Turn Off Ads?
Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Re: SEC Football Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    In this case you'd be down one and it would be a worse bet then thinking you're smarter than Vegas.
    I am betting with the house betting against Auburn fan.

Heard Paul Feinbaum give a take on ESPN.com and basically he said these allegation aren't surprising. He doesn't know if the NCAA will go back to Auburn because of all the interviews they have already conducted but also because of the fiasco in Miami. He also said that most people outside of Auburn saw the BCS title as tarnished at the time and this only goes further to reaffirming that position.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think there is a good chance this story is probably true.
    Chizik is a racist (she implied he treats African Americans "differently")? Jeeps, that's a tough one to defend just on it's face. But then when you consider that Chizik stuck by his right hand man to the bitter end (Trooper Taylor, a minority) while running off the architects of the 2010 championship (Roof and Malzahn-both distinctly not minorities) in moves that essentially cost him his job, it seems even more difficult to argue Chizik has trouble with certain "types" of players. Gosh knows he certainly recruited enough tattoos/dredlocks, highly successfully, to make such an assertion that he despised tattos and dreadlocks seem a little silly. But really I think the nail in that coffin is that Taylor actually sued Auburn city schools because his son's coach had a rule that prohibited Trooper's son from having dreadlocks. Either that infuriated Chizik so much he couldn't concentrate on coaching ultimately leading to a 3-9 season, or maybe, Chizik's loyalty to certain people led to his demise and also kind of illustrates that Robert's assertion couldn't be further from "probably true".

What about other things she alledges? Auburn fixes grades so that the football team can win? Well I wish. Coming off a season where their defense was historically bad (not only for Auburn but really darn near D1 historically bad), Auburn wouldn't even admit a 5 star defensive lineman because of a grade he got in an English class. Guess they'll never get the chance to "fix" his grades. But really those who actually understand what goes on at Auburn werent surprised because this has happened quite often-i.e. antagonism between the athletic department and the "people who fix grades at Auburn". Ask Tony Barbee what he thinks about allegations that Auburn changes grades for it's athletes.

Chizik tried to hurt his player's ability to be drafted? That is so consistent with using players who graduate to the nfl as a recruiting tool. Seriously that makes no sense especially given the hard fought recruiting wars that Auburn fights every year with Bama, Georgia, and LSU. Besides, that is anti-thetical to Chizik's whole persona. If anything, he's coddled players and preferentially treated the "stars".

Speaking of stars, Chizik treated Adams poorly? Adams became a star receiver under Chizik. He doesn't play professional football anywhere if not for the Auburn offense of2 009-2010.

Nieko Thorpe was treated poorly? He has issued the strongest statement refuting Roberts' "probably true" allegations. He's just one of the many players who have publically refuted what Roberts wrote about them.

People who are familiar with Auburn just roll their eyes at some of the craziness that Roberts wrote( and it's not like this is the first time Roberts has written something similar about Auburn). Even Finebuam who makes a living by whipping up the Bama fans of Birmingham like Jerry Springer in a trailor park, couldn't even bring himself to suggest Roberts' story has credibility.

