Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

What's really interesting in that story is the following quote:
    What will do you do this fall?
    “He said I’m going to stay in Georgia. They are going to find me a job. I’m going to work. I’m going to physical therapy at least seven days per week. I guess I will work, go to physical therapy and get strong … I will come in with the class of 2013. I’ll get there with the early group so I can do winter workouts and spring football.”
    BTW, the kid had a knee injury his senior year and isn't likely gong to be ready in the fall. He also still wants to go to Alabama.

Personally, I'd go somewhere else-- like Western Kentucky University. I've heard that campus is beautiful and you could start the first day you arrived!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    What's really interesting in that story is the following quote:

BTW, the kid had a knee injury his senior year and isn't likely gong to be ready in the fall. He also still wants to go to Alabama.

Personally, I'd go somewhere else-- like Western Kentucky University. I've heard that campus is beautiful and you could start the first day you arrived!
    His HS coach probably needs a lesson in being an advocate too....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Posted more for amusement than anything else (i.e. take this for what it's worth which probably isn't much)...

http://neworleansrising.wordpress.co...-why-lsu-lost/
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    You mean big-time college coaches don't tell recruits the whole truth?
    This is particularly cutthroat though....

Not sure where else to put this so I'll post it here. Interesting look at the way the media covers college football. Joe Schad is a joke.

http://deadspin.com/5855433/am-i-sic...ld-2010-season

I’m going to physical therapy at least seven days per week.
    Just how many days do they have in a week down there?

When all is said and done more is said than done.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...shows-up-Saban

For years, Saban has treated college football like a cutthroat business. He's skirted recruiting rules, danced around scholarship limitations and been surrounded by more career ending injuries to third-string players than any coach in the history of organized athletics.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Good for Auburn. I think it is the right thing to do. Many in the B1G went that route as well

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...r-scholarships
    Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Illinois confirmed to ESPN.com that they have given out four-year scholarships to this class. Ohio State and Nebraska also confirmed on signing day that they are giving out scholarships that no longer have to be renewed annually. Purdue, Indiana and Minnesota are still awarding one-year renewable grants.

GL

NL Central champs

I don't know all the details of what happened with Philon but, Auburn isn't exactly innocent either.

http://www2.oanow.com/m/blogs/aublog...rs-ar-1931873/

A perusal of Rivals.com's signee reports from the past decade shows that five SEC teams have signed an average of more than 25 players a year.

And guess who's in the lead? Auburn, at 27.5 signees a year. Followed by South Carolina (27.4), Mississippi State (26.9), Arkansas (26.7) and Ole Miss (26.3).

Here's that info in list form, if you're partial to that:

1. Auburn -- 27.5
    2. South Carolina -- 27.4
    3. Mississippi State -- 26.9
    4. Arkansas -- 26.7
    5. Ole Miss -- 26.3
    League Average -- 25.03
    6. Alabama -- 24.9
    7. Kentucky -- 24.7
    8. LSU -- 24.5
    9. Tennessee -- 24.4
    10. Georgia -- 23.2
    11. Florida -- 22.7
    12. Vanderbilt -- 21.1

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    I don't know all the details of what happened with Philon but, Auburn isn't exactly innocent either.

http://www2.oanow.com/m/blogs/aublog...rs-ar-1931873/
    If you read further, you'll also see that Auburn had roster spots to fill...that's not over signing in the sense you're arguing "guilt"....

Saban broke his promise to Philon because Saban signed too many players.

NL Central champs

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    If you read further, you'll also see that Auburn had roster spots to fill...that's not over signing in the sense you're arguing "guilt"....

Saban broke his promise to Philon because Saban signed too many players.
    There is a reason why Auburn has to fill more spots than every other school in the SEC, mostly disciplinary issues. The first article you posted by Josh Moon seemed to indicate that Auburn far exceeds Alabama in class, but they can't seem to retain players. Alabama retains 12% more players than Auburn yet Alabama is the one that makes up injuries to third string players?

As for the Darius Philon story, there are sources that say he was informed about the possibility of a grayshirt as early as December. You are only going to get one side of the story on this, Saban has never been a guy to argue with the media and I doubt he is going to start now. What is Saban supposed to do right now if Philon is lying about the timing of the grayshirt? He would probably be better off just letting it go than calling Philon out on it.

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    There is a reason why Auburn has to fill more spots than every other school in the SEC, mostly disciplinary issues. The first article you posted by Josh Moon seemed to indicate that Auburn far exceeds Alabama in class, but they can't seem to retain players. Alabama retains 12% more players than Auburn yet Alabama is the one that makes up injuries to third string players?

As for the Darius Philon story, there are sources that say he was informed about the possibility of a grayshirt as early as December. You are only going to get one side of the story on this, Saban has never been a guy to argue with the media and I doubt he is going to start now. What is Saban supposed to do right now if Philon is lying about the timing of the grayshirt? He would probably be better off just letting it go than calling Philon out on it.
    The fact that Saban even suggested grey shirting is the end of the story...no other side is needed. Clearly Saban is violating the spirit of the rules and he isn't erroring on the side of the kids. Saban's defense is that he told Philon that he might need to "greyshirt"? Philon isnt exactly a sophisticated kid by the way. Saban also told him to not go on any other official visits after Philon committed to Bama.

The first article compares the Saban era with the Chizik era. Also, the NCAA just investigated Auburn for 13 months and completly exonerated their program. That's not to say Bama is dirty, but we know Chizik is not. Also what do you think the odds are that Saban would suspend his best player and essentially dismiss him from the team for a violation of team rules? There are alot of reasons for Auburn fans to be proud of how Chizik and company conduct their business..it looks like Auburn is doing it the right way.

The retention data you're quoting spans a decade. Clearly Tuberville had some issues especially leading up to his demise. This year Auburn had to give significant playing time to 20+ freshman because tuberville's last few recruiting classes were essentially missing. But if you want historical context too, in the last 18 years, Bama has only been OFF of probation roughly a year and a couple of months. Since the 90's, Bama has had to forfeit or vacate 29 wins. That's 29 compared to 0 for Auburn.

This is definately a guy that Bama needs to "watch out" for.... He makes money on the players and seems to thrive on the cheaply bought nobility he gets from the association... He's exactly the type of booster that causes the special benefits problems and a letter from Bama really isn't going to be enough to brush it under the rug if he gets caught doing something... they've been on probation too much and the NCAA has been ramping up their punishments.

The guy seems like a shyster all around:
    http://chrisleckness.com/2012/01/21/...-my-son-and-i/

Turn Off Ads?