Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 67 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Alabama earned it on the field.

I don't like the system that forced LSU, to beat a team, play a conference championship game, and then beat that team again.
    The silver lining might be that there might be enough groundswell from this one to see some meaningful changes to the system because the thing that is worse than controversy is making people wait for a dud...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

I enjoyed the game. How many hard hits were there last night? 150? Loved that aggressive style.

As a former HS coach, those defenses, particularly 'Bama's, were exactly what you can do when you have limited offensive talent. (It galled me to type that, knowing full well Richardson is the best RB in CFB. But the fact is, Bama has one receiver who can catch, run a route, and beat defenders, plus Richardson. Everything else is well below average, as to a BCS team.)

Defense wins championships.

The two best teams in college football were on that field last night. During March Madness, no one rails against a final game that pits Duke against North Carolina. No one would bat an eye. (Aside from Kentucky fans, perhaps.) Why is it different here?
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 01-10-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I enjoyed the game. How many hard hits were there last night? 150? Loved that aggressive style.

As a former HS coach, those defenses, particularly 'Bama's, were exactly what you can do when you have limited offensive talent. (It galled me to type that, knowing full well Richardson is the best RB in CFB. But the fact is, Bama has one receiver who can catch, run a route, and beat defenders, plus Richardson. Everything else is well below average, as to a BCS team.)

Defense wins championships.

The two best teams in college football were on that field last night. During March Madness, no one rails against a final game that pits Duke against North Carolina. No one would bat an eye. (Aside from Kentucky fans, perhaps.) Why is it different here?
    Because they would have had to beat 5 other teams in order to get to that point and not have it handed to them by the BSPN hype machine. I tried to watch part of it but the ineptitude of both offenses disgusted me to the point that I couldn't watch. Jared Lee should have been in there at the LATEST the 2nd quarter and at least given LSU a CHANCE.You saw the defensive dominance because both offenses were just THAT HORRIBLE.

Stick Andrew Luck, Geno Smith, Case Kennum, or any even an AVERAGE qb on EITHER team and you're looking at a blood bath.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Apples and asparagus.

March Madness has a tournament format. If Duke and UNC made it to the National Championship, it would be because they had to beat teams along the way to make it that far. The BCS is rankings based and has been criticized ever since its been put into play.

I loved the game as well. The SEC is hands down the best conference in all of college football. Nothing against the Big Ten or Big 12, but the SEC is just that dominant. It's better than trying to watch the Orange Bowl or Rose Bowl where it looks like an Arena League game.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Stick Andrew Luck, Geno Smith, Case Kennum, or any even an AVERAGE qb on EITHER team and you're looking at a blood bath.
    Disagree with this. McCarron was pretty darn good last night and still the best they could manage was 5 FGs and a garbage time touchdown.

And Jefferson was bad... About as bad as a QB can be... Yet I doubt that any of the "elite" offenses in the country would have put up 3 TDs on the Bama defense.

Let's not forget, the Bama D gave up 9 total touchdowns all year.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Disagree with this. McCarron was pretty darn good last night and still the best they could manage was 5 FGs and a garbage time touchdown.

And Jefferson was bad... About as bad as a QB can be... Yet I doubt that any of the "elite" offenses in the country would have put up 3 TDs on the Bama defense.

Let's not forget, the Bama D gave up 9 total touchdowns all year.
    What legitimate qb did Alabama have to gameplan for the entire season? Looking at their schedule do you even see ONE guy who MIGHT get to do more than hold a clipboard at the next level? I don't.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I don't like the system that forced LSU, to beat a team, play a conference championship game, and then beat that team again.
    Rematches happen. The NY Giants lost to NE in the regular season and beat them in the Super Bowl. No one's doubting the legitimacy of that championship. When Villanova beat Georgetown in the NCAA finals, they lost to them twice earlier that season.

This is the system that we have. I don't like the fact that there is no playoff but no one seems to want to change it that badly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Rematches happen. The NY Giants lost to NE in the regular season and beat them in the Super Bowl. No one's doubting the legitimacy of that championship. When Villanova beat Georgetown in the NCAA finals, they lost to them twice earlier that season.

This is the system that we have. I don't like the fact that there is no playoff but no one seems to want to change it that badly.
    The difference is in the NCAA basketball and NFL systems teams had to win their way through a playoff in order to earn those rematches. No computer annointed them a shot at a rematch

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

Apples to Oranges.

Rematches that are EARNED happened. Alabama didn't beat anyone to earn the rematch they were given the rematch by computers and voters. Even a plus 1 kills any disputes people like me would have. But because there isn't a number of teams aren't going to get a chance because it was just assumed who the best two were.

William Arthur Ward

What legitimate qb did Alabama have to gameplan for the entire season? Looking at their schedule do you even see ONE guy who MIGHT get to do more than hold a clipboard at the next level? I don't.
    Tyler Wilson, perhaps. Arkansas certainly had a legitimate offense.

And let's not forget that LSU scored 35+ points in all but 3 games.

And if we're talking about future NFL starters, then we narrowed the pool quite a bit. What, maybe 3-4 in all of college football???
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Tyler Wilson, perhaps. Arkansas certainly had a legitimate offense.

And let's not forget that LSU scored 35+ points in all but 3 games.

And if we're talking about future NFL starters, then we narrowed the pool quite a bit. What, maybe 3-4 in all of college football???
    Wilson was why I worded it like I did. How many of those points came with short fields thanks to the defense and/or special teams? I know against WVU at least 4 scores came from turnovers, shank punts, or long returns.

LSU always asked Jefferson and Lee to not lose the game, they never were asked to win a game.

William Arthur Ward

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

So you don't like the NFL system? I am sure a team has beaten a team in the regular season, only to go on to lose to them in the Super Bowl.

Because they would have had to beat 5 other teams in order to get to that point and not have it handed to them by the BSPN hype machine. I tried to watch part of it but the ineptitude of both offenses disgusted me to the point that I couldn't watch. Jared Lee should have been in there at the LATEST the 2nd quarter and at least given LSU a CHANCE.You saw the defensive dominance because both offenses were just THAT HORRIBLE.

Alabama, outside of two games against LSU, averaged 38.7 points this year. LUS, outside of two games against Alabama, averaged 41 points this year.

The defenses are that good. It didn't have much to do with the offenses. No team was going to beat Alabama last night, at least not one with college players.

Apples to Oranges.

Rematches that are EARNED happened. Alabama didn't beat anyone to earn the rematch they were given the rematch by computers and voters. Even a plus 1 kills any disputes people like me would have. But because there isn't a number of teams aren't going to get a chance because it was just assumed who the best two were.
    Alabama beat everyone on their schedule except LSU, in which they took to overtime.

No one else had a better argument except LSU, because they beat everyone on their schedule.

At the end of the day, I think people are more upset because they don't like the style of play between the two teams rather than thinking someone else was one of the best two teams in the country.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Defensive dominance. I loved it. Tired of watching teams that go up and down the field in arena football style. Loved watching the speed, strength, and dominance of the Bama defense.
    I prefer the happy-medium approach where both teams have a pulse on both sides of the ball, but that's just me.

After the first game, I wrote that both offenses -- like the old Nebraska offenses under Tom Osborne -- were completely predicated on being physically superior to the other team's defense. Which they are, in almost all cases. But when they ran up against a team that could stand toe-to-toe, they had no answers, which is why the first game was so ugly. Last night was mostly more of the same, but given time to prepare, Alabama found enough answers to move the ball. LSU still had nothing.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?