And what of Roberts' smoking gun? Apparently she didn't actually have any bullets in it....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Blanc;
    When Mike McNeil told me I would receive a call from her, he just said this is a lady that's trying to help my case and she wants to know some things about my character. If I knew she was going to slander Auburn and slander my name, I never would have talked to her. Mike is a teammate of ours and if it was something that could help him, I'm all about helping anybody. But if I knew it was to slander and talk badly about people, I never would have agreed to talk to her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neiko Thorpe;
    While I spoke to Selena Roberts about Mike I have just read her article & not only am I misquoted but my words are very out of context. We didn't talk about NCAA violations or recruiting. I'm proud 2 have played at Auburn & the opportunities it gave me
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine Carter;
    Please dont remix my words
    Quote Originally Posted by Police Chief Tommy Dawson;
    I'd like to be clear, I don't make any difference for a football player, a football coach, anybody," I could care less what a football coach has to say. A football coach doesn't tell me how to run the Auburn police division.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daren Bates;
    (When asked if the Roberts story is true)
    "I don't even know who that is"
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Muschamp;
    Totally deny it. I don’t know where this is coming from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dre Kirkpatrick;
    We went to a house party with no cover, Kirkpatrick said. Nobody gave me money. Nobody spent money on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Offical statement released by Gene Chizic;
    “During my tenure at Auburn, the NCAA conducted a multi-year investigation into the Auburn football program that they called “fair and thorough.” The NCAA focused intently on widespread accusations about Auburn players being paid and other alleged recruiting violations. The NCAA conducted 80 interviews. In October 2011, the NCAA rejected “rampant public speculation online and in the media.” Unfortunately, the recent story published by Selena Roberts is more of the same. It once again portrays Auburn University, current and former coaches, professors, fans, supporters and community officials in a false light.

“Unfortunately, Ms. Roberts’ story is long on accusation and inference, but short on facts and logic. It is noteworthy that the story comes just days before a player mentioned most prominently in the article is set to go to trial for felony armed robbery. The statements are very generalized accusations devoid of substance. During my time as Auburn’s head coach, I never authorized, instructed or directed anyone to change any player’s grade or provide any type of illegal payment to any student-athlete. Likewise, I am not aware of any alleged grade change or illegal payment by any member of my coaching staff, support staff or anyone else.

“As for logic, the notion that the conduct inferred by Ms. Roberts was occurring under the NCAA’s nose, at the very same time the NCAA is conducting its thorough investigation, lacks merit. Further, the notion that there was ever an attempt to sabotage any Auburn student-athlete’s attempt to play professional football is outrageous. Auburn’s success in transitioning student-athletes to the NFL benefits both the student-athlete and the Auburn program.

“I remain part of the Auburn family and take these attacks on myself, the University and community seriously. During my time at Auburn, the administrators, professors and academic staff were of the highest integrity. Additionally, the inference that there was academic support staff that worked together with professors to change grades is absurd. As an Auburn resident, I take great pride in the quality and integrity of our police department. They enforce the law equally and fairly and my dealings with police Chief Tommy Dawson and his staff have been nothing short of excellent. He has handled many high profile cases with the upmost integrity and professionalism. To imply anything otherwise is simply wrong.

“If there is a sad truth here, it is that there are no repercussions for bloggers who blast out widespread, venomous allegations and inferences in such an irresponsible manner. To make bold and outrageous conclusions on such thin support is a travesty.

“During my tenure as Auburn’s head coach, we kept the well-being of our student-athletes at the forefront of every decision. We ran our program with the highest level of integrity and accountability. Period. I make absolutely no apologies for that. I stand firm in my statements, my support of Auburn University, its student-athletes (present and former), faculty, staff and community officials. As I stated during the NCAA investigation, I am comforted knowing that the truth always prevails.
    Last edited by jojo; 04-04-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I am betting with the house betting against Auburn fan.
    You'll lose just like those who swore the NCAA was about to blow up Auburn with Cam-now there was a referendum on credibility if ever there was one.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Heard Paul Feinbaum give a take on ESPN.com and basically he said these allegation aren't surprising. He doesn't know if the NCAA will go back to Auburn because of all the interviews they have already conducted but also because of the fiasco in Miami. He also said that most people outside of Auburn saw the BCS title as tarnished at the time and this only goes further to reaffirming that position.
    Finebaum did not suggest that these allegations are consistent with reality.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

And I'd just like to point out the Red Elephant in Auburn's closet.... Auburn's 2012 does not happen if a coaching staff has created a "culture of fear" like Roberts alledges and "controls its players too much".

You know what happens? Bama's 2012.

No Auburn's 2012 happens when players don't fear the coaching staff or consequences. And that is why Coaches lose their jobs and kids like Mosely and McNeal end up being accused of armed robbery seeminly out of the blue.

