Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    SEC refs will never let the top teams lose to one of the middle-of-the-pack SEC teams. That's why there are never any upsets in SEC vs. SEC games like there are in all other conferences.

Had Pac12 officials protected USC like SEC refs do, the Trojans would still be unbeaten.
    Like in 2007 when UK upset eventual National Champion LSU.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Mock me all you want. That's the perception that the rest of the country has about the SEC. Friendly officiating, dirty programs that are protected (UK basketball, Tennesee basketball, Auburn football, Cam Newton, Mississippi State, Arkansas, etc.), overhyped games, etc.

Whether you as SEC fans think that is immaterial. The rest of the country rolls its eyes. And that's not taking anything away from how good the top two or three teams in the conference are, by the way.

Which bastion of integrity do you root for?
    Last edited by WMR; 09-17-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Like in 2007 when UK upset eventual National Champion LSU.
    Also, Arkansas 50, LSU 48 3OT-- the day after Thanksgiving 2007.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Mock me all you want. That's the perception that the rest of the country has about the SEC. Friendly officiating, dirty programs that are protected (UK basketball, Tennesee basketball, Auburn football, Cam Newton, Mississippi State, Arkansas, etc.), overhyped games, etc.

Whether you as SEC fans think that is immaterial. The rest of the country rolls its eyes. And that's not taking anything away from how good the top two or three teams in the conference are, by the way.
    Comepletely ridiculous statement if that truely is your opinion.

IMO there is some validity to this comment. If my memory is correct there were a number of questionable calls that went Auburn's way during their national championship season. I even think some went to replay and left me shaking my head when they upheld the original call.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    IMO there is some validity to this comment. If my memory is correct there were a number of questionable calls that went Auburn's way during their national championship season. I even think some went to replay and left me shaking my head when they upheld the original call.
    If the SEC was protecting Auburn, explain the phantom roughing call on Fairley in the Iron Bowl that year.

There were several "previous play is under review" moments at key parts of several games in 2010 but you really need to point to one that was obviously wrong and that decided a game.

Concerning this notion that Auburn is dirty, Auburn is the second winningest program in the SEC over the last three decades and it's been more than 20 years since the program has been hit with NCAA sanctions. It most recently came out of an exhaustive investigation of Cam and recruiting with a clean bill of health with the NCAA saying it simply couldn't continue to investigate in good conscience. Simply put, no one can credibly argue that Auburn is dirty based upon facts available for public consumption. If it’s all the same, please refrain from smearing Auburn's reputation on little more than lunatic rumors, message board gossip and babbling radio hosts.
    Last edited by jojo; 09-18-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Not to be a defender of the SEC here, but there are questionable calls in almost every close game. To single out Auburn or any other school is largely cherry picking. I'm sure you are just as tired as I am for convincing the world that Chris Gamble was indeed interferred with in the end zone in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Not to be a defender of the SEC here, but there are questionable calls in almost every close game. To single out Auburn or any other school is largely cherry picking. I'm sure you are just as tired as I am for convincing the world that Chris Gamble was indeed interferred with in the end zone in 2003.
    This isn't an Auburn issue and I don't mean to pick at Auburn. I remember watching the Auburn LSU game thinking "someone in the SEC offices wants Auburn to stay undefeated."

I do think that the top SEC teams whether its LSU, Alabama, Auburn or Florida get the benefit of the calls as the season goes along. There is a line of thinking among SEC fans that "we play in the toughest league we deserve to get at least one team in the title game" And to be honest I would be lying if I said I didn't think there wasn't an outside influence helping to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    Comepletely ridiculous statement if that truely is your opinion.
    So paying someone's dad over 200K is ok? Weird...As far as the SEC goes, the SEC East is for the most part clean.

My biggest gripes about some SEC teams are:

1. Cam Newton, a felon who stole a laptop from his roomate while at UF, goes to Auburn after his Dad shopped him around for over 200K. The NCAA said his dad found a "loophole" that got them a get out of jail free card.

