesn't need to be though.

I think LSU wins this one.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I don't think there's any question that there's a lot of oversigning that goes on in the SEC. That might be a reason why the SEC is so superior to the Big Ten on the field and makes 'em look like they've got lead in their cleats. Who knows? That's as good a guess as any.

If you have any more ideas on why the Big Ten is so inferior in football, please do post 'em. That'd be fun...

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't think there's any question that there's a lot of oversigning that goes on in the SEC. That might be a reason why the SEC is so superior to the Big Ten on the field and makes 'em look like they've got lead in their cleats. Who knows? That's as good a guess as any.
    Yes, signing 20+ more players over a 4-5 year period is a gigantic advantage given their recruiting area and program status. At least 2-3 starters worth, and probably 2-3 players for depth. A *huge* advantage.

The SEC will come back to the pack when the over signing issue picks up a bit more steam, and it will. It will probably take a few more years, but it will happen. Even the coaches, the ones benefiting from the practice, realize how despicable the practice is.

It will be more difficult to drive players off the team, offer them "medical" scholarships, etc. as the practices are becoming more well know by both the media and the general public.

The irony is that the SECs current success and popularity will likely be the impetus for the media to turn against them. They just love to build them up and then knock them down.

If you have any more ideas on why the Big Ten is so inferior in football, please do post 'em. That'd be fun...
    Charming.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Yes, signing 20+ more players over a 4-5 year period is a gigantic advantage given their recruiting area and program status. At least 2-3 starters worth, and probably 2-3 players for depth. A *huge* advantage.

The SEC will come back to the pack when the over signing issue picks up a bit more steam, and it will. It will probably take a few more years, but it will happen. Even the coaches, the ones benefiting from the practice, realize how despicable the practice is.

It will be more difficult to drive players off the team, offer them "medical" scholarships, etc. as the practices are becoming more well know by both the media and the general public.

The irony is that the SECs current success and popularity will likely be the impetus for the media to turn against them. They just love to build them up and then knock them down.

GL
    Regardless, the SEC is bound to come back to the pack. This kind of sucess is unprecedented. All these championships from one conference spread out over several different schools.

How about either actually discussing the SEC or changing the thread titlt to "SEC Football Bashing Thread" because the current thread as it's going is in particularly bad taste...
    Last edited by jojo; 09-17-2011 at 09:50 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

No Vanderbilt football player has ever played in 2 bowl games. Ever.

My prediction: that will be untrue by the time this year's freshmen graduate. And I'm a pessimist. God, how I love watching them win conference games, I don't care who it's against.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    No Vanderbilt football player has ever played in 2 bowl games. Ever.

My prediction: that will be untrue by the time this year's freshmen graduate. And I'm a pessimist. God, how I love watching them win conference games, I don't care who it's against.
    Vandy is an awesome place. I don't think they'll ever spend what their competition does on their program but its hard to root against them.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Vandy is an awesome place. I don't think they'll ever spend what their competition does on their program but its hard to root against them.
    The SI article said it best, and I'm paraphrasing, "it's like playing in the same division as the Yankees and Red Sox with the history of the Cubs, the fan support of the Rays, and the resources of the Royals."

If Franklin could somehow get them to 8-4 sometime in the next 4-5 years... Well... Then you start thinking anything is possible.

I know this: they have a long way to go. This year, next year and as long as they play varsity football. But today somehow felt different.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    The SI article said it best, and I'm paraphrasing, "it's like playing in the same division as the Yankees and Red Sox with the history of the Cubs, the fan support of the Rays, and the resources of the Royals."

If Franklin could somehow get them to 8-4 sometime in the next 4-5 years... Well... Then you start thinking anything is possible.

I know this: they have a long way to go. This year, next year and as long as they play varsity football. But today somehow felt different.
    They dominated Ole Miss. I hope Houstan Nutt has asbestos underwear...

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    They dominated Ole Miss. I hope Houstan Nutt has asbestos underwear...
    Still better than Coach O.

Turn Off Ads?