Turn Off Ads?
Page 44 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

This is a really good hire for Auburn.

If Gus hired Ellis Johnson as his DC, I'd squeal like a school girl.
    Last edited by jojo; 12-04-2012 at 05:36 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Bret Bielema last winter: "We at the Big Ten don’t want to be like the SEC—in any way, shape or form.”
    I'd say Urban Meyer coming to the Big 10+4 changed all of that. His calling out of Meyer's oversigning players plus seeing the success of Meyer's first year in Columbus (plus Brady Hoke at Michigan) basically puts those two at the top of the conference.

That being said, strange hire. I don't see a Big Ten coach coming to the SEC and having success. It worked the other way around with Meyer going to the B10, but Arkansas fans are going to be sorely disappointed with a boring offense.

Barry Alvarez came out yesterday and said that he was shocked Bielema left and is considering coaching in the Rose Bowl himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    That being said, strange hire. I don't see a Big Ten coach coming to the SEC and having success. It worked the other way around with Meyer going to the B10, but Arkansas fans are going to be sorely disappointed with a boring offense.

Barry Alvarez came out yesterday and said that he was shocked Bielema left and is considering coaching in the Rose Bowl himself.
    It worked out fine for Nick Saban. I'm amazed that a guy would find Arkansas that much of a better job than Wisconsin. Wisconsin is one of the top programs in the Big Ten. The same cannot be said about ARK in the SEC. I guess it goes to show what a great football conference the SEC is

Reports are that both Gundy and Strong have turned down offers from UT. Is UT not as big a job as they think? This could be the second straight coaching search where they succeeded only in getting multiple coaches raises at their current school.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Reports are that both Gundy and Strong have turned down offers from UT. Is UT not as big a job as they think? This could be the second straight coaching search where they succeeded only in getting multiple coaches raises at their current school.
    Gundy may have the best donor in College Sports helping his program. UL going into the ACC I would imagine has a lot to do with Strong staying at UL.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Gundy may have the best donor in College Sports helping his program. UL going into the ACC I would imagine has a lot to do with Strong staying at UL.
    That and a big fat raise.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Charlie knows that if he goes to UT he'll be exposed for the mediocre coach that he is...

He can stay at Little Brother, dominate the big easy next season, move to the mediocre at best ACC, win 6-8 games a year and never feel a lick of pressure.

He's looking for a new job in 3 years if he goes to UT.

I'm glad he's staying at UL. I've heard from numerous people that Jurich already had the plan in place to bring in Petrino if Strong left.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Charlie knows that if he goes to UT he'll be exposed for the mediocre coach that he is...

He can stay at Little Brother, dominate the big easy next season, move to the mediocre at best ACC, win 6-8 games a year and never feel a lick of pressure.

He's looking for a new job in 3 years if he goes to UT.

I'm glad he's staying at UL. I've heard from numerous people that Jurich already had the plan in place to bring in Petrino if Strong left.
    This is how I know Strong is doing a good job. UK fans that rejoiced when they guaranteed he was leaving for Ark, then Auburn, then Tennessee sound pretty foolish when they now claim he is an awful coach. Hope you have fun in the Music City Bowl with Stoops!
    Last edited by joshnky; 12-05-2012 at 01:07 PM.

This is how I know Strong is doing a good job. UK fans that rejoiced when they guaranteed he was leaving for Ark, then Auburn, then Tennessee sound pretty foolish when they now claim he is an awful coach.
    Not awful. Just terribly mediocre. He's a sub-.500 big easy coach without Teddy Heisman and would have lost 3-4 more games this season against just turrible competition without Bridgewater's heroics.

Can Hurtt buy him another QB? Doubtful. That hand has been played.

Just thank God UL isn't getting Petrino back...

Hope you have fun in the Music City Bowl with Stoops!
    Enjoy getting curbstomped by the Gators in a bowl your mediocre team has no business playing in!!
    Last edited by WMR; 12-05-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Not awful. Just terribly mediocre. He's a sub-.500 big easy coach without Teddy Heisman and would have lost 3-4 more games this season against just turrible competition without Bridgewater's heroics.

Can Hurtt buy him another QB? Doubtful. That hand has been played.

Just thank God UL isn't getting Petrino back...

Enjoy getting curbstomped by the Gators in a bowl your mediocre team has no business playing in!!
    I agree that strong is a little overrated as a coach. Great recruiter but the team definately underachieved this season. Next year will be a big one for him. Fans will be expecting a top ten finish and if we're still in the big east anything less than 11-1 will be a disappointment. And that one loss better not be to uconn.

That's the funny thing about Petrino. Most fans don't want him as their coach but they also don't want him at their rival.

I agree that strong is a little overrated as a coach. Great recruiter but the team definately underachieved this season. Next year will be a big one for him. Fans will be expecting a top ten finish and if we're still in the big east anything less than 11-1 will be a disappointment. And that one loss better not be to uconn.

That's the funny thing about Petrino. Most fans don't want him as their coach but they also don't want him at their rival.
    UL should really go undefeated next season. Not expecting much out of Stoops for the first season... Teddy Heisman will have a real shot if they lay the wood to people like they should.

I wanted Petrino AND I didn't want him at UL.

FWIW, I think Charlie Strong is a pretty darn good coach. He has completely turned around a cardinal program that had atrophied.

Ellis Johnson apparently rebuffed Jimbo and FSU in favor of Auburn and wht will surely be a hyper-aggressive defensive attack.

Next fish up? Time to reel in Tracey Rocker from the Titans for DL coach. I think auburn is actually going to add to their recruiting class rather than bleed a few commits.....

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    FWIW, I think Charlie Strong is a pretty darn good coach. He has completely turned around a cardinal program that had atrophied.
    Except for that beatdown by Syracuse (!!!) and losing to a pathetic UCONN team with a BCS game on the line, yep, COMPLETELY turned around.

The hiring process at UT is making Colorado look downright professional.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?