2. Can't remember his name, but last year an LSU player stomped a US Marine down until he wasn't unconscious.

3.The practice of oversigning, which is a religion at LSU and Alabama.

There are some SEC fans who know about this, many shrug it off, but when a team gets what equals an extra recruiting class every four years there is no doubt it gives them a vast advantage over teams who find this practice unethical.

Check out www.oversigning.com to learn more.

4. ESPN's seemingly blind eye they turn to all the dirty shananigans the SEC pulls, yet their seemingly constant coverage of every little thing a Big Ten team does. I'm sure having a contract with the SEC has something to with this. The Big Ten Network being one of their main competitors probably has something to do with this as well.

With the exception of UF, every SEC team that's won the NC in their run they've had are all notorious oversigners.

I can let the Newton pay for play scandal fly by, but to me oversigning shouldn't be allowed in college football. It's unethical and simply not right.

That's what irkes alot of fans. I do have alot of respect for Georgia coach Mark Richt. He has been an outspoken opponent of oversigning and I feel bad for a guy who does it the right way but can't get ahead in his own conference because scumbags like Saban and Miles continue to oversign.
    Last edited by Red Buckeye; 09-18-2012 at 01:57 PM.

This isn't an Auburn issue and I don't mean to pick at Auburn. I remember watching the Auburn LSU game thinking "someone in the SEC offices wants Auburn to stay undefeated."

I do think that the top SEC teams whether its LSU, Alabama, Auburn or Florida get the benefit of the calls as the season goes along. There is a line of thinking among SEC fans that "we play in the toughest league we deserve to get at least one team in the title game" And to be honest I would be lying if I said I didn't think there wasn't an outside influence helping to some extent.
    I have yet to meet an SEC who thinks his team gets preferential treatment by SEC officials but it's hard to find an SEC fan who doesn't complain about the officials.

I think your opinion is based upon anecdotal evidence that simply isn't an accurate depiction of what happens.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    So paying someone's dad over 200K is ok?
    Who did that?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    3.The practice of oversigning, which is a religion at LSU and Alabama.

There are some SEC fans who know about this, many shrug it off, but when a team gets what equals an extra recruiting class every four years there is no doubt it gives them a vast advantage over teams who find this practice unethical.

That's what irkes alot of fans. I do have alot of respect for Georgia coach Mark Richt. He has been an outspoken opponent of oversigning and I feel bad for a guy who does it the right way but can't get ahead in his own conference because scumbags like Saban and Miles continue to oversign.
    As an SEC apologist, I have no problem with oversigning as long as it's within NCAA guidelines. If not then they deserve to be hammered by the NCAA. If the SEC is playing within the rules then kudos to them for doing all they can to play top notch football. Having been to colleges in both the SEC and the Big Ten, I can vouch for the fact that football is more important in the south and they'll go to all lengths to get ahead. No question

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Who did that?
    http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ssippi-state/1

So the answer is no one did.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    As an SEC apologist, I have no problem with oversigning as long as it's within NCAA guidelines. If not then they deserve to be hammered by the NCAA. If the SEC is playing within the rules then kudos to them for doing all they can to play top notch football. Having been to colleges in both the SEC and the Big Ten, I can vouch for the fact that football is more important in the south and they'll go to all lengths to get ahead. No question
    There is a reason most every college, and most athletic directors rail against oversigning. This isn't pro sports.

I guess I find the idea of promising a young man a college education to play football, only to yank his scholarship from him when I happen to recruit someone better than him at the same position is a little disreputable and immoral.

As far as which schools care most about football, I think a more appropriate gage of measuring this is how much a program spends on it's program, not how many loopholes a program can find. And also not how many educations a program renigs to student athletes.

According to Forbes, the top 3 biggest spending programs on college football were Ohio State, Alabama, and Notre Dame.
    Last edited by Red Buckeye; 09-18-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Turn Off Ads?