And I'd just like to point out the Red Elephant in Auburn's closet.... Auburn's 2012 does not happen if a coaching staff has created a "culture of fear" like Roberts alledges and "controls its players too much".

You know what happens? Bama's 2012.

No Auburn's 2012 happens when players don't fear the coaching staff or consequences. And that is why Coaches lose their jobs and kids like Mosely and McNeal end up being accused of armed robbery seeminly out of the blue.
    Can James Brooks even read this absurd post?
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Can James Brooks even read this absurd post?
    Maurice Clarrett sure can't. But certainly James Brooks can't find a coherent argument in your post.

Mike Blanc refutes everything that Selena Roberts claimed he said and frankly his statements call into question whether she even asked the players about the things that she attributes their quotes to....

http://auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1491490

BTW, Roberts seems to be degenerating into a wierdo, internet conspiracy nut:

Mike McNeil can detail how the culture of big-time football works in a fast-growing community of 53,000 under the thumb of its major industry: Auburn University athletics. In an economic impact survey by the school in 2007, the report stated: “a conservative estimate of Auburn football’s direct visitor expenditures is more than $79.6 million during seven home events. That spending generates some $173 million in economic impact.” The university tentacles reach everywhere as the leading employer in Lee County. Chris Hughes, the judge who is scheduled to sit on the bench at Mike’s trial next week, is an Auburn University alumnus. According to his website, he once worked at the university coliseum and his sister is an Auburn University professor. The school is a massive construction zone these days thanks to public funding and the largesse of wealthy alumni, many of whom sit in luxury boxes at Jordan-Hare Stadium, seating capacity 87,451.

As part of the BCS-dominant SEC, Auburn athletics feeds off the more than $3 billion earned by the conference through network and cable TV deals and will be part of an incoming stream of millions more with the SEC TV Network set to launch in 2014. “They recruit you by telling you what you want to hear: You’re family; you’re like a son to me,” says Mike. “But the reality is your class schedule is planned around football, not the other way around. It’s a business and there are players on the payroll.”

McNeil is not alone in understanding how Auburn football operates as an underground society beneath the NCAA’s radar. “Auburn does whatever Auburn wants,” says Thorpe. In interviews with more than a dozen players from the BCS title team, a portrait emerges of a championship tainted by allegations suggesting a program going off the rails:
    Chris Hughes is part of this grande hidden underground society that stretches it's evil tentacles throughout the southeast in the name of Auburn football? First, NO WAY the honorable judge Hughes is making decisions based upon the best interests of the Auburn football program (BTW, he got his law degree at Bama). McNeil is not being pressured by the legal system to intimidate him into silence. He is being tried for armed robbery. Interestingly, Judge Hughes also let one of the accused players out on bail so that he could actually leave the state to play football at another institution while the legal process played itself out. Come on Selena. This is really judicial terror?

Selena also should've interviewed Reese Dismukes about the special treatment that the Auburn Police Department gives to Auburn football players. For those who don't keep up with Auburn, he's the starting center who got suspended for the Clemson game last season because the Auburn Police Department arrested him.

Selena Roberts wrote a blog piece and she apparently took great liberties that wouldn't be possible with an editor exerting influence.
    Last edited by jojo; 04-04-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Actually the more one thinks about Roberts' blog, it makes ESPN look really bad-not Auburn.

We'll see. I've already acknowledged that the stuff she said is going to be very hard to prove (which you decided to leave out when you quoted me).

It is really easy after the fact to come out and say "Oh I didnt' say that", so I don't put much merit in that either. You would hope if she is a good journalist that she recorded any interviews she did, but I haven't heard anything to that end yet.

I like how sure you are at all times that Auburn is super squeaky clean. Maybe they are (they aren't), but that doesn't really matter. It is what the NCAA can or can't prove and in this case I would guess you are probably going to be ok.

We'll see. I've already acknowledged that the stuff she said is going to be very hard to prove (which you decided to leave out when you quoted me).

