Thread: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Auburn 600 Clemson -12
    Can I take the under on that one?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Perhaps. I'm not privy to their reasons. I tend to doubt that an ESPN-U game is a big deal to UT.
    This year, it may be. I doubt if you see them on CBS or ESPN much.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    There's some co-ordinated effort between the schools, the league and the TV networks.

The networks will dictate that there are at least a couple decent conference matchups after the first week of the season in order to fill those TV slots. (ESPN even convinced the conference, Vandy and SC to move their game to this Thursday night for a primetime showing).

Week 3 is an especially weak set of games for the SEC. I'm sure that's why UT and UF are in that slot.

The other issue with UF's schedule is that for a while, their "tough" OOC game has been FSU, last game of the year. So, unless they're playing a conference game week 1 (unlikely), that first week will be a cuppie.
    Exactly, it's a lot easier to schedule a new OOC game each year when your rivals are in conference, Florida doesn't have that advantage.

The SEC is running the show this year though with every schools scheduling due to expansion, it ended up being who had off weeks where in regards to OOC schools, some schools got the shaft, some got the cream of the cup cakes (Georgia) nobody at Florida is happy about the conference schedule being done so early.
    Go Gators!

"This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

I think you're underestimating Bray. He could be the difference maker in a bounceback year for UT. They return a bunch of starters and were decimated by injuries last year after the UC game where they manhandled an excellent Bearcat team. Simply put the team that lost to UK was a shell of the one that beat UC
    For Dooley's sake, I hope that you are right. I'm simply not a fan of slow, immobile QBs at the College Level, unless they are surrounded by plenty of speed at the other skill positions or are supplemented with another athletic QB/wildcat QB. A slow-footed QB works well at USC or Bama, where lack of speed at RB and WR is never a problem. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case for the Vols this year.

Also, athletic QBs can run Pro-Style offenses at the College level. Jake Locker and Jason Campbell come to mind. Lest we forget, athletic Tee Martin QBd the Vols to the national championship running virtually the same system as Payton Manning, with occasional wrinkles to take advantage of Martin's athleticism. Jim Chaney, who was also Drew Bree's OC at Purdue, could have molded Boyd into a dangerous weapon, IMO. It was a bad decision by Kiffen-who, of course, doesn't have to deal with the ramifications-anyway you look at it.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    For Dooley's sake, I hope that you are right. I'm simply not a fan of slow, immobile QBs at the College Level, unless they are surrounded by plenty of speed at the other skill positions or are supplemented with another athletic QB/wildcat QB. A slow-footed QB works well at USC or Bama, where lack of speed at RB and WR is never a problem. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case for the Vols this year.

Also, athletic QBs can run Pro-Style offenses at the College level. Jake Locker and Jason Campbell come to mind. Lest we forget, athletic Tee Martin QBd the Vols to the national championship running virtually the same system as Payton Manning, with occasional wrinkles to take advantage of Martin's athleticism. Jim Chaney, who was also Drew Bree's OC at Purdue, could have molded Boyd into a dangerous weapon, IMO. It was a bad decision by Kiffen-who, of course, doesn't have to deal with the ramifications-anyway you look at it.
    I agree with you that at the college level, I prefer athletic QBs. Guys like Peyton, Marino and Brees made better NFL players than college. Arguably the best college QBs were Vince Young and Tim Tebow. I don't know that Boyd is being talked about in those terms but it'll be interesting to see how he does.

Right now publications are calling Tyler Bray the best QB in the SEC so he's not chopped liver. I'd argue that he fits UT's pro style offense better than Boyd. He also does have weapons:

You could argue junior Tyler Bray is the best quarterback in the SEC, and the educated conference fan would be hard pressed to disagree. It’s true Bray has yet to stay healthy enough to play a full slate

Don’t look now, but in 2012 Bray might get one of the best receiver corps in the SEC, if not the nation, along with an offensive line that returns nearly everyone and now has more than 100 career starts under its collective belt

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1201774.html

So I think it's a stretch to criticize a coach's decision to keep a guy who projects to be one of the best in the SEC.

Vandy should have won that game.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Vandy got SCREWED.

Vandy got beat at home by a better team.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

You can't just say South Carolina was the "better team." You couldn't tell considering it was 1 game that was close the whole time.

You can't just say South Carolina was the "better team." You couldn't tell considering it was 1 game that was close the whole time.

Sorry for the double post

Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    You can't just say South Carolina was the "better team."
    Yes, I can.

South Carolina Pass Interference No Call Against Vanderbilt - YouTube

And don't get me started on the personal foul penalty on Andre Hal.

Yes, I can.
    TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS 272 276
    Total offense plays 62 59
    Average Gain Per Play 4.4 4.7

Turn Off Ads?