Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Alabama beat everyone on their schedule except LSU, in which they took to overtime.

No one else had a better argument except LSU, because they beat everyone on their schedule.

At the end of the day, I think people are more upset because they don't like the style of play between the two teams rather than thinking someone else was one of the best two teams in the country.
    Oklahoma St. Would argue they would:

Their schedule:
    Big 12 was the Sagarin #1 rated conference almost throughout the season.
    Beat 6 bowl teams and that was just their conference schedule. Alabama beat 3 teams with winning records (before the bowl, didn't play Georgia or Spurrier Ball the only 2 teams in the SEC East worth a crap this year).
    DOMINATED #13 Oklahoma to offset any bump from Alabama beat Arkansas.

Lost on the road who had 6 losses all to ranked teams, Alabama lost at home.

Alabama had already played LSU and lost. You penalized LSU by making them play an additional game and then again by playing a team they already beat during the season, since that is "suppose" to be the playoff according to the BcS defenders.

To say no one else had a resume that merited being in the BcS title game is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post

Their schedule:
    Beat 6 bowl teams and that was just their conference schedule. Alabama beat 3 teams with winning records (before the bowl, didn't play Georgia or Spurrier Ball the only 2 teams in the SEC East worth a crap this year).

Alabama had already played LSU and lost. You penalized LSU by making them play an additional game and then again by playing a team they already beat during the season, since that is "suppose" to be the playoff according to the BcS defenders.

To say no one else had a resume that merited being in the BcS title game is wrong.
    I didn't say no one else had a resume to merit them being in the game. I said, although maybe didn't state it well, that no one had a better argument based on it being "earned" by beating teams on the field as implied by you in the previous post.

I honestly believe that Oklahoma State had a better resume when solely looking at who they beat. I fully believe, without a shadow of a doubt, and have believed it for months, that Alabama is the best team in the country.

My contention is that if the BCS is supposed to place the two best teams up against one another, then it did that job this season. Like everyone else, sans the bowl chairmen and presidents, I want an on the field playoff like every other sport and even every other division of college football has (which is why the idea that "we can't do that because of school/Christmas break/any other excuse to keep lining their pockets with cash is a huge joke).

Apples to Oranges.

Rematches that are EARNED happened. Alabama didn't beat anyone to earn the rematch they were given the rematch by computers and voters. Even a plus 1 kills any disputes people like me would have. But because there isn't a number of teams aren't going to get a chance because it was just assumed who the best two were.
    But that's the system we have and apparantly most people want. Oklahoma State could have wound up in the title game if they had just taken care of business in Ames. A 3 point loss to an undefeated LSU looks a lot better than a 6 point loss to a mediocre Iowa State.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    But that's the system we have and apparantly most people want. Oklahoma State could have wound up in the title game if they had just taken care of business in Ames. A 3 point loss to an undefeated LSU looks a lot better than a 6 point loss to a mediocre Iowa State.
    Ain't that the truth.

Their schedule:

What are you arguing, that Okla St and not Alabama should have plastered LSU? Alabama did nothing yesterday to show that they didn't belong

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Alabama earned it on the field.

I don't like the system that forced LSU, to beat a team, play a conference championship game, and then beat that team again.
    Me either, but that's what the fabled playoff system would get us.

It also shows that loading up your OOC schedule is a waste of time, LSU took down the Big East and Pac12 champs, Alabama had a middle tier big 10 team, what good did that do LSU?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Disagree with this. McCarron was pretty darn good last night and still the best they could manage was 5 FGs and a garbage time touchdown.

And Jefferson was bad... About as bad as a QB can be... Yet I doubt that any of the "elite" offenses in the country would have put up 3 TDs on the Bama defense.

Let's not forget, the Bama D gave up 9 total touchdowns all year.
    I don't remember McCarron making a bad decision the whole night. Both teams are essentially equal talent-wise at least if one has an advantage it's mostly a push. That said LSU was outcoached to the nth extreme and Bama executed. That's last night's narrative IMHO.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Me either, but that's what the fabled playoff system would get us.

It also shows that loading up your OOC schedule is a waste of time, LSU took down the Big East and Pac12 champs, Alabama had a middle tier big 10 team, what good did that do LSU?
    The Tigers (13-1) wound up beating the teams that won the BCS championship (Alabama), Rose Bowl (Oregon), Orange Bowl (West Virginia), Cotton Bowl (Arkansas), Chick-fil-A Bowl (Auburn), Gator Bowl (Florida) and Music City Bowl (Mississippi State). They also beat the loser of the Outback Bowl (Georgia).
    http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...r-one-quarter/

LSU screwed up by winning the 1st game. If they'd gotten beat, they'd have been the ones sitting around, chewing on nails for a month and a half. Instead, they looked tired and scared.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...r-one-quarter/

LSU screwed up by winning the 1st game. If they'd gotten beat, they'd have been the ones sitting around, chewing on nails for a month and a half. Instead, they looked tired and scared.
    LSU had something to lose. Bama had something to win.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    LSU had something to lose. Bama had something to win.
    Well that and Alabama was simply the better team both times they played.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well that and Alabama was simply the better team both times they played.
    The first game was basically a statistical push and Bama lost. They weren't the better team in Tuscaloosa.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The first game was basically a statistical push and Bama lost. They weren't the better team in Tuscaloosa.
    Disagree there. The game I watched had Alabama dominating that game, but their kicker couldn't get anything done.

I'm with Doug. I came away feeling like Alabama was the better team in both contests.

You've been processed....

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012...-with-alabama/

Justin Taylor of North Atlanta High School has been committed to Alabama for nearly a year, last February becoming the No. 7 pledge for this year’s class.
    “Coach Saban just said I’m the 26th commitment. I would be the 26th signee. I guess he went and picked up somebody else. He said I make 26 and they only get 25. They talked about bringing me in next January.” [Note: Alabama has 27 commitments]
    Actually, from what I can tell, Bama came in 3 under last season and can sign 28 with this class... Saban was committed to him until Saban wasn't committed to him...

You mean big-time college coaches don't tell recruits the whole truth?

Turn Off Ads?