It is really easy after the fact to come out and say "Oh I didnt' say that", so I don't put much merit in that either. You would hope if she is a good journalist that she recorded any interviews she did, but I haven't heard anything to that end yet.

I like how sure you are at all times that Auburn is super squeaky clean. Maybe they are (they aren't), but that doesn't really matter. It is what the NCAA can or can't prove and in this case I would guess you are probably going to be ok.
    I never claimed Auburn is squeakly clean. In fact, i've talked alot about secondary violations and concerns about Trooper Taylor. Don't assume so much..... I'm also on record as saying that if Auburn was caught cheating, i'd be furious.

But I don't believe Auburn paid Cam. Why? Because the NCAA exhaustively investigated this issue and concluded they couldn't continue in good faith given the lack of any evidence to assert such an allegation. how many times has the NCAA started looking through phone records, bank statements, emails, car receipts, and tatoos and came up with NOTHING? This isn't a matter of the NCAA thinks Auburn paid Cam but just couldn't prove it as some who had Godzilla sized egg on their faces after things didn't end as they argued they would for months on end now like to claim. The NCAA couldn't even find a reason to think Auburn paid Cam.

And for all of this bluster about Auburn being the dirtiest program in college football with this culture of paying player left and right-BS. last time I checked, the early 90's were over three decades ago and that was realyl a very isolated infraction. Meanwhile, Bama has vacated 29 games since (OSU has vacated 12 wins) and essentially spent two decades straight on probation. Seriously, when was the last time that Auburn was involved in a serious sanction? Frankly one has to imagine vast conspiracies to explain why Auburn has apparently been so successful at hiding their criminal enterprise! At this point one can only assume that Bigfoot is the bagman.

BTW, Roberts said on the radio today that she had a few of conversations taped but not all of them and she feels no obligation to produce them or share them even if her integrity is challenged. In short, "trust her".

But really, facts are important. Selena Roberts wants people to beleive that grades were being changed, dozens of drug tests suppressed (Auburn BTW has one of the toughest drug policies in the SEC and really in the BCS) and cash flying through the air like in those insurance ads with the motorcycle guy on tv-all the while the NCAA was on campus giving the Athletic department a colonoscopy.

Shenanigans. It just doesn't stand the test of basic believability.

Furthermore, she's arguing the local police departments and judical system is involved in a conspiracy to silence McNeal apparently in order to deflect attention away from Cam Newton who, by the way, is back on campus taking classes (and the University can't tell enough people about it).

Seriously. Roberts has used McNeil in a contrived, contorted effort to forward an genda, tricked people into clicking on her website and ESPN has embarrassed itself because this is such a brazenly obvious example of how little they now resemble a legitimate news outlet.

BTW, McNeil burst into the trailor with several other individuals with his face covered to hide his identity while the occupants were robbed at gunpoint. He was arrested with his fellow alledged consirators in the vehicle used to drive away from the scene. That vehicle contained the weapon, the individuals matching the descriptions of the perpetrators (who were also identified in a lineup), and the articles that were stolen. Literally the players were in custody in the Auburn police station in a matter of less than a few hours. They were dismissed from the team pretty quickly after the facts of the arrests were reported.

What exactly was Auburn supposed to do in regards to McNeil? What was the appropriate response?
    Last edited by jojo; 04-04-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Auburn should have kicked him off of their football team and told him that I hope he can find a good lawyer. His lack of being a good human being, doesn't mean he isn't telling the truth, but it obviously brings into question anything he says and he deserves that treatment due to his actions.

Also I don't believe Auburn paid Cam Newton. I think an Auburn booster paid Cam Newton. Who knows what Auburn knew about that and quite frankly that is why they stayed clean in that mess.

Even when the NCAA was given an exhaustive investigative report in the Miami story, they still found a way to mess that up. Unless someone messed up big time here and left an actual paper trail or has a locker full of old report cards Auburn is going to be fine.

Auburn should have kicked him off of their football team and told him that I hope he can find a good lawyer. His lack of being a good human being, doesn't mean he isn't telling the truth, but it obviously brings into question anything he says and he deserves that treatment due to his actions.

