Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds in the movie "Moneyball"

Reds in the movie "Moneyball"

I saw an advanced screening of "Moneyball" with my wife last night in Dayton. We both loved it. It has a lot going for it: Comedy, Drama, Baseball action, all done well. Strong acting by Pitt and Jonah Hill. A fat and grumpy Art Howe... great scenary on location which really makes you feel like your stepping into the batter's box, locker room, or front office. DLP on the big screen makes all other MLB movies I've seen pale in comparison visually. Voiceovers from some great commentators and some real life footage from the early days of baseball and from the period, all are well done.

Prominent Reds I saw/heard in the movie:
    Thom Brenneman
    Marty Brenneman
    Joe Morgan
    Actors playing ballplayers:
    Eddie Guardado
    Scott Hatteberg
    Ramon Hernandez
    Aaron Harang (didn't see him, but he might have been in some shots)
    Carlos Perez (not a Red, but from Wright State Univ.)

I think it's worth your cash. Enjoy if so!
    Last edited by powersackers; 09-16-2011 at 03:27 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds in the movie "Moneyball"

Was planning on seeing this next weekend. I'm glad to hear it was good. Did you read the book? I'm assuming they took quite a few liberties, and the movie isn't completely accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by drowg14 View Post
    Was planning on seeing this next weekend. I'm glad to hear it was good. Did you read the book? I'm assuming they took quite a few liberties, and the movie isn't completely accurate.
    I did not read the book. But Aaron Gleeman (buddy and sportswriter for NBC.com) told me it did take liberty's, and I might enjoy it more w/o having read it.

Starting to want to see this movie. I really had no desire to see it when it was first announced, but after seeing the trailer about five or six times I kinda do. It's the power of marketing.

Carlos Pena from Wright State?
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

This movie I believe is referring to the early 2000 Athletics, which won 100+ games for two of those seasons I think. They had a squad man, Barry Zito, David Justice, Eric Chavez, Carlos Pena.

Quote Originally Posted by smoke6 View Post
    Carlos Pena from Wright State?
    Yup.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...penaca01.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by jwmann2 View Post
    This movie I believe is referring to the early 2000 Athletics, which won 100+ games for two of those seasons I think. They had a squad man, Barry Zito, David Justice, Eric Chavez, Carlos Pena.
    Yes, 2002 A's. In 2001 they lost Giambi, Damon and Issringhausen to Free Agency after winning the AL West and losing in 5 in the DS. They lost in 5 games in the DS or LCS something like 4 or 5 years in a row. Pena is key to the movie and for a surprising reason. A couple of the best scenes in the movie are about him.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Yes, I know. I was there at the same time. Just wondering if he meant Pena not Perez.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Oops, ya I meant Pena.

Turn Off Ads?