Turn Off Ads?
Page 38 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    I can't even poke fun at the Ducks. That was a great game.

It would very sad if we lost too Auburn now.
    Auburn would have to become something it has not been this season for that to happen.

You can't go from lack of desire/undisciplined/easy route to passionate by flipping on a switch. It requires a cultural enema and time for habitualization.

Auburn would've been an underdog in Tuscaloosa this year regardless. Given the fractured culture in the Tiger practice facility, I'd say the Civil War is more likely to influence the National Championship than the Iron Bowl. Alabama's problems reside with Georgia.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dooley out at UT. The courtship of John Gruden is well under way, I'm sure.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

On another note, Dooley is the second SEC coach to get fired. It's likely that three of the 5 SEC coaches to lose to Vandy will get fired. Missouri gets a mulligan for obvious reasons and Ole Miss was so far down that game is never counted as a should be win.

Losing to Vandy is a bellwether.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    On another note, Dooley is the second SEC coach to get fired. It's likely that three of the 5 SEC coaches to lose to Vandy will get fired. Missouri gets a mulligan for obvious reasons and Ole Miss was so far down that game is never counted as a should be win.

Losing to Vandy is a bellwether.
    Vandy isn't the same Vandy they use to be.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Vandy isn't the same Vandy they use to be.
    They still are not good. Tennessee has no business losing to them especially like last night. There is no excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    They still are not good. Tennessee has no business losing to them especially like last night. There is no excuse.
    No SEC team should ever lose to Vanderbilt...

Except...

That was true at Vanderbilt for generations, a football program found more ways to lose football games than seemed humanly possible. It was southern gothic brought to the gridiron, so painful it hurt for Commodore fans to watch. Every Vanderbilt football game was a choose your own adventure book that ended in dreadful defeat, death or dismemberment.

Sometimes all three.

Vanderbilt's football past was inescapable, bleak, and dark.

It was not a place anyone ever wanted to go.

But then James Franklin arrived at Vanderbilt.

And James Franklin did something interesting and cocky as hell, he didn't give a damn about the past.

What's more he flat out didn't care about the past at Vanderbilt and he said so in public. In fact, he refused to talk about Vandy's past at all. Ask Franklin about anything that happened before his arrival in Nashville and he immediately brushed it off, "That was before I was here," he'd say, "I can't control any of that."

Which is the exact same mantra espoused by one of the most underrated athletic directors in the country, Vanderbilt's David Williams, who when asked about past futility that he wasn't in charge of, shrugged his shoulders and said, simply, "What am I supposed to do about that?"

It's a simple mantra, but an effective one.

Control what you can control.

So for nearly two years Franklin's said the same thing in response to any question about the past, giving William Faulkner's Southern ghost a stiff arm, tossing the old demons of Vanderbilt's past into the dustbins of history, he said the past flat out didn't matter.

And on Saturday he was right, the past didn't matter at all.

Vanderbilt dominated the Vols.

But more impressive than that, Vanderbilt expected to dominate the Vols.
    http://outkickthecoverage.com/vandy-...tennessee-.php

I especially liked this move:

Also, the Les Miles post game presser yesterday was awesome (as usual). I won't link it here due to some language, but it's great. Love that guy.

I think Dooley will be hired by Saban but not at the cost of firing someone already on his staff. maybe if somebody goes to the NFL or gets offered a HCing job elsewhere. There is a huge difference in being an assistant coach and a head coach. As an assistant, it is easy to believe you have all the answers,, but the game is completely different when you are on top and having to make the tough calls. Dooley was not ready for taking on this position. He's going to have to pay his dues somewhere like Bowling Green or Utah State.

Right now I bet the Pac 12, ACC, and the Big 12 wish they wouldn't have fought a playoff system.
    Last edited by 19braves77; 11-18-2012 at 04:22 PM.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Hugh Freeze has squeezed everything out of what little talent he was given.Ole Miss has played the SEC elite tough this year.Took it LSU last Sat.night,but came out on the losing end of what was a very winnable game.He get's him some defense next year,and will most likely win the hands down #1 overal pick in the country in Defensive End Robert Kimdichi,who's brother is a Rebel.
    They will be dangerous.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

Kirby Smart turned to HC job at Kentucky.

Alabama 45 Auburn 3

FSU 31 Florida 20

USC 38 Notre Dame 35

Oregon 41 Oregon State 28

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Does he order his OC to run repeatedly into 8 man fronts to prove his team is tough?

Florida is going to be putrid this year, I'm thinking their only SEC win will be Kentucky, and I'm not even sure about that, they have talent but I think most of the team has already tuned the coach out, sure hope I'm wrong.
    Well this guy doesn't know anything.

Nice to see the awesome ACC shown for what it is.
    Go Gators!

Chizik has officially been let go by Auburn. The search committee for his replacement includes Bo Jackson, Pat Sullivan, Mac Crawford, and the AD jay Jacobs. My guess is that Auburn will have a new hire by D-Day and it will be a newsworthy name.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m...112512aac.html
    Last edited by jojo; 11-25-2012 at 05:11 PM.

I liked Chizik. Already rumors floating that UCF or Southern Mississippi would be interested in him.

Auburn is probably going to steal a coach away from a successful school like Chris Peterson at Boise or even Frankilin at Vandy.

Hearing Tennessee is interested in Oregon State's Mike Riley. He turned down the Alabama job after Fran left.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Hearing Tennessee is interested in Oregon State's Mike Riley. He turned down the Alabama job after Fran left.
    That would be a surprising hire because Riley is a Corvallis guy-he was a football hero at Corvallis High and spent his formative years basically on the campus of OSU, so it's home (same with his wife) and his dream job. Plus given his ties to community and being a legacy due to his dad being a Beaver coach for so long, he basically has unending job security there (he's signed thru something like 2020). If he didn't take the Bama job despite his family ties and history as a player in Tuscaloosa because of family obligations, I doubt he'd uproot from a place the Riley's call their hometown to coach the Vols.

I've been surprised before though.

Turn Off Ads?