Also I don't believe Auburn paid Cam Newton. I think an Auburn booster paid Cam Newton. Who knows what Auburn knew about that and quite frankly that is why they stayed clean in that mess.

Even when the NCAA was given an exhaustive investigative report in the Miami story, they still found a way to mess that up. Unless someone messed up big time here and left an actual paper trail or has a locker full of old report cards Auburn is going to be fine.
    How exactly does $200,000 just magically get transferred? How the heck does the person getting it actually hide it? These aren't easy things to accomplish.

Seriously. I want to know so that I can get in on this but I don't want to end up in a federal prison sharing a cell with LSU and Bama fans.

Quote Originally Posted by statement issued by Jay Jacobs, Auburn AD;
    Anytime accusations are made against Auburn, we take them seriously. We have no reason to believe these allegations are either accurate or credible. However, as a matter of procedure, we are reviewing them carefully.

It is important to note that several of the sources in this story have since indicated they were either misquoted, quoted out of context or denied the allegations.

Unfortunately, the reporter who published this story did not fully represent to us what the story was about when requesting an interview. We were only told that the reporter was working on a story about the alleged armed robbery involving four former football players, which occurred over two years ago.

We were never told the story would include allegations about academic fraud or improper benefits. Had we known that, we would have responded immediately with the statement above.

Before anyone wants to blather about Auburn and drugs because ESPN magazine is about to publish an article stemming from the grand jury testimony of McNeil and company (the defense tried to blame the armed robbery attempt on a culture of drug use that Auburn was supposedly allowing to happen), here is Auburn's statement to ESPN and to the community:

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m...040413aaa.html

April 4, 2013

The following statement was provided to ESPN The Magazine on March 29, 2013. Also included below is an open letter to the Auburn Family from Athletics Director Jay Jacobs, which includes key supporting facts.

AUBURN ATHLETICS STATEMENT PROVIDED TO ESPN ON SYNTHETIC MARIJUANA STORY:

After a thorough internal review, the Auburn Athletics Department believes many of the allegations made by the individuals interviewed for this story are baseless and inaccurate.

As the District Attorney told a jury in open court a year ago, Auburn football and Auburn's policies had nothing to do with what happened the night that four former football players were arrested for armed robbery. Unfortunately, the defendants in this case are simply facing the consequences of their actions.

The facts clearly demonstrate that the Auburn Athletics Department and the Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics acted appropriately and aggressively in response to the growing threat of synthetic marijuana during the 2010-2011 academic year.

Auburn Athletics began testing its student-athletes for synthetic marijuana three days after a test became available. Since our drug testing policy was amended to include synthetic marijuana as a banned substance, there have been three positive tests for the drug out of more than 2,500 drug tests administered.

All of our student-athletes are regularly educated on the harms of all types of substance use and abuse, including synthetic marijuana. In addition to education, any student-athletes who test positive for drugs are required to seek professional counseling.

Auburn Athletics has always and will continue to put the wellbeing of our student-athletes at the forefront of our mission.

OPEN LETTER TO AUBURN FAMILY FROM JAY JACOBS

Dear Auburn Family,

You may have seen a story on ESPN.com this eveningabout the former Auburn football players who were dismissed two years ago for their involvement in an armed robbery.

The story chronicles the former players' use of synthetic marijuana, which the defendants in the robbery case have used as their primary defense in court. We expect another, more in-depth story to appear in an upcoming print edition of ESPN The Magazine.

We cooperated with ESPN in the story because of how appropriately and aggressively the Auburn Athletics Department and the Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics acted in response to the growing threat of synthetic marijuana during the 2010-2011 academic year.

As a father of three, I sympathize with the parents of the young men who face prison sentences for their alleged involvement in the armed robbery. While they have a right to speak out, I have an obligation to share the facts, which clearly show Auburn Athletics tried to help these former student-athletes.

