Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Forecasted Minor League Free Agents

Re: Forecasted Minor League Free Agents

Bumping this thread to see if we can come up with a solid list now.

First The Pitchers:

Chad Reineke has already opted for Free Agency. Tim Hamulack and Tyree Hayes have already been released.

Other pitchers who seem to be FA

Cochran
    Mobley
    Avery
    Gil
    Gustafson
    Lehr

Others in question would seem to be Ruben Medina who was an IFA in 2004 and Doug Salinas who was an IFA in July of 2005. I think that both are FA. the 2006 guys like Tanner, Webb, Hynick and McCulloch are not FA if I understand it.

On the poistion player side, besides Corky Miller who is on this list every year

Cook
    Costanzo
    Griffin
    Campbell
    Skelton

Others in question would be Jose Gauldron and Carlos Mendez who were both signed as IFA in February of 2005 and Miguel Rojas who was an IFA signed in November of 2005. I'm guessing that Mendez and Gauldron are FA and Rojas is not.

My question is about guys who have already been FA but don't have the service time. Quentin Berry and Clayton Tanner are examples of guys the Reds signed as FA. From a year entered standpoint, I don't think these guys are eligible, but I'm thinking once they've been FA, they are eligible but that could be completely wrong. I'd like to have both of those guys back next year (especially Tanner) and wonder about their status.

Anyone with info, lets see if we can get a complete list that we all agree is correct.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Correct on all accounts.

Any idea on the other minor league free agents yet, Doc?

-The Insider-

Me? I dunno.

Not sure if it belongs here, but the Yankees have parted ways with once uber draft prospect and local boy Andrew Brackman. He has had health issues and his control was terrible this year. Is he worth a NRI and minor league slot?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Not sure if it belongs here, but the Yankees have parted ways with once uber draft prospect and local boy Andrew Brackman. He has had health issues and his control was terrible this year. Is he worth a NRI and minor league slot?
    Definitely.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I have followed Drew's career very closely since he attended my high school and he is related to one of my very good freinds.

I would love for the Reds to take a flyer on Drew just because he is a local boy, but I really hold no expectations for him ever developing into a useful pitcher.

His BB/9 this past year (in 96 IP) was 7.0 and his K rate shrank to 7.0. A K:BB ratio of 1 is not going to cut it. Furthermore, I watched both of his outings in the bigs last September and I could tell from that video that his stuff just isn't the same as it was in high school. His velocity was barely breaking 90 after he used to touch triple digits.

Unfortunately, he just isn't the same guy the Yankees drafted in the first round. If he wasn't a local guy who I knew, I don't think there is a way I would want the Reds to waste their time on him, but maybe a change of scenery can help him out. His 2010 numbers were passable 8.1 K/9, 2.5 BB/9 in 140.2, but last year was disheartening to say the least.

-The Insider-

Dang, he had a clause in his contract that the Yankees would have to release him if they didn't pick up his option.

I believe the following players are minor league free agents:
    C Corky Miller
    C James Skelton
    3B/1B Mike Costanzo
    3B/1B Carlos Mendez
    SS Miguel Rojas
    IF Jose Castro
    IF Jose Gualdron
    OF David Cook
    UT Eric Campbell
    UT Mike Griffin

SP Chad Reineke
    SP Justin Lehr
    SP Tom Cochran
    SP James Avery
    SP Daryl Thompson
    RP Jerry Gil
    RP Chris Mobley
    RP Jared Burton
    RP Ruben Medina
    RP Doug Salinas

Of the players above, I'd like to keep the following around on minor league contracts:
    Corky Miller or James Skelton - the Reds could use a AAA catcher
    Miguel Rojas - you can never have enough defense in the minors
    Eric Campbell - maybe the Reds found something?
    Daryl Thompson - I'm not ready to give up on him
    Jerry Gil - he has made so much progress, and it'd be nice to see the Reds finally reap some benefits from it

I like your choices. That said, I wouldn't mind them hanging onto both Miller (who's just special, in his own way) and Skelton (not a bad talent for catcher depth). And, although I don't see him as a major-leaguer, Avery has done some good things and seems to be liked by the organization.

Rojas is a must, in my view. And Campbell is certainly intriguing.

-The Insider-

Cam, I don't believe Rojas is a free agent. Not 100 percent sure, but pretty confident. Also, Tim Gustafason and Quintin Berrt are free agents as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Cam, I don't believe Rojas is a free agent. Not 100 percent sure, but pretty confident. Also, Tim Gustafason and Quintin Berrt are free agents as well.
    I wasn't sure about Gustafson and Berry since neither have six full years of service time, but I figured the Reds might've signed a couple of the guys mentioned above to two-year contracts e.g. Clayton Tanner.

As for Rojas, he was signed in November of '05, which I believe would give him six full years of service time.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I wasn't sure about Gustafson and Berry since neither have six full years of service time, but I figured the Reds might've signed a couple of the guys mentioned above to two-year contracts e.g. Clayton Tanner.

As for Rojas, he was signed in November of '05, which I believe would give him six full years of service time.
    Yeah I know for sure Gus is a free agent. Almost positive about Q Berry. And they signed Tanner to a two-year deal?

And I think it's if you played a "full" year in 05. Rojas didn't play until 06.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Yeah I know for sure Gus is a free agent. Almost positive about Q Berry. And they signed Tanner to a two-year deal?

And I think it's if you played a "full" year in 05. Rojas didn't play until 06.
    06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11. That's six full seasons.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I don't know for sure that Tanner signed a two-year contract. I just know it'd be weird for him to sign a contract just to pitch one game for an organization. That's usually reserved for publicity stunts and whatnot. The Reds have a need at pitcher, and Louisville is a great place to play, so I could see what the draw would be for Tanner to sign on for more than the last few days of the season.

Turn Off Ads?