Some of the statements made in the story are wrong and need to be corrected, while others need to be put into proper context. One player interviewed by ESPN, for example, alleges that up to half of the 2010 football team was using synthetic marijuana. It's hard to be more wrong than that. The facts and our drug testing results simply do not support such a claim.

A parent interviewed told ESPN they would have done more to help her son had we done more to let her know he was in trouble. That is incorrect. The facts demonstrate that our coaches and Sports Medicine professionals had regular communication with the parents and that every effort was made to warn our student-athletes about the dangers of synthetic marijuana.

Allow me to share with you the facts that we provided to the reporter. Some of them were included in the initial story. Some were not.

Auburn Athletics began testing for synthetic marijuana three days after our testing company made a test available. A test became available on Jan. 24, 2011, and Auburn added the test to its panel on Jan. 27, 2011.

Since our drug testing policy was amended to include synthetic marijuana as a banned substance, there have been three positive tests for the drug out of more than 2,500 drug tests administered. Those three individuals are no longer on Auburn Athletics rosters.

As soon as our Director of Sports Medicine was aware that synthetic marijuana was a drug readily available in convenience stores in the fall of 2010, Auburn Athletics contacted our drug testing company to inquire about whether they had a test for synthetic marijuana and when one would be made available. They did not have a test at the time.

At the same time, our Director of Sports Medicine began education efforts aimed at our coaches and student-athletes.

Auburn Athletics provided urine samples to the drug testing company to assist them in their efforts to develop a test.

The Director of Sports Medicine and former Coach Gene Chizik both addressed the football team about the dangers of synthetic marijuana at multiple team meetings in the Fall of 2010, before a test was available. A story about the drug was placed on the locker of every football player on the team.

Within the first few months of testing, 3 percent of our student-athletes tested positive for synthetic marijuana.

Phone records show that more than 50 phone calls were made to the parents of two former student-athletes who were interviewed by ESPN.

The father of one of the student-athletes who was apparently interviewed by ESPN was sent a letter informing him that his son had failed a drug test for regular marijuana two months before the robbery.

The Auburn Drug Testing/Drug Education Advisory Committee recommended to the Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics that synthetic marijuana be added to the Auburn Athletics drug testing policy on March 14, 2011. The policy change was adopted that day.

Penalties for the use of synthetic marijuana were put into place for the next academic year beginning in August of 2011. Since it became a banned substance under the drug testing policy, only three student-athletes have tested positive for synthetic marijuana out of more than 2,500 tests administered.

I hope the facts clear up any misconceptions about drug use among our student-athletes. It is important for you to know that Auburn Athletics conducts approximately 1,500 drug tests each academic year. Less than one percent of our student-athletes test positive for illegal substances.

God Bless and War Eagle,

Jay
    McNeil's lawyers used Roberts to further their own agenda as they try and blame somebody, anybody for McNeil's actions. Roberts used McNeil as a platform to push her anti-Auburn/anti-college athletics agenda. Lazy sports entertainment networks filled some time with a titillating tale of intuitive innuendo that required no work to pimp.

We're all dumber for it in the meantime.
    Last edited by jojo; 04-04-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Before anyone wants to blather about Auburn and drugs because ESPN magazine is about to publish an article stemming from the grand jury testimony of McNeil and company (the defense tried to blame the armed robbery attempt on a culture of drug use that Auburn was supposedly allowing to happen), here is Auburn's statement to ESPN and to the community:

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m...040413aaa.html

McNeil's lawyers used Roberts to furter their own agenda as they try and blame somebody, anybody for McNeil's actions. Roberts used McNeil as a platform to push her anti-Auburn/anti-college athletics agenda. Lazy sports entertainment networks filled some time with a titillating tale of intuitive innuendo that required no work to pimp.

We're all dumber for it in the meantime.
    Luckily for you we all know how incompetent and void of integrity the NCAA is. They botch everything and will surely botch this. We also know that nobody closes ranks and covers cheating like Auburn and other SEC schools. They have plenty of practice.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?